The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Towhat extent is Kenya ever likely to achieve its MDGs? (15 marks)
What would you include for this question?

Thanks xxx
Original post by Bunny2014

Thanks xxx

The MDG run out this year.
. So very unlikely.
Original post by Pebble 99
The MDG run out this year.
. So very unlikely.

How would one elaborate that for 15 marks??
Advantages and disadvantages of Kenya's healthy service????
TheKenyan health-care service is not fit for purpose. Discuss. (10 marks)
Is this question a for and an against argument? What would be the points showing how the Kenyan health service is fit for purpose? xxx
Original post by JackWilsh10
GUYS LOOK AT THIS MAJOR FLAW IN THE MAP P8:

- figure p7 shows 19 or less people live in the grey areas
- figure p8 suggests 24 or less people living in poverty

--> Well, there can't be more than 19 people living in poverty because this is the max number of people who live in the grey area - FLAWED MAP

I don't think this is flawed, in P7 there are small spots of higher population density within the grey mass, so P8 has to be over 24 I assume to account for these spots. Interestingly, these spots of population density are really high (100-599) but are not areas of dense poverty - especially interesting as in the East it has the least fertile land, does anyone have any ideas to why these guys aren't in poverty?
Original post by JulietR
thank you :smile:) how are you preparing for this exam?

doing the questions and planning in short periods of time, then getting any recent information (like teenage pregnancy increasing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33144375

and just keeping mindmaps over related charities, MDGs, vision 2030 :smile:
Could someone help me with answering question 13??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rural communities in Kenya need special help to reach the MDGs. Discuss evidence.
help pls??
Original post by lucy2311
Does anyone know any advantages and disadvantages of the rolling expat programme in item 3 and question 33 in the zig zag booklet? The only advantages I can think of is that it provides experience for students training medicine and it is cheaper than paying actual doctors (I don't know if this is actually true though? I might have made this up haha ). The only disadvantage I can think of is that this people are not fully trained so may not be as reliable.

Advantages:
- the doctors can transfer their skills to the Kenyan health service therefore making people more economically active (contributing to the economy because of more formal paid jobs) and still continuing the health developments even after the two year training is finished
- it can allow doctors to be spread around more equally to different regions, they wouldn't concentrate them in one area but instead would disperse them to more rural areas
- The obvious (help more people)
- they may create enough pressure to bring about infrastructural change - this was shown in 2012 when doctors went on strike over poor working conditions, this can also be a negative because it will disrupt health care service

Disadvantages:
- with skills comes more job opportunities which the Kenyans may seek in other countries with better paying/better working conditions jobs - this also enforced by the 2012 strike where they also wanted better pay (trainees were not being paid)
- it relies on cooperation with source country of trainee doctors which may be resilient, for example with the UK this will mean a loss of skilled professionals of which we lack (brain drain), it will worsen the ageing population structure with a loss of working age people, less money via taxes and we have an 'isolationism attitude' where we are (can be) against giving foreign aid
- the system also relies on a efficient system to organise the workers which Kenya lacks - it has no strong foundation to any aspect of its health care.

Link to the article of 2012 strike: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19590576

and more recently in 2014: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/01/kenya-health-workers-claim-mismanagement-20141751735209910.html
http://allafrica.com/stories/201408190836.html
Original post by emilyak
Could someone help me with answering question 13??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overall its not that economically sustainable. Riders supply health workers with motorcycles and train them how to fix them instead of just abandoning them if they break. But its funded by the motorcycle community and if this funding fails they can't supply the motorcycles, parts to fix them or more training. So although the skills they have learned are socially sustainable because they can be passed on they still rely on Riders for parts and fuel which they can't get if there's no funding. Also although people can be trained to fix them they can't last forever which means they'll all need replacing eventually.
Reply 351
Can anyone find the 'Strengthening Service Delivery Systems' mentioned in Item 4?
Anyone have any typed up notes or good resources for revision? I haven't done any work so far.

Much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by Bunny2014

Thanks xxx

My plan for this question:
1. Intro explaining that the goals should all be analysed independently as they are all different and have different factors affecting them. Also a good way to achieve some synopticity is to mention that the success of the goals will vary over space and time.
2. Current progress of Kenya towards the MDGs, referencing facts and figures and mentioning the goals that have been achieved and those that haven't. You could also talk about how Riders have helped towards the goals.
3. Challenges restricting development and progress towards the MDGs, splitting this up into physical and human factors, such as climate and brain drain.
4. Future development prospects: Vision 2030 and I would use item 4 to show how Kenya is commited to achieving the MDGs, even though they have not met the deadlin for them.
Original post by asianjim
1. Intro explaining that the goals should all be analysed independently as they are all different and have different factors affecting them. Also a good way to achieve some synopticity is to mention that the success of the goals will vary over space and time.
2. Current progress of Kenya towards the MDGs, referencing facts and figures and mentioning the goals that have been achieved and those that haven't. You could also talk about how Riders have helped towards the goals.
3. Challenges restricting development and progress towards the MDGs, splitting this up into physical and human factors, such as climate and brain drain.
4. Future development prospects: Vision 2030 and I would use item 4 to show how Kenya is commited to achieving the MDGs, even though they have not met the deadlin for them.

Thank you very much! :smile:

Hows revision going?? xxx
Does anyone know where i can find the mark scheme for the booklet and mock papers for zig zag resources please?
Original post by asianjim

when referring to vision 2013, what is best to mention?? Xx
Original post by Gr8banterm9
Okay help, I have been highlighting my AIB and then realised that it says on the front - "Must be kept unmarked" - What should I do?

You get another unmarked one when you go to the exam don't worry.
Can i just ask? What level of knowledge on the surrounding topics are you taking? The exam is Friday and I've done all of the recommended reading and even to a certain extent, more. Is it fair to say that if you've done the reading and are relatively competent at analysing source material quickly and cross referencing then it is really a case of 'winging it'?

Lewis Anderson.
Original post by Lewisanderson1
Can i just ask? What level of knowledge on the surrounding topics are you taking? The exam is Friday and I've done all of the recommended reading and even to a certain extent, more. Is it fair to say that if you've done the reading and are relatively competent at analysing source material quickly and cross referencing then it is really a case of 'winging it'?

Lewis Anderson.

Yeah the examiners like to see your viewpoint and how you back up your viewpoint using knowledge and figures. Don't think of it as a right or wrong answer as long as you are confident you'll be cool. Good luck !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending