The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Life cycle of stars or comparison of telescopes personally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think comparing radio with optical would be a good comparison
Original post by Tomh97
Can someone explain why cathode rays are produced in a discharge tube?

Electrons collide with the few air particles which excite the electrons in the particles. When the electrons in the air particles de-excite back to ground state they release photons which is why you see a beam of light. The particles coming from the cathode (the electrons) must be negative because they move from the cathode to the anode.
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
This is from OCR june 14 paper: (6 marks)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434570453.403114.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434570490.640277.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brutal 6 marker that is
Original post by Dante991
Astrophysicists, what are your guesses for the 6 marker? I hope it's something really nice like fusion occurring in stars lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking proof for the expansion of the universe
Original post by examiningboard
No. We can never presume anything. There are two ways AQA could have thought:
1: Damn! Our papers were stolen again, better whip up a paper at the last minute and make it ridiculous because we're so so angry
2: Quick! Write a paper at the last minute, who cares what goes into it! Which would be the slightly easier outcome. But probably full of mistakes :clap2:

But basically, we have no idea what it'll be like.
Although if it means anything, I know some people who did the BIO5 exam today that was a re-write and apparently it was horrible.

I did that exam today, I thought it was fine. I reckon they won't make this paper significantly harder, maybe slightly more obscure questions...
This is from OCR june 14 paper: (6 marks)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434570453.403114.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434570490.640277.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that's OCR?
Ah crap i forgot to revise :frown:
How can anyone revise for physics when we don't know whether or not Jon Snow is still alive!
Sorry guys, i think i spammed the poll. It was my first time voting so i think it was my fault. I didn't even know that would happen. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ricardomontoya97
How can anyone revise for physics when we don't know whether or not Jon Snow is still alive!

Have you read the books? :colone:
Sorry guys, i think i spammed the poll. It was my first time voting so i think it was my fault. I didn't even know that would happen. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case i take back what i said about the person spamming the poll :biggrin:
Please could someone explain how to do 4bii?
Original post by MSB47
Yeah and that can be displayed as I=k x 1/x2 then sub in K=Io/4pi and that makes the equation...

I=(Io/4pi) (1/X2)
which leads to I=Io/4pi(X)2

Ok thanks.. I didn't even realise k was actually Io/4pi in the first place.
Original post by SuperMushroom
Have you read the books? :colone:

No but I think we're up to date with the books now? so no-one knows what going to happen! haha But really the red lady will revive Jon Snow, quite obvious I think
image.jpg
Original post by MSB47
Yeah and that can be displayed as I=k x 1/x2 then sub in K=Io/4pi and that makes the equation...

I=(Io/4pi) (1/X2)
which leads to I=Io/4pi(X)2

Are you sure k isn't just equal to 1/4pi because Io is already in the equation here.... Not that it matters but if it was Io/4pi then you'd end up with Io squared on top
No but I think we're up to date with the books now? so no-one knows what going to happen! haha But really the red lady will revive Jon Snow, quite obvious I think

I dont watch the TV series i just assumed you knew that from the books haha,

damn i really need to watch it sometime

Kill the boy, and let the man be born.
Original post by Dante991
Astrophysicists, what are your guesses for the 6 marker? I hope it's something really nice like fusion occurring in stars lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you mean by fusion occurring in stars exactly?
Hoping it's refracting vs reflecting telescopes for the six marker to be honest
Reply 2458
Original post by Plasmapause
Please could someone explain how to do 4bii?

1) calculate energy of copper

2) calculate how much energy has been used to warm water to 100 degrees

1) takeaway 2) would give you energy left
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a.a.k
1) calculate energy of copper

2) calculate how much energy has been used to warm water to 100 degrees

10 takeaway 2) would give you energy left

Oooooh... I get it now. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending