The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Anyone still stuck on ideal gas derivative?
Watch this amazing video by Bob Eagle and it'll be so so clear! Takes like 4 minutes. https://youtu.be/JOs8UQSWmos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by examiningboard
I'm thinking proof for the expansion of the universe

What do you mean by this? Hubbles law compared to using 1a supernovae as standard cradles and using m-M=5logd/10?
Can someone explain this question please

The Treptow Giant Telescope in Berlin is the longest moveable refracting telescope on
Earth. Some of its properties are summarised below:

distance between the objective lens and eyepiece lens = 21 m
angular magnification = 210
objective lens diameter = 0.68 m

1 (b) (i) Calculate the focal lengths of the eyepiece lens and objective lens of the Treptow Giant
Telescope
Original post by JJBinn
What do you mean by this? Hubbles law compared to using 1a supernovae as standard cradles and using m-M=5logd/10?

Yeah, it was on in 2010 I think. It's quite a nice easy one, keeping fingers crossed!
Feel confident for this exam. Unit 5 is my strong point, and I've managed to get 120 UMS on every past paper under exam conditions. However, I was confident for the Unit 4 one and that went awfully, so I am a little on edge! I feel like the six markers could be horrible

I'm also too worn out to revise, this is my 11th and final exam. Anyone in a similar situation?
The 'previous 6 markers' bit isn't showing anything?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA51-QP-JUN14.PDF

Question 1)b) ii)

Why do you not include the neutrons in the binding energy calculation?
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Sorry guys, i think i spammed the poll. It was my first time voting so i think it was my fault. I didn't even know that would happen. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you manage to accidentally spam a poll with 1000 votes? o.O What makes you think you caused it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Whateverisbest

Question 1)b) ii)

ffs
Original post by Whateverisbest

Question 1)b) ii)

How would you include the neutron ? Their binding energy is zero, its not a nucleus
Can anyone please help me understand how the magnitude formula is used in real world? So if you have apparent magnitude and distance you can get absolute magnitude and compare it with other stars. Great. But how did you get apparent magnitude and distance in the first place? How does it fit with Wien's law, Stefan's law, spectral classes, intensity formul all that good stuff?
Original post by RobHunter97
Feel confident for this exam. Unit 5 is my strong point, and I've managed to get 120 UMS on every past paper under exam conditions. However, I was confident for the Unit 4 one and that went awfully, so I am a little on edge! I feel like the six markers could be horrible

I'm also too worn out to revise, this is my 11th and final exam. Anyone in a similar situation?

Similar! 11th and not final exam :| Fortunately it's just M2 left on Monday after this so I can finally relax after tomorrow. I'm sure it'll go fine for you :smile: good luck!
Reply 2472
Original post by NightStrider
How would you include the neutron ? Their binding energy is zero, its not a nucleus

Ok now i am confused.
Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile
For June 14 question 1bii, why do you not include the binding energy of the neutrons?
Hey guys, why do you you not include the binding energy of neutrons :/ ??

:colone:
What does energetically favorable mean in nuclear fisson/fusion
Original post by Me123456789
Can someone explain this question please

The Treptow Giant Telescope in Berlin is the longest moveable refracting telescope on
Earth. Some of its properties are summarised below:

distance between the objective lens and eyepiece lens = 21 m
angular magnification = 210
objective lens diameter = 0.68 m

1 (b) (i) Calculate the focal lengths of the eyepiece lens and objective lens of the Treptow Giant
Telescope

Basically as the distance between the two lenses is 21m you know that fo + fe =21, a formula for magnification is fo/fe. So fo/fe =210. If you rearrange that to get fo=210fe and sub that into fo+fe=21 you'll end up getting 210fe+fe=21.... 211fe=21.... fe=21/211=0.1 roughly. You then sub that into fo+fe=21
In calculating the mass defect:

Individual constituents masses - mass of the nucleus

do we need to include the mass of the electrons around the nucleus?
Original post by a.a.k
Ok now i am confused.
Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile

He said june 14 ?
What are the popular predictions for section A and Astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending