The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hello everyone!
I was going over the spec and was unsure about what they mean by "Explain the concepts of web page design." I haven't seen any past paper questions on this and was wondering if anyone knew what we are expected to know for this?
Reply 121
Original post by Tyche
Hello everyone!
I was going over the spec and was unsure about what they mean by "Explain the concepts of web page design." I haven't seen any past paper questions on this and was wondering if anyone knew what we are expected to know for this?

The only thing I've seen before is the typical features of a well-designed web page.

It's common sense stuff really:
all links should be correct
the page should load quickly
the page should contain links to other pages/be navigable
the page should make sensible or imaginative use of fonts and colour for those with a visual impairment
it should comply with established web standards

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
I have a serious problem with WJEC Computing.

I'm an absolute nerd at heart, I work as a glorified Desktop System Analyst, use SQL all day long and do heaps on programming but this paper brings me to me knees.

In the CG4 coursework I got 67/70 UMS but then on the exam wow..The mark schemes for these papers are so annoying

"Disadvantage of online shopping" .. "Reduction in customer for high street shops which results in shop closing" like wtf does that have to do with computing. I was rolling the facts down about fraud, tracking, credit cards .etc. only to qualify for half the marks.. UH!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by Enrico2285
I have a serious problem with WJEC Computing.

I'm an absolute nerd at heart, I work as a glorified Desktop System Analyst, use SQL all day long and do heaps on programming but this paper brings me to me knees.

In the CG4 coursework I got 67/70 UMS but then on the exam wow..The mark schemes for these papers are so annoying

"Disadvantage of online shopping" .. "Reduction in customer for high street shops which results in shop closing" like wtf does that have to do with computing. I was rolling the facts down about fraud, tracking, credit cards .etc. only to qualify for half the marks.. UH!

It's not really a computing qualification really. I take it you're doing Computer Science at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by CD223
It's not really a computing qualification really. I take it you're doing Computer Science at uni?

That's the plan, but I'm not very good at dealing with exam pressure.. so I'm finding it really hard to do well enough in my other subjects
Reply 125
That's the plan, but I'm not very good at dealing with exam pressure.. so I'm finding it really hard to do well enough in my other subjects

What else do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
Original post by CD223
What else do you do?

Physics and Business Studies
Reply 127
Physics and Business Studies

Cool! How are you revising ahead of Tuesday?
Reply 128
Any predictions on what will likely show up in the paper ?
Has anyone got a mark scheme for the 2011 23rd June CG3 paper? I just did it and i can't find a mark scheme!! -.-
Reply 130
Original post by jamietopp21
Has anyone got a mark scheme for the 2011 23rd June CG3 paper? I just did it and i can't find a mark scheme!! -.-

Here is a link to ALL papers from 2009 onwards including examiner reports, mark schemes and the question papers themselves

Enjoy and good luck! :smile:

http://files.ventola.eu/index.php/s/KdKQtH8R522jEON
(edited 8 years ago)
Here is a link to ALL papers from 2009 onwards including examiner reports, mark schemes and the question papers themselves

Enjoy and good luck! :smile:

http://files.ventola.eu/index.php/s/KdKQtH8R522jEON

Ahh thank you so much! just marked myself (i try to mark harshly on myself) and i got 72! only took me just over an hour, pleased with that! :biggrin:
Reply 132
Anyone know any examples of translation errors?
Reply 133
Original post by Tyche
Anyone know any examples of translation errors?

Are they on the spec?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Original post by CD223
Are they on the spec?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah CG3.8, under the program translation sub topic: "Distinguish between, recognise and give examples of translation, linking and execution errors."
Reply 135
Original post by Tyche
Yeah CG3.8, under the program translation sub topic: "Distinguish between, recognise and give examples of translation, linking and execution errors."

I've seen linking errors on the papers but not the others.

We weren't taught it either.

Erm, I can only guess that it means:

a program has issues in translating the source code from a high level language to machine code
this might arise because:
- the syntax of the language doesn't fit the BNF type rules it was defined by
- semantic errors are found in the program where the wrong data type is assigned to a variable

It's difficult - the ones I listed above could easily be interpreted as execution errors - but I suppose execution errors don't always mean the program has to crash?

Sorry for the non-concrete answer. How would you interpret it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
Original post by CD223
I've seen linking errors on the papers but not the others.

We weren't taught it either.

Erm, I can only guess that it means:

a program has issues in translating the source code from a high level language to machine code
this might arise because:
- the syntax of the language doesn't fit the BNF type rules it was defined by
- semantic errors are found in the program where the wrong data type is assigned to a variable

It's difficult - the ones I listed above could easily be interpreted as execution errors - but I suppose execution errors don't always mean the program has to crash?

Sorry for the non-concrete answer. How would you interpret it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Yeah I guess that's what it means. I'm trying to piece stuff together because we just focused on coursework for the majority of the year and our teachers rushed through theory. Sorry I couldn't help.

I found an online copy of "theteacher" whilst looking for what it may mean, it contains notes based on the wjec spec: http://theteacher99.host22.com/
Reply 137
Original post by CD223
Cool! How are you revising ahead of Tuesday?

This is my last exam, just going through the revision guide that I've got and past papers

Original post by jamietopp21
It really would be haha! I really hope its something fairly nice, it would be good to get those 10-12 marks in the bag!Here are the topics of the essay style questions from previous years:Jun 09 - Human computer interfaces (HCI), speech and hand writtingJan 10 - Languages, special purpose, 4th generation, scriptingJun 10 - HCI, GUI, speech, handwritingJan 11 - compliersjun 11 - HCIjan 12 - Langages, visual, 4th gen, OOP, packagesjune 12 - CASE, compilers and debuggersjan 13 - input and output methods, physical disabilitiesjun 13 - access methods, sequential, indexed sequential, randomjan 14 - Compilers and debuggers, software development toolsjun 14 - HCIjun 15 - ????From this I would assume it is unlikely HCI will come up as it has done already so frequently and it was last years, looks like languages is due to come up, which is horrible, but i wouldn't want to say anything for certain!

I think "Langages, visual, 4th gen, OOP, packages" may arise again, If it did I suspect that it would catch loads of people out.. In all fairness I think it's harder than most of the spec
Binary question.jpg
Can anyone help me out with the b ii)?

I've copied and pasted the mark scheme onto it so it shows the working that I can't get. I understand how they got 11111101 when adding -7 and 3 together, but then they've applied twos complement again to get 00000011. Why was twos complement applied again? Also how can 00000011 = -3? Aren't binary numbers that start with a zero a positive number?
Original post by Silvalry
Binary question.jpg
Can anyone help me out with the b ii)?

I've copied and pasted the mark scheme onto it so it shows the working that I can't get. I understand how they got 11111101 when adding -7 and 3 together, but then they've applied twos complement again to get 00000011. Why was twos complement applied again? Also how can 00000011 = -3? Aren't binary numbers that start with a zero a positive number?

Never mind. Took a while but I figured it out. Keep on getting the rules for twos complement and sign/magnitude mixed up :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending