The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rezaa
I did the same! My teacher said thats fine as long as its scientifically accurate showing well developed understanding in that topic. Enough for 12/16 for scientific content. Plus the 3/3 for breadth :smile:

How about if you only focused on internal responses like the immune system, blood glucose, haemoglobin & blood ph in detail? Would you lose marks?
Reply 2261
Original post by RebeccaHoran
How about if you only focused on internal responses like the immune system, blood glucose, haemoglobin & blood ph in detail? Would you lose marks?

Yeah I guess because it did say explain responses to change in the external environment too :frown: Id say maybe a breadth and couple of scientific content marks dropped?
Original post by Rezaa
Yeah I guess because it did say explain responses to change in the external environment too :frown: Id say maybe a breadth and couple of scientific content marks dropped?

Ah I thought so :frown: I had a brain freeze and then ran out of time, how many marks do you think would be lost?
I wrote essay 10A andbi wrote about lung function and tissue fluid is that relevant
Reply 2264
Original post by RebeccaHoran
Ah I thought so :frown: I had a brain freeze and then ran out of time, how many marks do you think would be lost?

I reckon if you developed your answer well and accurately it'd be 8/16 for content. And 2/3 for breadth.
Reply 2265
Original post by nualamurphy5
I wrote essay 10A andbi wrote about lung function and tissue fluid is that relevant

Controlling rate of ventilation is a marking point if you included that?
Did anyone understand the last question about the graph with the resistant and non-resistance plants? To me it seemed like they were meant to put non-resistant with the enzyme instead of resistant with the enzyme,it made me so confused :s-smilie:
Original post by jessicasydes1
Did anyone understand the last question about the graph with the resistant and non-resistance plants? To me it seemed like they were meant to put non-resistant with the enzyme instead of resistant with the enzyme,it made me so confused :s-smilie:

It was resistant with PM inhibited and resistant (without PM inhibited). The question said that other factors (besides PM) increased survival. As the flies with resistance but PM inhibited was greater for surviving. Roughly 125 minutes for them to all die as opposed to 55 minutes for non resistant flies. So from that you know that resistance (another factor) is increasing survival. You could also compare that to the flies that don't have PM inhibited to show that it's not as effective for survival but nonetheless it improves it.
Did we need figures for the fly resistant question? I got the idea of involvement of other factors, but that inhibition did have some effect, by comparing the groups. The only figure I included was saying that when all the normal flies were dead, only about 50% of the inhibited group were :smile:
Reply 2269
For the essay question 10a, I wrote about adaption and speciation as well as pests. Is that irrelevent or would i get marks for that
anyone doing a mark scheme ? hoping i got a high c/b but i bet i didn't :/
Original post by aaman1
For the essay question 10a, I wrote about adaption and speciation as well as pests. Is that irrelevent or would i get marks for that

I wrote about that too - seems relevant, as long as you linked it back to the question :smile:
Reply 2272
Original post by biosixthform97
I wrote about that too - seems relevant, as long as you linked it back to the question :smile:

Yeah, I said how they adapt to changes in environment and all that 'increased allele frequency' stuff. For the pests, I wrote how they become resistant to pesticides as a response..
Does bird navigation play any relevance to the first essay? I wrote how birds migrate due to colder climates :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatsimmortality

Spoiler

I put the same too! hahaha!
I attempted question 10a and I'm freaking out I'm so worried!!!!I spoke about mostly thermoregulation; how thermoreceptors detect high temperatures and that controlling of an internal environment is integral to avoid denaturing of essential enzymes such as dehydrogenase which oxadises triosephosphate in glycolysis for synthesis of ATP.I also said in times of high heat, due to this importance of a maintained body temperature, the body releases sweat so heat from skin is conducted. But then I went into LOADS of detail about how the body heats itself up in response to cold temperatures. I basically outlined every philosogical change that occurs to make someone "shiver". I spent ages talking about THE ENTIRE process:

- thermoreceptors detecting low temp in external environment• stimulates heating center of hypothalamus

- increases the amount of action potentials in autonomic nervous system• outlined the transmission of an action potential (sodium ions and each stage in polarisation)

- how in order for this nerve impulse to be transmitted, ATP is needed for sodium potassium pumo to actively tansport sodium outside the membrane such depolation can occur.

- ATP production is dependant on emzymes not being denatured in response to heat and having enough kimetic emergy to move to intermembrame space in chemoosmotic theory, where ATP is produced via diffusion of protons down ATPSynthase. Energy for movement of protons comes from the photons released as result of redox reactions when electrons move to subsequently lower energy stattes in oxidative phisphorilisation.

- how this then leads to exocytosis of vesicles containing acetylcholine in neuromuscular junctions

- increased temporal summatiom so threshold is more quickly achieved• therefore more changing in 3D shape of post synaptic receptors so more influx of sodium ions in t tube and thus more release of calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic rectillium to bind to troponin.

- therefore myosin heads bind at a higher rate to actin filament and more power strokes/cross bridges occur.

- Therefore shivering is a result of low temperatures and creates friction to increase the internal temoerature to 37°C.I know there's a lot in this process, but I'm worried to death because I'm only talking about ONE process (shivering).

I also mentioned about temperature avoiding enzyme denaturation, and I spoke at the end about the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) stimulating pineal gland to release melatonin to induce sleep in response to low light.I feel like I have talked WAY too much about one topic, instead of covering 4-5 areas in less detail. I am SO WORRIED!!!How badly will my mark be affected by doing this??? :frown: someone please reply :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JusOneLonelyNiga
I attempted question 10a and I'm freaking out I'm so worried!!!!I spoke about mostly thermoregulation; how thermoreceptors detect high temperatures and that controlling of an internal environment is integral to avoid denaturing of essential enzymes such as dehydrogenase which oxadises triosephosphate in glycolysis for synthesis of ATP.I also said in times of high heat, due to this importance of a maintained body temperature, the body releases sweat so heat from skin is conducted. But then I went into LOADS of detail about how the body heats itself up in response to cold temperatures. I basically outlined every philosogical change that occurs to make someone "shiver". I spent ages talking about THE ENTIRE process:

- thermoreceptors detecting low temp in external environment• stimulates heating center of hypothalamus

- increases the amount of action potentials in autonomic nervous system• outlined the transmission of an action potential (sodium ions and each stage in polarisation)

- how in order for this nerve impulse to be transmitted, ATP is needed for sodium potassium pumo to actively tansport sodium outside the membrane such depolation can occur.

- ATP production is dependant on emzymes not being denatured in response to heat and having enough kimetic emergy to move to intermembrame space in chemoosmotic theory, where ATP is produced via diffusion of protons down ATPSynthase. Energy for movement of protons comes from the photons released as result of redox reactions when electrons move to subsequently lower energy stattes in oxidative phisphorilisation.

- how this then leads to exocytosis of vesicles containing acetylcholine in neuromuscular junctions

- increased temporal summatiom so threshold is more quickly achieved• therefore more changing in 3D shape of post synaptic receptors so more influx of sodium ions in t tube and thus more release of calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic rectillium to bind to troponin.

- therefore myosin heads bind at a higher rate to actin filament and more power strokes/cross bridges occur.

- Therefore shivering is a result of low temperatures and creates friction to increase the internal temoerature to 37°C.I know there's a lot in this process, but I'm worried to death because I'm only talking about ONE process (shivering).

I also mentioned about temperature avoiding enzyme denaturation, and I spoke at the end about the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) stimulating pineal gland to release melatonin to induce sleep in response to low light.I feel like I have talked WAY too much about one topic, instead of covering 4-5 areas in less detail. I am SO WORRIED!!!How badly will my mark be affected by doing this??? :frown: someone please reply :frown:

Try not to worry too much, our teacher told us that you can get an A on the questions alone, even without attempting the synoptic essay (providing they're all right and obviously wouldn't advise anyone to miss it out, but it is reassuring!) Everything you have written sounds great and there's no point in dwelling on it now that it's done, just be relieved that it's one less exam to worry about 😄
Original post by erudite
Hi! I thought the paper was ok considering my minimal revision, I did essay A for which i wrote about:

Homeostasis principle
Thermoreg
Enzymes
Blood pH -> chemoreceptors
Baroreceptors, pressure, bio basis of heart disease
Immune Response
Stomata/Plants, photosynthesis, plant tropisms
ATP formation in anae respiration
Muscle contraction
Natural selection/Adaptation

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you only need 3 different things to get a breadth of 3? :s-smilie:
Reply 2278
I wrote about relfexes as well in 10a for the external condition change was that a good idea also wrote about phototropism?
in the essay for 10a i wrote about homeostatis of blood temperature, blood glucose concentration, control of heart rate due to co2, gas exchange in plants, gas exchange in insects, variation, taxis and tropism (i put kinesis and action potentials in my plan) i also put extra knowledge about insect sixe due to o2 levels in atmosphere and darwins finches for variation, do people think that would all be suitable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending