The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a123a
What ums do you think 75 would get? I thought an A would be around the same as last year, because last year had a lot more recall questions.

Recall is alot easier than that mess though
Reply 4901
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I thought last years paper was very good and am a bit annoyed that wasn't our real exam as long questions on transcription and translation and biotech are all really good and it tested our unit 5 knowledge at least!

I like to feel challenged and I actually enjoyed last years paper, I thought it was genuinely interesting to see what they had done. This year however I did not get that satisfaction, it felt like a cheap rip off of a real F215.
Original post by a123a
What ums do you think 75 would get? I thought an A would be around the same as last year, because last year had a lot more recall questions.

On one hand, those who didn't learn the content well would have been ok compared to them doing last years paper but people who did might not have done as well as a paper that had so many recall questions. So I think it brings people up but lowers the really studious people at around 50-80 and no higher. I think the grade boundaries will be marginally higher as a result
Original post by NilaJ
I like to feel challenged and I actually enjoyed last years paper, I thought it was genuinely interesting to see what they had done. This year however I did not get that satisfaction, it felt like a cheap rip off of a real F215.

Same! I thought last year had a good balance of how they tried to test as many areas as possible in applied contexts but not ones that were too far out of our comfort zone. It was challenging in a good way and possible if you worked hard but this year's one feels like a guess game and I feel cheated out of my hard work.
Does anyone know the average ums needed for a B overall? An A is out of the window after that paper..
Original post by TeeLisa55
Does anyone know the average ums needed for a B overall? An A is out of the window after that paper..

420 across all units, if you maintained an A throughout your coursework and other exams, you'd need like an E to get a B overall from this paper
420 across all units, if you maintained an A throughout your coursework and other exams, you'd need like an E to get a B overall from this paper

This paper anoyed me soo much i forgot that this was the case i suppose it is not tat bad when you look at it like that
Can someone point me.to the page that has the picture of all the grade boundaries that have been set over the years
Original post by Miller_r
This paper anoyed me soo much i forgot that this was the case i suppose it is not tat bad when you look at it like that

Yeah I was like this for all my subjects - basically secured a B but the difference in getting an A over a B involved getting an A over an E in my final exam. Frustrating that you're so close but it happens...
Unofficial mark scheme?
So are interphase and telophase not correct?? Also I didn't put 1 division or 2 division for mitos meoisis will that deduct marks?
Original post by Student23478
So are interphase and telophase not correct?? Also I didn't put 1 division or 2 division for mitos meoisis will that deduct marks?

I don't think telophase is correct and did you mean that you just put mitosis and meiosis rather than meiosis 2? If you put meiosis 1 or 2, you'd be wrong
I don't think telophase is correct and did you mean that you just put mitosis and meiosis rather than meiosis 2? If you put meiosis 1 or 2, you'd be wrong

I just put mitosis and meoisis surely that will be sufficient? Also is interphase right just not telophase?
I just put mitosis and meoisis surely that will be sufficient? Also is interphase right just not telophase?

Mitosis and meiosis by itself is correct. If it were meiosis 2 then the DNA mass would halve only once but it showed that the mass halved twice.

Well, all that happens in telophase is that nuclear envelope forms and chromosomes recondense. The cells don't divide yet, so this all happens in one cell and then cytokineses finally separates the DNA into two separate cells
Mitosis and meiosis by itself is correct. If it were meiosis 2 then the DNA mass would halve only once but it showed that the mass halved twice.

Well, all that happens in telophase is that nuclear envelope forms and chromosomes recondense. The cells don't divide yet, so this all happens in one cell and then cytokineses finally separates the DNA into two separate cells

Interphase would he right though for the first box ?
Interphase would he right though for the first box ?

I don't see why not. I put DNA replication but that happens during interphase anyway, so why not?
for the question about why X^2 value was not due to chance, i mentioned that it was due to no random mating and not a large population, is this completely wrong?
I don't see why not. I put DNA replication but that happens during interphase anyway, so why not?

What do you reckon grade boundaries will be surely one of the lowest it's been in a long time?
Reply 4919
What do you reckon grade boundaries will be surely one of the lowest it's been in a long time?

no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending