The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student23478
What do you reckon grade boundaries will be surely one of the lowest it's been in a long time?

No, this benefited people who hadn't revised thoroughly. Imagine people who didn't learn the content well getting 50 or 55 due to the fact theyre good at synoptic questions whereas someone who did learn it well scraping 60 because there were few knowledge marks. I reckon like 66 for an A
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
On one hand, those who didn't learn the content well would have been ok compared to them doing last years paper but people who did might not have done as well as a paper that had so many recall questions. So I think it brings people up but lowers the really studious people at around 50-80 and no higher. I think the grade boundaries will be marginally higher as a result

I completely agree I spent so long doing past Q's and revising.. and I swear it only gained me an extra 12 marks than what i would have gotten anyway...but than i dropped probably 10/15 marks extra due to how stuff was phrased its riduculous.. half the knowledge was as and some of it was unit 4 based -.-
The worst thing is i dropped like 12 marks beause of stuff i genuinely didn't know which is fine but some of the questions like about thrombosis and the treatment of it and how it is usaully the casual treatment and it said explain why genuinely confused me (I didn't know if it was asking why there was a range of treatments for different stuff or why the thrombosis was treated for strokes as the standard) not because I didn't have the knowledge but because i swear the questions this year some of which were tooo ambigous or too many suggest questions which leads to the idea that there should be a range of answers but there won't be even thouh its a suggest question.
I honestly felt there wasn't enough actaul a2 f215 knowledge and the questions were not specific.. Too many suggest questions which makes me believe the suggest questions won't have a wide range of answers as they have had previously
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4922
Original post by kieransavage1
for the question about why X^2 value was not due to chance, i mentioned that it was due to no random mating and not a large population, is this completely wrong?

I'm pretty sure the question mentioned a genetic reason why, sorry :frown:
I need 40 ums from this to get a C overall, do you think I'd get that with 33/100?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same boundary as last year imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4925
Original post by p208134
I completely agree I spent so long doing past Q's and revising.. and I swear it only gained me an extra 12 marks than what i would have gotten anyway...but than i dropped probably 10/15 marks extra due to how stuff was phrased its riduculous.. half the knowledge was as and some of it was unit 4 based -.-
The worst thing is i dropped like 12 marks beause of stuff i genuinely didn't know which is fine but some of the questions like about thrombosis and the treatment of it and how it is usaully the casual treatment and it said explain why genuinely confused me (I didn't know if it was asking why there was a range of treatments for different stuff or why the thrombosis was treated for strokes as the standard) not because I didn't have the knowledge but because i swear the questions this year some of which were tooo ambigous or too many suggest questions which leads to the idea that there should be a range of answers but there won't be even thouh its a suggest question.
I honestly felt there wasn't enough actaul a2 f215 knowledge and the questions were not specific.. Too many suggest questions which makes me believe the suggest questions won't have a wide range of answers as they have had previously

I agree, it's unfair to those who learnt the specification inside out. We will have don't just as well as those who didn't because they will get the synoptic as right as us. This has been a theme through most of my OCR exams. Technically the papers will seem 'easier' to people. Particularly those like me who resat a unit (f212) from last year. I don't think it was a fair challenge of a paper.
Reply 4926
Original post by MPH1997
I need 40 ums from this to get a C overall, do you think I'd get that with 33/100?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be 50-60 so yeah you're fine, probably more like 60
Original post by NilaJ
Should be 50-60 so yeah you're fine, probably more like 60

40 ums would be like 20 marks?? Lol are you okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
If an A is like 64???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4929
Would you get the mark for the learning table if you just put reflex for the CDs? That's what it is the book??
Original post by AKR7
Surely the answers to the first question were meiosis 1 and meiosis 2, as meiosis occurs in the reproductive organs and the question asked about the testes? Also, is there an unofficial mark scheme yet?

I hope you're right because that's what I wrote lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4931
Original post by buxtonarmy
How is the automated DNA separated?

Was it electrophoresis?

What question was was that?!
Original post by mawo3
What question was was that?!

It was a 4 marker asking how dna fragments were arranged into size by the machine. stumped me as all i could think of was electrophoresis but then i didn't think that'd be done by a machine so i dunno
Original post by jessicadanby1996
It was a 4 marker asking how dna fragments were arranged into size by the machine. stumped me as all i could think of was electrophoresis but then i didn't think that'd be done by a machine so i dunno

It is like electrophoresis but done in a tube and a computer records the marker colour
Reply 4934
Original post by jessicadanby1996

I can't remember that like, was it the one under the one where you had to draw the sequence? Got a feeling I've misread the question
You had to link it to the machine, say each modified nucleotide added, and the DNA polymerase is thrown off. The strands separate due to length, negative charge of DNA because of phosphoryll groups so travel to the positive electrode. The shorter strands love quicker and would form the first peak. Etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doctor_2_be
I hope so me going to uni depends on this.

It didn't help that the invilator kept asking me if I was OK every 10 min + exam officer is a bitch and hates everyone and wouldn't allow me to apply for special consideration despite teachers saying I should be allowed.

Medicine applicant i assume? rah thats ridiculous, thats definitely sufficient cause for special consideration
Reply 4937
Original post by Captain Anonymous
40 ums would be like 20 marks?? Lol are you okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

An A last year was 63, 63=120 UMS, so 21 marks is around 40UMS.
Im basing this on last year
Cheers for the mark scheme!
Original post by nxn_leon123
Cheers for the mark scheme!

Was this sarcasm or is there an actaul mark scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending