The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarvingAutist
No, you add it. The largest distance is when the earth is on the opposite side of the sun compared to.. the thing

Ahh ok seems I got that wrong then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lad123
For the questions it said show that the value is 'about' x, such as show it was 1.4*10^-15 m and you get 1.43*10^-15, for the next part in the questions do you use 1.43 or 1.4? or doesn't it matter?

they accept both answers :smile:
Original post by superduperbob
I put main sequence

I put main sequence as well in the end after changing from dwarf star, people at my school saying dwarf but I thought the power output was way too high to be a dwarf star :frown:
Original post by StarvingAutist
No, you add it. The largest distance is when the earth is on the opposite side of the sun compared to.. the thing

Yup!
I added 1AU + 2.57AU (largest distance) to get something like 3.57AU to get the largest possible distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fruity97
I put main sequence as well in the end after changing from dwarf star, people at my school saying dwarf but I thought the power output was way too high to be a dwarf star :frown:

I thought this aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2725
Anyone get 2.07x10^6 m2s-2(might have been 7 cant remember) and get 4.7x10^4Jor around that?
Original post by fruity97

i used the fact that its power output is similar to the sun, but much hotter
Original post by SuperMushroom
I thought this aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did it based on temp, it was 5,000K which is an orange star, so therefore it should be a main sequence star
Original post by k9000
Anyone get 2.07x10^6 m2s-2(might have been 7 cant remember) and get 4.7x10^4Jor around that?

I think I may have had 2.06x10^7 but otherwise yes I concur for both
Original post by k9000

Yeah something like that for the mean square speed :smile:
But my energy was different... It was like 1.6*10^7 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2730
Original post by SuperMushroom
For the first question on astro as it gave the distance from the sun in AU and it wanted the distance to the earth so do you take away 1AU from the largest distance given and this would give the distance to the earth

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I did. 2.57-1 AU and convert to metres. Hope that's right. I presume it wanted the distance between the centres and we didnt have to remove the radii.
Original post by dominicwild
I initially thought this too. But I looked at the units, which were
Unparseable latex formula:

m^2s^-^2

So I calculated the mean. Then I just squared it all.

Oh ok i have no clue if im right, i just remember when you derive the pressure of a gas (u1^2 + u2^2...) / Number of particles = mean squared value
Original post by HenryHein
I think it said largest distance, so you add 1AU not take away (3.57AU in total?)

did what i di !!!! many say taking away is right but surley if the earth is behind the sun and venus or whatever the distnce is add 1 ?
Original post by Sbarron
Now I'm far from the best student so DON'T go by these values but I just want to see if anyone got any the same as me.....

Nuclear and thermal:
0.05, 5.00
1.4*10-15 m
5.3*10-15 m
1.3*10^17 kgm-3
3.3*10-6 s-1
8.2*10^11
47000J
319 K

Astro:
2.4*10^11
15m
5000 K
97*10^6
8.8*10^21
4.9*10^17

I agree pretty much with all the Thermal and Nuclear ones! I did turning points section 2 though :3
Anyone get 24 volts in thermal and 250 muons in option d??

Also one question said shouw its 4 to something i got like 4.12... To the something
Original post by Lizzieee4
It was related to Charles' law or the pressure law I think

I was thinking something along those lines. I just couldn't think how you'd do it experimentally. I just stated that you'd keep pressure constant and slowly squished some area (with a piston) with a constant amount of gas. Measuring temperature in K as you do it. It should regress close to 0 or -273 in C. Which defines absolute zero as its the lowest temperature you can get to?

I didn't write much at all, just attempted to cover all bullet points.
Reply 2736
Original post by dominicwild
I initially thought this too. But I looked at the units, which were
Unparseable latex formula:

m^2s^-^2

So I calculated the mean. Then I just squared it all.

Nooo.. you calculate the mean of the square values, not the mean of the values and then square it all.
Yep you add the distances because maximum distance is when earth is on opposite side of the vestra(?) asteroid.
Something like 3.57AU

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2738
Original post by Sbarron
Now I'm far from the best student so DON'T go by these values but I just want to see if anyone got any the same as me.....

Nuclear and thermal:
0.05, 5.00
1.4*10-15 m
5.3*10-15 m
1.3*10^17 kgm-3
3.3*10-6 s-1
8.2*10^11
47000J
319 K

Astro:
2.4*10^11
15m
5000 K
97*10^6
8.8*10^21
4.9*10^17

If that's the Schwarzschild Radius question (emboldened), you forgot to square the speed of light on the denominator.
DId anyone else do Pythagoras in question 1 of Astro?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending