The Student Room Group

I Want to Drop University, and re-do my A Levels

I am 20.. I got CCD for my A levels, I want to drop out of my university (only completed 1 year, currently on a gap year).

I want to take A Levels again in 2018 when I am 23, I don't feel like I can go back to university, I have anxiety issues and depression.

I want to take 2 new A Levels which is Maths, Further Maths and Re-do Economics again (for an Bsc Economics Degree). I want to get at least 3 As

6 Units for Maths

6 Units for Further Maths

4 Units for Economics

16 Units in total

costing around £1000

Is this worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Depends if you're wanting to resit to pursue a different degree, if you're just looking to re-sit then go straight to work it isn't worth it.
Original post by justsmile642
I am 20.. I got CCD for my A levels, I want to drop out of my university (only completed 1 year, currently on a gap year).

I want to take A Levels again in 2018 when I am 23, I don't feel like I can go back to university, I have anxiety issues and depression.

I want to take 2 new A Levels which is Maths, Further Maths and Re-do Economics again (for an Bsc Economics Degree). I want to get at least 3 As

6 Units for Maths

4 Units for Economics

16 Units in total

costing around £1000

Is this worth it?

WOW, I have been in exactly the same situation!

I dropped out of my University after my second year...I performed disgracefully as a result of my ongoing depression and anxiety (hyperhidrosis etc.).Previously I didn't do A-levels, I did a BTEC because I didn't meet the entry requirements. At University I found out that one could do sit A-levels as a private student and as a result I sat Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Government&Politics within a year.

I will be studying Government and Economics at the LSE this October.

It paid off for me; what did you study at University? It is probably not worth to redo the same A-level, I would choose another one.

6 Units for Maths

4 Units for Economics

16 Units in total

costing around £1000

Is this worth it?

So you want to leave university because of mental health reasons but then you want to go back? Are you sure you could cope?
This is pretty much what I did, except I was at uni for a month and I'm doing the same A levels. I got CCD and I'm currently retaking modules, now going to get BBC as the absolute minimum so far. It's certainly worth it in my opinion, you should never settle for less or something you don't really want.
Original post by EquityResearch

I dropped out of my University after my second year...I performed disgracefully as a result of my ongoing depression and anxiety (hyperhidrosis etc.).Previously I didn't do A-levels, I did a BTEC because I didn't meet the entry requirements. At University I found out that one could do sit A-levels as a private student and as a result I sat Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Government&Politics within a year.

It paid off for me; what did you study at University? It is probably not worth to redo the same A-level, I would choose another one.

Oh wow lool, such a similar situation, Man congratulations on being accepted by LSE. I think you are right about not re-doing the same A-Level, however I think Government & Politics will be hard to self teach, as it does not have as much text books and on-line resources as Economics A Level.

Economics BA I am currently studying, However I failed 1st year, due to my problems, and I want to restart again and go to perhaps a new university, fresh degree, with a strong background of Maths and actually do well on my entire 3 years in University

How did it go self teaching Politics & Further Maths?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoshDawg
So you want to leave university because of mental health reasons but then you want to go back? Are you sure you could cope?

Man, I ask myself this question as well, but at the end of the day I have to fight through my problem because I don't want to end up not having a degree, I am trying to learn how to fight this anxiety and depression and better myself. I will give university another shot, but not at this moment
Original post by aliendays
This is pretty much what I did, except I was at uni for a month and I'm doing the same A levels. I got CCD and I'm currently retaking modules, now going to get BBC as the absolute minimum so far. It's certainly worth it in my opinion, you should never settle for less or something you don't really want.

True,I respect that, thank you
Man, I ask myself this question as well, but at the end of the day I have to fight through my problem because I don't want to end up not having a degree, I am trying to learn how to fight this anxiety and depression and better myself. I will give university another shot, but not at this moment

So are you doing a degree that isn't economics, but want to go back to do economics?

Do you think I could take Maths,Further Maths & Politics and complete it in 1 year whilst self studying?
Oh wow lool, such a similar situation, Man congratulations on being accepted by LSE. I think you are right about not re-doing the same A-Level, however I think Government & Politics will be hard to self teach, as it does not have as much text books and on-line resources as Economics A Level.

Economics BA I am currently studying, However I failed 1st year, due to my problems, and I want to restart again and go to perhaps a new university, fresh degree, with a strong background of Maths and actually do well on my entire 3 years in University

How did it go self teaching Politics & Further Maths?

For Mathematics and Further Mathematics (Edexcel) I bought all the essential books and and made use of online resources such as...

http://www.mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html
http://www.examsolutions.net/

...and some YouTube videos.

I already had an authentic interest and knowledge in Government and Politics which made things easier.I was working approximately 65 hours a week for 13 months for the three A-levels and sat them all in the same summer.

Consistency is the key.

What University are you planning on attending and how is your depression/anxiety at this moment in time? Is it getting better?
Original post by JoshDawg
So are you doing a degree that isn't economics, but want to go back to do economics?

I am doing Economics BA , however I failed 1st Year due to anxiety.

I want to go to a new university, do Economics again. and have a fresh start and complete the degree successfully without any failed years. I want to have a strong Maths Background (A level Maths) so It can help me complete the Degree because it will be Bsc Economics, that i will be looking to go Into, which is Maths Based
Do you think I could take Maths,Further Maths & Politics and complete it in 1 year whilst self studying?

It depends on the individual. Mathematics and Politics can be done; but Further Mathematics can be a struggle. If your condition hasn't improved maybe you should take things easier.
In my opinion it's worth it
For Mathematics and Further Mathematics (Edexcel) I bought all the essential books and and made use of online resources such as...

http://www.mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html
http://www.examsolutions.net/

...and some YouTube videos.

I already had an authentic interest and knowledge in Government and Politics which made things easier.I was working approximately 65 hours a week for 13 months for the three A-levels and sat them all in the same summer.

Consistency is the key.

What University are you planning on attending and how is your depression/anxiety at this moment in time? Is it getting better?

All in 1 summer? that is like 16 exams ... wow

My Unis that i want to go to are Manchester University, Birmingham, any of the top 30 University that is good for economics. i want at least 3 As

My anxiety/depression is in 1-10 around 6, due to the fact that, I am confused about what to do, If i can focus on a legit plan and decide that I want to Re-take my A Levels and i then Focus each day and revise. making my anxiety level reduce to a 3

Yes i am aware of the online resources for Maths , and i have all the Edexcel Text Books for A Level Maths and books for Further Maths

I am planning to do
A Level Maths C1-4, S1, M1
Further Maths F1-3. S2.M2,D1

(what units did you do?)

I do not know my 3rd Option, because Politics might be hard for me to self study.
All in 1 summer? that is like 16 exams ... wow

My Unis that i want to go to are Manchester University, Birmingham, any of the top 30 University that is good for economics. i want at least 3 As

My anxiety/depression is in 1-10 around 6, due to the fact that, I am confused about what to do, If i can focus on a legit plan and decide that I want to Re-take my A Levels and i then Focus each day and revise. making my anxiety level reduce to a 3

Yes i am aware of the online resources for Maths , and i have all the Edexcel Text Books for A Level Maths and books for Further Maths

I am planning to do
A Level Maths C1-4, S1, M1
Further Maths F1-3. S2.M2,D1

(what units did you do?)

I do not know my 3rd Option, because Politics might be hard for me to self study.

C1-C4, FP1-FP3, S1-S4, M1
Take your time!
It depends on the individual. Mathematics and Politics can be done; but Further Mathematics can be a struggle. If your condition hasn't improved maybe you should take things easier.

mhmm the 1 problem I have is that there is a NEW SPEC for 2017 for maths.. it will be changing, however I think the topics will be the same, I really don't know. what is your opinion on this?
mhmm the 1 problem I have is that there is a NEW SPEC for 2017 for maths.. it will be changing, however I think the topics will be the same, I really don't know. what is your opinion on this?

I really can't help you regarding this. Do you think you could start off with Mathematics in 2016 and take it over two years?
I really can't help you regarding this. Do you think you could start off with Mathematics in 2016 and take it over two years?

Is it possible to spread the units over 2 years? with all this new changes about AS being abolished etc

If i spread them out in different years so for example?

Year 2016
Maths 6 Units , Economics 2 Units
or
Maths 3 Units
Further Maths 3 Units

Year 2017
Further Maths 6 units, Economics 2 Units
or
Maths 3 Units
Further Maths 3 Units

I contacted the board and I believe they said I Will not be able to take the old specification on 2017
C1-C4, FP1-FP3, S1-S4, M1
Take your time!

Do you know what I will do.... I will revise the Old Specification till 2017, then look at the new Specification when it comes out on Sept 2017.

And then revise the new spec. then take the entire exam SUMMER 2018

Quick Reply

Latest