The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for a laptop through DSA

Last Year when I applied to university I applied to DSA and had my assessment and I said I was going to use my macbook pro 2012 at university however I never ended up going to university.

I applied this year again but this time I didn't need a reassessment and my application was approved but based on last years assessment which assumes I'll be taking the macbook to university as thats what it says on the letter they sent me.

However, due to my home computer not working anymore its not possible for me to take the laptop to university as my brother will need it for his A level's.

So my only options would be to use student loan to buy a new one which is going to be way too expensive or to see if I'm eligibility for a laptop through DSA.
Reply 1
I don't know how you go about it but if you do get a laptop from dsa you will still have to pay the £200 towards the price.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audiology-Med
Last Year when I applied to university I applied to DSA and had my assessment and I said I was going to use my macbook pro 2012 at university however I never ended up going to university.

I applied this year again but this time I didn't need a reassessment and my application was approved but based on last years assessment which assumes I'll be taking the macbook to university as thats what it says on the letter they sent me.

However, due to my home computer not working anymore its not possible for me to take the laptop to university as my brother will need it for his A level's.

So my only options would be to use student loan to buy a new one which is going to be way too expensive or to see if I'm eligibility for a laptop through DSA.

It goes off needs based on the effect your disability has, say for instance you need a laptop as you couldn't cope with writing in lectures or things like that. Which disability do you have, if you dont mind me asking? I d phone up your needs assessor and see if they ll do you a reassessment
Reply 3
Original post by gogirls
I don't know how you go about it but if you do get a laptop from dsa you will still have to pay the £200 towards the price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that might depend on the assessment centre you use. I didn't have to pay anything.
Reply 4
Original post by Audiology-Med

My assessor told me that shared computers don't count, so they should have approved a new one last year anyway. I'd get in touch with your assessor.
Original post by tsr1994
I think that might depend on the assessment centre you use. I didn't have to pay anything.

The rules have changed.

Having a disability in itself won't entitle you to a laptop through DSA.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
The rules have changed.

Having a disability in itself won't entitle you to a laptop through DSA.

Well I got my laptop literally just a couple of weeks ago
Reply 7
As a DSA assessor I've dealt with a similar scenario before. The answer is no, SFE wouldn't agree to provide you with replacement machine as they don't take changed family circumstances such as this into consideration.

The recommendation was for you to use the laptop you said you had, and that continued for the next years study. The view they take is that DSA is funding for an individual not support another family members needs.

DSA rules change based on academic years so a new 15/16 applicant will not be assessed like a 14/15 applicant would be. I'd guess the OP first applied for DSA in 13/14 so they are the academic year DSA rules he/she will continue to be supported under.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest