The Student Room Group

How To Calculate BTEC Level 3 Grades.

What You Need To Know Before You Calculate Your Grade

You will need to know: how many units you are taking, the credits for each unit and which level they are.

This will be specific to you as your course director will have a list of units to choose from for your BTEC, some units may be 5 or 20 credits and some maybe level 2. For a level 3 BTEC you will have mostly level 3 units at 10 credits.

After you have this you can either work it out yourself using the guide below or you can use BTEC calculator websites.

http://www.speedking.eu/grade-calculator/

http://victorescalona.co.uk/portfolio/developer/BTECGradeCalculator/

How To Calculate Your Grade

The calculation for each unit is Credits X Grade Points.

Your Grade Points will be determined by the level of your unit.

The Grade Points are:

For Example:

This is just an example and you would use the total units and credits that you have. You would then take the total and look at the grade boundaries for the BTEC you are taking, Certificate, Subsidiary etc.

Detailed example of a 180 credit Level 3 Extended Diploma

Spoiler

To make it a bit easier I will list the points associated with each level, credits and grade.

Level 2:

5 credit unit: Pass 25, Merit 30 and Distinction 35
10 credit unit: Pass 50, Merit 60 and Distinction 70

Level 3:

5 credit unit: Pass 35, Merit 40 and Distinction 45
10 credit unit: Pass 70, Merit 80 and Distinction 90
20 credit unit: Pass 140, Merit 160 and Distinction 180

Grade Boundaries

BTEC Level 3 Certificate

BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma

BTEC Level 3 Diploma

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mr.bob
Heres a quick link to a btce grade calculator

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/People/Join-the-team.html

*Here's

Here's a link to a GCSE English cource.

http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/Courses/List/1117-GCSE-English
Reply 2
Original post by IamLiquid
*Here's

Here's a link to a GCSE English cource.

http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/Courses/List/1117-GCSE-English

*course

I think you require it more than me

Congratulations, now you look like a buffoon
Reply 3
Original post by Mr.bob
*course

I think you require it more than me

Congratulations, now you look like a buffoon

Judging by the grammar of your other posts, you require it more.
Reply 4
Judging by the grammar of your other posts, you require it more.

Judging by your other posts.... wait I'm not a sad case who trawls through other's posts.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.bob
Judging by your other posts.... wait I'm not a sad case who trawls through other's posts.

But you are sad enough to post **** on a BTEC thread when, I'm guessing, you don't even do a BTEC.
Reply 6
But you are sad enough to post **** on a BTEC thread when, I'm guessing, you don't even do a BTEC.

Why wouldnt i when people like you provide hilarious reactions such as pointing out petty grammar errors.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr.bob
Why wouldnt i when people like you provide hilarious reactions such as pointing out petty grammar errors.

The very fact that your source of enjoyment is having people point out your grammatical mistakes just goes to show how sad you really are.
Reply 8
The very fact that your source of enjoyment is having people point out your grammatical mistakes just goes to show how sad you really are.

Its not the identification of grammar mistakes - it's people like you making a donkey out of yourselves. I would say there is worse methods of getting your kicks.
Original post by Mr.bob

You've got nothing valuable to add to this thread, so why're you here? Get a little bored given that the AS/A2 exam period is nearly over?
Reply 10
Original post by Mr.bob

Statistically you are more likely to end up in an unskilled job if you take A levels and then leave education, a higher % of BTEC leavers are in skilled, managerial or professional jobs compared to those who take A levels (49% vs 44%) also of those who went to university and after graduating the employability is still higher for those who took BTEC (80% vs 73%),

First paragraph from the report:

'New research published today indicates that university graduates who only studied vocational qualifications at sixth form or college were more likely to be in employment than their peers who had studied purely academic qualifications such as A levels.'

Makes your attempt of a joke sort of redundant doesn't it?

Sources:

- http://uk.pearson.com/home/news/2013/may/graduates-are-more-likely-to-be-employed--and-as-likely-to-succe.html

- https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/degrees-of-success-for-btec-and-a-level-students/2003776.article
Ok here a thing... BTEC are worth NOTHING like GCSE/A-Level no matter what anyone says your tests are modular just go with P, M and D.
Reply 13
Original post by ckfeister
Ok here a thing... BTEC are worth NOTHING like GCSE/A-Level no matter what anyone says your tests are modular just go with P, M and D.

95% of UK universities and most employers would disagree with you

I got into uni to study compsci with my computing BTEC and the content is ver similar and i have done better than a lot of people who took A levels in maths and a few others, how can that be worth 'nothing' ?

There is so much unwarrented stigma attached to BTEC, even though it is a proven qualification in both HE and industry, and also comparing them to A levels does nothing for your argument as they both vover the same content if you study in the same area e.g. IT/Computing BTEC vs A level Computing or A level ICT, both teach the same content
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
95% of UK universities and most employers would disagree with you

I got into uni to study compsci with my computing BTEC and the content is ver similar and i have done better than a lot of people who took A levels in maths and a few others, how can that be worth 'nothing' ?

1) Why did you do BTEC Computer science rather then A-Level Computer Science.
2) P, M and D there for a reason if you go and take an A-Level Computer Science person and BTEC Computer Science person lets say... Oxford where BTEC Computer Science is accepted at D*D*D
3) What university.
Reply 15
1) Why did you do BTEC Computer science rather then A-Level Computer Science.
2) P, M and D there for a reason if you go and take an A-Level Computer Science person and BTEC Computer Science person lets say... Oxford where BTEC Computer Science is accepted at D*D*D
3) What university.

1) it covered more content and was more related to industry (in particular Software engineering)which is what i want to go into and isnt taught in A level, also i didnt want to take 2 other A levels that wouldnt really benefit me for HE or employment

2) im not sure what you mean, P = E, M= C, D= A and D*= A*, those grade equivalences are accurate, i have taken A level Computing and they were easy after completing the similar BTEC work

3) Royal Holloway, University of London enrolled on BSc (soon to be MSci) Computer Science
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
1) it covered more content and was more related to industry (in particular Software engineering)which is what i want to go into and isnt taught in A level, also i didnt want to take 2 other A levels that wouldnt really benefit me for HE or employment

2) im not sure what you mean, P = E, M= C, D= A and D*= A*, those grade equivalences are accurate, i have taken A level Computing and they were easy after completing the similar BTEC work

3) Royal Holloway, University of London enrolled on BSc (soon to be MSci) Computer Science

1. You are doing BTEC because 3 A-Levels would be too much for you basically.
2. The reason why BTEC is more content is because 1. it's modular and 2. almost all coursework
1. You are doing BTEC because 3 A-Levels would be too much for you basically.
2. The reason why BTEC is more content is because 1. it's modular and 2. almost all coursework

I teach BTEC. Have you seen the amount of work and the level of content they have to know to complete each assignment? We still have our D* BTEC students still coming in to college to finish things because they have to do so much and it needs to be absolutely perfect to get the grades. They have a better understanding of computing than my A level students and I could ask them to do much more advanced things with a lot less support. A level is just teaching to exam.

They are academically on the same level and they are both valued at uni and the workplace. They both put in the same amount of work, just in slightly different ways but I definitely know who I would rather be designing and maintaining my systems. Both sets of students are off to excellent universities and they've worked hard to get there.

So stop whinging about a qualification you know little about. Until you've seen first hand the challenge of both, you are not in a position to put either of those qualifications down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This "B-Tec vs A-Level" argument is pathetic.

I have done both and I must say, B-TEC has taught me valuable skills that are useful for the career I am pursing, and everyday scenarios. It also enabled my knowledge and understanding about the topics in depth, which will greatly benefit me once I start my degree.

Besides learning about your chosen subject, BTEC also teaches students how to be punctual with handing in assignments before deadlines, how to pick out key information, referencing sources so you don't plagiarise, how to prepare yourself for employment etc.

You're also given the opportunity to go on work experience that strongly relates to the course, in order to gain first-hand experience and a "taste" of what it's like to be in that specific working environment. This is something that you can add into your CV and/or university application. Depending on the career/course you want to do.

A-levels is quite restrictive compared to BTEC as you're only taught about things to a certain extent, and pretty much learning how to pass the exams. People are more likely to forget what they have learnt after completing their exams anyway. However, the things you have learnt in A-Levels could be useful in your degree as well and teaches you how to handle exams, and techniques.

I'd say both are great in their own way.

It's just sad how people think it's acceptable to put others down for doing BTEC. It's none of your damn business if the person is doing BTEC over A-Levels.

You're still going to study the same degree whether you did BTEC or A-Levels.

Stop being ignorant. If you don't like BTEC threads, then don't comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
This "B-Tec vs A-Level" argument is pathetic.

I have done both and I must say, B-TEC has taught me valuable skills that are useful for the career I am pursing, and everyday scenarios. It also enabled my knowledge and understanding about the topics in depth, which will greatly benefit me once I start my degree.

Besides learning about your chosen subject, BTEC also teaches students how to be punctual with handing in assignments before deadlines, how to pick out key information, referencing sources so you don't plagiarise, how to prepare yourself for employment etc.

You're also given the opportunity to go on work experience that strongly relates to the course, in order to gain first-hand experience and a "taste" of what it's like to be in that specific working environment. This is something that you can add into your CV and/or university application. Depending on the career/course you want to do.

A-levels is quite restrictive compared to BTEC as you're only taught about things to a certain extent, and pretty much learning how to pass the exams. People are more likely to forget what they have learnt after completing their exams anyway. However, the things you have learnt in A-Levels could be useful in your degree as well and teaches you how to handle exams, and techniques.

I'd say both are great in their own way.

It's just sad how people think it's acceptable to put others down for doing BTEC. It's none of your damn business if the person is doing BTEC over A-Levels.

You're still going to study the same degree whether you did BTEC or A-Levels.

Stop being ignorant. If you don't like BTEC threads, then don't comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The career I am pursuing*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending