The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
I thought this paper was alright. Good mix of standard format questions and some nice maths ones.
I think I've still done badly because I'm an idiot and messed up basic things.
So definitely can say goodbye to my A* now.
Hope you all did good :-)

Don't know why. But I hate when people 'cry' about not getting an A* lol
An A is amazing :s there is probably 40% that will get a C or a B :>
someone go over the horizontal disp question for me?
Original post by chukster97
i got 1340bq, how many marks would i lose?

maybe a couple, did you not think that was an unusually radioactive banana?
Original post by G481 Ostrich
You see I would say I got 100/100 but I think that would be a bit of "ostrich" of the imagination

What don't you get!!! ostri and physics DONT MIX!!!!
Original post by actanide
Question 11? was that the Hubbles law thing? I swear that was question 10

There were 11 with one on back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chukster97
someone go over the horizontal disp question for me?

It gave you the distance, 1.8 m and the terminal velocity (call it v, I can't remember its value) therefore time = d/s = 1.8/v.

You calculated the force in the previous question, and since a = F/m and you're given the mass you can calculate the acceleration.

Then use SUVAT from AS to find s (horizontal displacement):

s=ut+1/2at^2

(I think)
Original post by matthew6665

This is totally subjective. If somebody thinks they have underperformed by getting an A rather than an A* whats the problem?
Original post by Hummi_C
maybe a couple, did you not think that was an unusually radioactive banana?

Hahahaha!

Because they need them for their offers...
Damn it, I felt good just after the exam then I come here to find out I lost a lot of stupid marks...I need a high A in this for an A in physics but i doubt ill even get an A in this paper

What do people reckon about 135-140ums is in marks for this paper.
(edited 8 years ago)
What did people say for advantages of beta over gamma? I said beta is more short-ranged so it's more damaging to the patient, and a smaller proportion of the radiation leaves the body and is detected.
Original post by Elcor
What did people say for advantages of beta over gamma? I said beta is more short-ranged so it's more damaging to the patient, and a smaller proportion of the radiation leaves the body and is detected.

That's what I got, think (hope) it's right :smile:
Original post by Elcor

I said gamma doesnt cause as much ionisation as beta would and that it's more penetrative so it can travel through the body better,
Original post by Elcor

Gamma is less ionising because it' smaller and won't hit anything.
Gamma is better because it will penetrate stuff like hip replacements, unlike beta.

Also, for the energy released by the decay question, I kinda blanked and just said that the weak nuclear force does work, giving the electron kinetic energy, so energy has been released, thoughts?
Original post by leroythelost
Damn it, I felt good just after the exam then I come here to find out I lost a lot of stupid marks...I need a high A in this for an A in physics but i doubt ill even get an A in this paper

What do people reckon about 135-140ums is in marks for this paper.

88 ish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hummi_C
It gave you the distance, 1.8 m and the terminal velocity (call it v, I can't remember its value) therefore time = d/s = 1.8/v.

You calculated the force in the previous question, and since a = F/m and you're given the mass you can calculate the acceleration.

Then use SUVAT from AS to find s (horizontal displacement):

s=ut+1/2at^2

(I think)

I was going to do that but then I thought it wouldn't be travelling at terminal velocity straight away? Or did the question say it started at terminal velocity. Either way I ended up with 0.5cm whereas everyone else got 5cm

I love how you said that just after I finished working out I got about 78 in this paper..Thank anyway.
Original post by AlexParmenter
I was going to do that but then I thought it wouldn't be travelling at terminal velocity straight away? Or did the question say it started at terminal velocity. Either way I ended up with 0.5cm whereas everyone else got 5cm

I'm not sure tbh, I kinda ran out of time since I was working backwards :')
What did everyone get for the Age of universe ? (just curious) : )

My universe is 1.4E10 years older and 1.4E10 years wiser...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should be around 74 for an A and 80ish for an A*? Wasn't much written crap that gives people easy marks tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending