The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saad97
I think I may have put electromagnetic repulsion instead of force because I was thinking of the alpha particles being repelled by the nucleus so I wrote repulsion by accident instead of force -.- would that still be valid for a mark? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I too put Repulsion due to positive charge :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physics01
Guys did your paper for section b have R on the end of the code

Oooh i actually forgot to check. Did yours?
Original post by Jed-Singh
I did (Q=MCT)-(Q=ml) will I lose all 3 marks?

If you did it to 2 s.f. you will get 1 mark.
I think it was 0.15 m

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Salt and Peppa
If you did it to 2 s.f. you will get 1 mark.

I calculated them both separately, then did MCT-ML to 3sf
Original post by Disney0702
Oooh i actually forgot to check. Did yours?

Yes everyones paper had R on the code. Confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueNNch
I'm sure it said "Describe an experiment..." :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right it did.
What was the answer in the section A nuclear and thermal, what happens to the rutherford scattering using different isotopes? I said it changes because if you used a hypothetical extreme with loads of neutrons, the nucleus would be much bigger and therefore more of the alpha particles path's would be affected by it
Original post by RThornton
What was the answer in the section A nuclear and thermal, what happens to the rutherford scattering using different isotopes? I said it changes because if you used a hypothetical extreme with loads of neutrons, the nucleus would be much bigger and therefore more of the alpha particles path's would be affected by it

no change as only affected by protons and isotopes have same number of protons I put

Put why would you use a hypothetical model... The answer was simply no change as the overall charge on the nucleus remains the same,

You over complicated the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not affect
Isotopes have same number of protons but different number of neutrons
Protons would only affect the path (Can state an equation to further reinforce, I did because I didn't really know how to explain it e.g. R = Q1Q2/4piE0Ek)
Alpha particles never touch nucleus, so only affected by protons of nucleus.
(edited 8 years ago)

The nucleus won't be much bigger, adding/removing one or two neutrons will have negligible effect on the spherical volume of the nucleus. It had no effect as the charge of the gold remained the same
Original post by TheRAG
4.4x1011m

Did you calculate it by taking 1 AU from 2.57AU (whatever the furthest distance was)

or did you calculate it using a triangle with base 1 AU and legnth 2.57AU and take
hypotenuse?
Original post by Disney0702
You're right it did.

Yeah but it said you didn't need to include any apparatus details so it was basically just describing the measurements/calculations involved in the experiment
Original post by Bowenabc
Did you calculate it by taking 1 AU from 2.57AU (whatever the furthest distance was)

or did you calculate it using a triangle with base 1 AU and legnth 2.57AU and take
hypotenuse?

You had to add 1 AU to 2.57AU and convert to metres
Original post by chizz1889
Yeah but it said you didn't need to include any apparatus details so it was basically just describing the measurements/calculations involved in the experiment

So you could literally just say, measure pressure at different temperatures at constant volume, where line crosses x axis blah, when T = 0 pressure is 0 as ke = 0 so v = 0, so no particles collide with wall.
Original post by chizz1889
You had to add 1 AU to 2.57AU and convert to metres

But how would you be able to see Vegas if it was on the otherside of the sun?
And what was your subsequent answers for the angle subtended by Vegas, and what did you write for discuss level of details the telescope can see?

Do you also remember how many marks these questions were worth?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3137
Anyone posting an unofficial mark scheme? I would but I don't remember my answers...
Original post by CD223
Anyone posting an unofficial mark scheme? I would but I don't remember my answers...

How'd you find it mate? I thought astro was good apart from the 6 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
would it fair to say 50 max for an A ? (astro as it had some confusing ques, e.g. first ques many took away, 6 marker wave calculcation, etc. )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending