The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bowenabc
But how would you be able to see Vegas if it was on the otherside of the sun?
And what was your subsequent answers for the angle subtended by Vegas, and what did you write for discuss level of details the telescope can see?

Do you also remember how many marks these questions were worth?

It wasnt a binary star otherwise minus 1 would have been correct, it just asked for the distance it didnt mention it could be seen
Reply 3141
Original post by SuperMushroom
How'd you find it mate? I thought astro was good apart from the 6 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm, it was an odd paper on the whole. Made some stupid mistakes. Thought the star was a main sequence as its power output was similar to the sun.
Original post by lad123
So you could literally just say, measure pressure at different temperatures at constant volume, where line crosses x axis blah, when T = 0 pressure is 0 as ke = 0 so v = 0, so no particles collide with wall.

Yeah but in more detail eg:
Pressure is directly proportional to temperature, measure the pressure for different temperatures and plot a graph of pressure against temperature. Plot a line of best fit and extrapolate backwards until it intercepts the x axis. This temperature is absolute zero. This is supported by the fact that for a fixed volume, P=kT where k is a constant, so when P = 0, T=0. This is because at this temperature the molecules have no kinetic energy so they don't vibrate and hence don't exert a pressure on the container. 😊 that's a six mark answer
Original post by MangoFreak
Maybe I'm wrong: I do that :tongue:

I hope your wrong lol
Any polls for this?
Is ' obeys newtonian mechanics' correct for the ideal gas :[
Original post by DomRauba
Is ' obeys newtonian mechanics' correct for the ideal gas :[

Should be
Original post by CD223
Erm, it was an odd paper on the whole. Made some stupid mistakes. Thought the star was a main sequence as its power output was similar to the sun.

I made that same mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Disney0702
Oooh i actually forgot to check. Did yours?

Our exams officer made a huge fuss over it!!
Astro : I got 3.0 m for the Diameter
16,000 K for Black body temperature
9.5 * 10 ^ 6 for Radius of the white dwarf
4.9 * 10 ^ 17 for the Seconds
-9.7 * 10 ^ -3 for Absolute Mag
4 days for period , 1.1* 10 ^ 5 for speed

Thermal : Density : 1.4 * 10 ^ 17
RMS : 2.1 * 10 ^ (SOMETHING)
Temperature : 320 Kelvins
Energy : 4.7 *10 ^ 4 J ( I think )

If anyone needs these :smile:
Original post by RemainSilent
It wasnt a binary star otherwise minus 1 would have been correct, it just asked for the distance it didnt mention it could be seen

Aw ****, I got mixed up with the second quesiton. Thought it was what is max distance it could be observed at.

Was the sub question after the angle subtended when Vegas is at min distance or max distance?
(edited 8 years ago)

Got all the same for astro. :smile:

Can't really remember thermal
Original post by EconFan_73
Got all the same for astro. :smile:

Can't really remember thermal

good to hear bro
why is everyone so happy i swear it wasn't THAT easy?!

no clue for the 6 marker, though i could do the astro one
thought it was a main sequence star
got a different value for the magnitude
lost like 4 marks somwehere else

so thats like 16 marks lost...that i know of...

could still be an a?
Reply 3154

I think my answers all agree
Original post by 0beany0
why is everyone so happy i swear it wasn't THAT easy?!

no clue for the 6 marker, though i could do the astro one
thought it was a main sequence star
got a different value for the magnitude
lost like 4 marks somwehere else

so thats like 16 marks lost...that i know of...

could still be an a?

People are over exaggerating, don't listen to them, expect around 58-62 for an A *
For the first tick box I put alpha, I was a bit unsure since it said X-ray as well, but out of alpha beta and gamma alpha is the most ionising.
The the fill in the table I put 0.05 m for alpha and 2.0 m for beta.
The the reason why the gamma count decreased I put about the inverse square law. Then for what affects alpha as on the human body, I put that the greatest hazard is, if it gets into your body as it can cause breaks in your DNA causing mutations. For the reason about alpha scattering I put that it says the same as they are just isotopes same number of protons but a different number of neutrons, and only the number of protons matters. Then for chain reaction said a neutron collides with a uranium nucleus releasing further neutrons which can cause another fission event. Then said the moderator slows down the neutrons released till they reach fissile speeds and can cause further fission reaction, and the moderator absorbs the neutrons KE, then said the casing of the reactor absorbs neutrons which cause the nuclei to become unstable and then emit beta- . and for the motion of the particles for the equation PV=1/3 Nm(Crms)^2 I put that they have random motion and do not collide with any of the other molecules in the container the mean square speeds squared them all added them together and divided by 3. Then for astro I did 2.57-1 and times by 1.50x10^11. then for the bit below did Tan(angle)=(diameter/distance) The tick box asking if it was a main sequence star, dwarf or a red giant I put a dwarf as it seemed quite small, and for the definition of black hole I said the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light.

Wasn't the abs magnitude 1.98(1) - M = 5log(25/10)
Well **** that 1 I added changes it significantly, do you think they'll accept it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3158
Original post by mrno1324
Wasn't the abs magnitude

1.98(1) - M = 5log(25/10)

Oh yeah. I did 1.982. Does it matter?
Original post by Highlands
For the first tick box I put alpha, I was a bit unsure since it said X-ray as well, but out of alpha beta and gamma alpha is the most ionising.
The the fill in the table I put 0.05 m for alpha and 2.0 m for beta.
The the reason why the gamma count decreased I put about the inverse square law. Then for what affects alpha as on the human body, I put that the greatest hazard is, if it gets into your body as it can cause breaks in your DNA causing mutations. For the reason about alpha scattering I put that it says the same as they are just isotopes same number of protons but a different number of neutrons, and only the number of protons matters. Then for chain reaction said a neutron collides with a uranium nucleus releasing further neutrons which can cause another fission event. Then said the moderator slows down the neutrons released till they reach fissile speeds and can cause further fission reaction, and the moderator absorbs the neutrons KE, then said the casing of the reactor absorbs neutrons which cause the nuclei to become unstable and then emit beta- . and for the motion of the particles for the equation PV=1/3 Nm(Crms)^2 I put that they have random motion and do not collide with any of the other molecules in the container the mean square speeds squared them all added them together and divided by 3. Then for astro I did 2.57-1 and times by 1.50x10^11. then for the bit below did Tan(angle)=(diameter/distance) The tick box asking if it was a main sequence star, dwarf or a red giant I put a dwarf as it seemed quite small, and for the definition of black hole I said the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light.

You are looking at a good grade my friend, first astro is wrong , I made the same mistake, you add 1 AU as largest distance is when its on the other side of the sun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending