The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Oh yeah. I did 1.982. Does it matter?

It's how you read it of the graph, I assume there will be a range :smile:
Original post by mrno1324
Wasn't the abs magnitude 1.98(1) - M = 5log(25/10)
Well **** that 1 I added changes it significantly, do you think they'll accept it?

Should do , there will be a range :smile:
Original post by DomRauba
You are looking at a good grade my friend, first astro is wrong , I made the same mistake, you add 1 AU as largest distance is when its on the other side of the sun.

So is everyone now agreeing that it is 2.57 + 1 because it said the asteroid belt thing is in between Mars and Jupiter I think.. or does that not matter?
Reply 3163
It's how you read it of the graph, I assume there will be a range :smile:

2.27x10^17 for the number of nuclei question?
Original post by Highlands
So is everyone now agreeing that it is 2.57 + 1 because it said the asteroid belt thing is in between Mars and Jupiter I think.. or does that not matter?

hmm I have no idea, I done the same as you
Original post by CD223

I got 2.35x10^17; seems pretty close, did you use your own value or the one given as show the decay constant blah blah.
Original post by CD223

sounds familiar :smile:
F&//cking hell, did no one else do Pythagoras for first question? We're not told that the asteroid and the Earth are at opposite sides of the Sun at any one point.
hmm I have no idea, I done the same as you

Okay
Reply 3169
Original post by Doomlar
I got 2.35x10^17; seems pretty close, did you use your own value or the one given as show the decay constant blah blah.

I think I used theirs.
Original post by Bowenabc
Did you calculate it by taking 1 AU from 2.57AU (whatever the furthest distance was)

or did you calculate it using a triangle with base 1 AU and legnth 2.57AU and take
hypotenuse?

The second option
Original post by chizz1889
Yeah but in more detail eg:
Pressure is directly proportional to temperature, measure the pressure for different temperatures and plot a graph of pressure against temperature. Plot a line of best fit and extrapolate backwards until it intercepts the x axis. This temperature is absolute zero. This is supported by the fact that for a fixed volume, P=kT where k is a constant, so when P = 0, T=0. This is because at this temperature the molecules have no kinetic energy so they don't vibrate and hence don't exert a pressure on the container. 😊 that's a six mark answer

I did so blah lol i wrote in more detail, i said exactly the same word for word, except i didn't include extrapolate aha
F&//cking hell, did no one else do Pythagoras for first question? We're not told that the asteroid and the Earth are at opposite sides of the Sun at any one point.

So what's your point?? Using Pythagoras would assume the same thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lad123
I did so blah lol i wrote in more detail, i said exactly the same word for word, except i didn't include extrapolate aha

Yeah you should get 6 then 😝
Original post by CD223
I think I used theirs.

As did I, so we must have just read the graph differently :tongue:
Just remember that the majority of people on 'thestudentroom' are quite academic so our views on the paper won't be representative of the population! That being said, it was an easy paper (not the easiest) and so will likely be around 60/61 for an A*
Does anyone remember any answers for applied physics?
Original post by SuperMushroom
So what's your point?? Using Pythagoras would assume the same thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I just figured right angles are often assumed in astro. Like the moon crater questions when you assume the angle subtended is part of a right angle triangle.
Original post by QueNNch
Yes everyones paper had R on the code. Confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am pretty sure ours did not!

No but you were told it was located in the asteroid belt therefore at somepoint the earth will be directly the opposite side of the sun as there's a different orbital period for each body hence the biggest distance is when they are at either side of the sun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending