The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

this was my last exam.
Reply 1741
Original post by Jamesowl
you had to divide it by 1/60 as charge was only being dissipated for half the amount of time.

Yes but the switch flipped back and forth 120 times so if the method is correct (I don't know) then you would still multiply by 120 I think because charge is dissipated through the resistor 120 times per second as it completes a full oscillation 120 times per second.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It would eventually fall to the ground, at first I wrote 'wobble' but then realised it would act with gravity making it fall

When it acts in opposite direction it would be in equilibrium

So eventually it'd get to surface of earth

Wait, I visualised it as an alternating p.d. in a high up power line which is obviously supported at both ends, and they just meant explain why the cable would sag as opposed to stay horizontal. Oh well, probably misinterpreted it.
Original post by Elcor
Wait, I visualised it as an alternating p.d. in a high up power line which is obviously supported at both ends, and they just meant explain why the cable would sag as opposed to stay horizontal. Oh well, probably misinterpreted it.

Oh yeah :rofl:

Maybe I should have left it as wobble

Idk why I thought of it a floating line with a random AC
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Need the A*s for Manchester Physics, think they'll probably let me in with one A* though.

That's my offer too! Are you confident in 2 of the A*s?
Need the A*s for Manchester Physics, think they'll probably let me in with one A* though.

They let me in on 3A's for mechanical engineering.
Original post by Lunox
Yes but the switch flipped back and forth 120 times so if the method is correct (I don't know) then you would still multiply by 120 I think because charge is dissipated through the resistor 120 times per second as it completes a full oscillation 120 times per second.

It told you that a full oscillation was just between A and B, I thought that at first but then I read the question again.
Found some parts pretty tricky. As someone who doesn't like ratios the sirius B and antares question was pretty hard... Definitely atleast 2 marks dropped in that question.

Overall I'm predicting about 74-75 for an A.

Any news on unofficial mark scheme?
Does anyone know if teachercoll is making an unofficial marlscheme?
It told you that a full oscillation was just between A and B, I thought that at first but then I read the question again.

What did you get as your answer?
Original post by Chung224
Does anyone know if teachercoll is making an unofficial marlscheme?

Original post by Damhuis95
Found some parts pretty tricky. As someone who doesn't like ratios the sirius B and antares question was pretty hard... Definitely atleast 2 marks dropped in that question.

Overall I'm predicting about 74-75 for an A.

Any news on unofficial mark scheme?

Didn't l evil fish say he was making it?
Original post by matthew6665
Don't know why. But I hate when people 'cry' about not getting an A* lol
An A is amazing :s there is probably 40% that will get a C or a B :>

I need an A* to get into my firm choice uni. That's why.
Original post by Elcor
What did you get as your answer?

1.8x10^-3 I think...
Reply 1753

Oh well, fair enough probably only 1 mark, that is a bit misleading.. You would assume back and forth would count as an oscillation! Then again my fault for not being able to read :smile:
Original post by The Room Student

In Physics I'd say so, not so much with Chemistry (F324 was a nightmare). And Maths I didn't see the damn last question on C3... hoping they'll let me in with one A* though.
Original post by matthew6665
Well I don't know which unis give such high offers.. 2 people I know are going Oxbridge and both have AAA offers :s So I guessed that ****ter unis will not have A* offers cause that's just mad.

My offer for physics from Manchester is A*A*A.

How come you think they will?
The only way I think I'll get in now is because my interview went well and I got an A in my EPQ, still not certain though :-( I hope they do I wanna go so bad

Original post by The Room Student

Hi 5s
I'm very hopeful I managed the A* in maths but not in physics :lol:
1.8x10^-3 I think...

Nice, same :redface:
Original post by rachelc142
How come you think they will? The only way I think I'll get in now is because my interview went well and I got an A in my EPQ, still not certain though :-( I hope they do I wanna go so bad

I remember on the tour before the interview someone said they'll probably let you off with one A*. They give offers to 80% of applicants which is quite high compared to other good Unis so it doesn't seem like they're that strict.
Reply 1758
Was the strong nuclear question attractive or repulsive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks could you potentially drop to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest