The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1761
Original post by Leechayy
How many marks could you potentially drop to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

30 marks
Original post by Elcor
Nice, same :redface:

Do you remember how you got there? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks could you potentially drop to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be safe 23!
Haven't seen A star in my life lol, and this paper again,,,,only can hope for a C atleast !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1765
Original post by kate8
Was the strong nuclear question attractive or repulsive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

attractive
Really, bad day having dental pain for about 4 days no appointments given! **** up my exams and future biology which I could have done better didn't help me ! Failed physics today :frown:" I hate it ! Life is unfair! So sad and bored, worried about my future:frown:" taking 12 antibiotics a day for physics exam and nothing came from ultrasound and MRI which was the only thing I revised on an emergency bed !:frown: 50 marks gone '

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmYourdog
To be safe 23!

I could scrape it then but I'm just worried about mistakes in longer writing questions and calculations.

Are they relatively generous for ecf marks and if it's a minor error, will you not lose all of the marks?

Sorry about the questioning:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gothmog827
Do you remember how you got there? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah

Power stored in capacitor each time is 0.5CV^2
This is discharged into the resistor equal to I^2R
It discharges over 1 time period (this assumption might be wrong)
Then use P=E/t and equate the top two lines and rearrange for I.

So I got an equation with I^2 being proportional to f, so my logic for the next bit was to say 'I is proportional to root f, so I would increase by a factor of root 2, not 2'.
Original post by kate8
Was the strong nuclear question attractive or repulsive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote both depending on the distance. (In more detail, ofcource)
I could scrape it then but I'm just worried about mistakes in longer writing questions and calculations.

Are they relatively generous for ecf marks and if it's a minor error, will you not lose all of the marks?

Sorry about the questioning:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure there were any questions in that exam that required you to use your answer from a previous part ( correct me if im wrong ) - eg if it asked you to calculate the wavelength in part ai) then in part aiii) it asked you to calculate the energy of the wavelegnth. You would get the ECF mark. - But I don't think there was any like this?

For the writting questions I don't think you would get any ECF marks in this paper.
If for instance in that rate of temp thing you x your energy by 0.001 right at the beginning you would ONLY get the method marks. You wouldn't get the Answer mark. - But I'm not an OCR examiner and nor do I know how lenient the mark scheme will be this year, but I do belive that has generally how marks have been awarded in the past.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Terry Tibbs
I remember on the tour before the interview someone said they'll probably let you off with one A*. They give offers to 80% of applicants which is quite high compared to other good Unis so it doesn't seem like they're that strict.

I remember them saying that too but I do still worry; I also remember them saying about 30% of their intake have 3 A*s!
I guess cos exams have been harder this year there will be more people in our position

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Yeah

Power stored in capacitor each time is 0.5CV^2
This is discharged into the resistor equal to I^2R
It discharges over 1 time period (this assumption might be wrong)
Then use P=E/t and equate the top two lines and rearrange for I.

So I got an equation with I^2 being proportional to f, so my logic for the next bit was to say 'I is proportional to root f, so I would increase by a factor of root 2, not 2'.

How do you do the question before that?
The calculation one to calculate current?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmYourdog
I'm not sure there were any questions in that exam that required you to use your answer from a previous part ( correct me if im wrong ) - eg if it asked you to calculate the wavelength in part ai) then in part aiii) it asked you to calculate the energy of the wavelegnth. You would get the ECF mark. - But I don't think there was any like this?

For the writting questions I don't think you would get any ECF marks in this paper.
If for instance in that rate of temp thing you x your energy by 0.001 right at the beginning you would ONLY get the method marks. You wouldn't get the Answer mark. - But I'm not an OCR examiner and nor do I know how lenient the mark scheme will be this year, but I do belive that has generally how marks have been awarded in the past.

Ohhh, okay.
I guess that makes sense.

For the increase in temperature, why don't you multiply by 0.01? Isn't it the energy of the x-ray photons?

Ironically, I crossed out the 0.99 one since the change in temperature was too high.
It'd make more sense if the temperature change was only 6℃ initially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1775
anyone have any idea when the markscheme is coming out?
The paper is here for you guys!
Was in a rush to get pictures but you can see most of the text on the paper.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E70A82BEA871306F!379&authkey=!AARUd_ypeDPXfkM&ithint=folder%2c
Reply 1777
Ohhh, okay.
I guess that makes sense.

For the increase in temperature, why don't you multiply by 0.01? Isn't it the energy of the x-ray photons?

Ironically, I crossed out the 0.99 one since the change in temperature was too high.
It'd make more sense if the temperature change was only 6℃ initially.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the increase in temp is due to 99% of electrons energy converted to heat 1% is converted to X ray photons.
Original post by trooken
How do you do the question before that?
The calculation one to calculate current?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I'm talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faggy
the increase in temp is due to 99% of electrons energy converted to heat 1% is converted to X ray photons.

So will I lose 1 out of the 4 marks then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending