The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lad123
I used 3cm and 30, i looked it up and 3 should be ok but i think Beta is like 15cm which is half as much so idk, but they'll definitely be a range

I put the exact same :biggrin: such a dodgy question
Reply 3201
Did anyone mention 'self sustaining' in the describing a chain reaction question along with induced fission and neutrons released and critical mass?
Reply 3202
Original post by k9000
Did anyone mention 'self sustaining' in the describing a chain reaction question along with induced fission and neutrons released and critical mass?

yep
We were told to write the R on the front of our paper! They hadn't come out in the printing
Original post by CD223
Range of alpha and beta I put as 5cm and 30cm. Do you thin k there'll be a range?

I got 3.0m for the diameter of the telescope.

Alpha was 0.1m and beta is 1m
Original post by mrno1324
Wasn't the abs magnitude 1.98(1) - M = 5log(25/10)
Well **** that 1 I added changes it significantly, do you think they'll accept it?

Doesn't that make the absolute magnitude = -1 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chizz1889
Yes they are all for the rewritten paper which you sat, they rewrite each optional paper as a safety precaution when they rewrite the section a paper

Yes but there was no R, not in sectionA, not in sectionB
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by CD223
I stupidly said main sequence and just used 2.57AU in the first question. I also said extrapolate in the six marker despite showing a graph with a temperature scale in kelvin so I've lost so many marks :/
same i said main sequence by mistake, but you should be method marks saying that temp decreases from 0 to M! I only used 2.57 AU seems so obvious now! i think many people will have made silly mistakes despite it being so straight forward ie not as high grade boundaries as you may think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sol.smith
We were told to write the R on the front of our paper! They hadn't come out in the printing

Was it a request from AQA? They didn't tell us to write something and there was no R.
For anyone who did applied, what did you get for moment of inertia before the 6 marker? I got 4.4x10^-2, but my mate got 5.something?
Reply 3210
Original post by JAW-97
For anyone who did applied, what did you get for moment of inertia before the 6 marker? I got 4.4x10^-2, but my mate got 5.something?

Fairly sure I got the same as you
Reply 3211
Original post by Emmanuel12344
Alpha was 0.1m and beta is 1m

how do you know?
Anyone got grade boundary predictions for 120 ums and A* for Nuclear and the turning points paper? I would be feeling confident if it wasn't for the blip from 2011, those grade boundaries were scarily higher than any other paper!
Original post by CD223
Ah I just remember in past papers it's said beyond 30cm a source must be gamma as remaining types will not reach this far?

I've not looked up any answers bar what's on here. I thought the star was a main sequence as its power output was similar to the sun :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really well maybe they do accept 30cm i hope so, obviously different sources will have different values as it varies so hopefully 30cm is in AQA's range
Original post by CD223
how do you know?

In the text book
Original post by lad123
Really well maybe they do accept 30cm i hope so, obviously different sources will have different values as it varies so hopefully 30cm is in AQA's range

I said the gamma rays obey the inverse square law is that wrong
Original post by Doomlar
My answers for the questions that didn't have a "show that the answer is this" were:

Thermal and Nuclear
Range of α\alpha = 0.1m
Range of β\beta = 2.0m
Density = 1.63×1017kgm31.63 \times 10^{17} kg m^{-3}
Number of nuclei = 2.35×10172.35 \times 10^{17}
Energy used = 47000J
(Crms)2=2.07×107m2s2\left(C_{rms}\right)^{2} = 2.07 \times 10^{7} m^{2} s^{-2}
Temperature = 319K

Astrophysics
Maximum distance = 5.36×1011m5.36 \times 10^{11} m
Diameter = 15m (unsure about this)
In the 6 mark essay my period was 4 days, and my velocity was 109800 ms-1
Magnitude = -0.01 (definitely derped on this; 1sf and I missed the minus lmao)
Temperature = 16100K
White dwarf radius = 9.37×106m9.37 \times 10^{6} m
Black hole radius = 2.95×1013m2.95 \times 10^{13} m
Age of the universe = 4.96×1017s4.96 \times 10^{17} s

Oh dear... I got several different answers there
In the AQA Nelson Thornes textbook it says those values, take a look at page 157!
(edited 8 years ago)
Did anyone here do turning points?
For the length contraction one I got 11m
For the muon decaying I got something like 240 muons that make it to earth (2.06 half lives)
For the milikans six marker I talked about the finding charge mass ratio, the density, putting tag force equal to the force from gravity and finding radius from that. Then use radius to find mass and mass to find charge.
For newtons corpuscal theory I said the velocity normal to the substance increases and parallel velocity remains constant.
Thought it wasn't too bad of a section so I'm predicting 56/75 for an A* and 52/75 for an A.. Think I've got around 55-60 so happy overall
50/75 a low B?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending