The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Ah reflexes that's such an obvious one I can't believe that didn't come To me in The exam!
Original post by annagilbertt
I wrote about that's as well!

So annoying, apparently it said "referring to the pre-synaptic membrane" or something, if we did it i'm sure there are many others!
guys i know some peeps are saying the grade boundaries will be high but i genuinely dont think so. 2012 had the lowest boundaries and their unit 5 paper was soo much easier than ours! So have hope 👍
What do you think the boundary will be for full ums
Reply 2284
For the 10a essay I did homeostasis so temperature and blood glucose control, heart rate control, and photosynthesis - I think that's all from units 4 & 5 how many marks will I drop?
Unofficial markscheme?
E
Original post by cdm234
for the essay - i did 10b and thought at the time it was really good but think i misinterpreted it, i wrote about how humans control their own growth and reproduction:
- meiosis/mitosis
- stem cells
- menstrual cycle
- transcription/translation
- respiration (energy for growth)
- homeostasis

how many marks do you think i will get?

exact same topics as me
U5.docx
This is someone elses but here you go
Original post by biojames
anyone doing a mark scheme ? hoping i got a high c/b but i bet i didn't :/
I attempted question 10a and I'm freaking out I'm so worried!!!!I spoke about mostly thermoregulation; how thermoreceptors detect high temperatures and that controlling of an internal environment is integral to avoid denaturing of essential enzymes such as dehydrogenase which oxadises triosephosphate in glycolysis for synthesis of ATP.I also said in times of high heat, due to this importance of a maintained body temperature, the body releases sweat so heat from skin is conducted. But then I went into LOADS of detail about how the body heats itself up in response to cold temperatures. I basically outlined every philosogical change that occurs to make someone "shiver". I spent ages talking about THE ENTIRE process:

- thermoreceptors detecting low temp in external environment• stimulates heating center of hypothalamus

- increases the amount of action potentials in autonomic nervous system• outlined the transmission of an action potential (sodium ions and each stage in polarisation)

- how in order for this nerve impulse to be transmitted, ATP is needed for sodium potassium pumo to actively tansport sodium outside the membrane such depolation can occur.

- ATP production is dependant on emzymes not being denatured in response to heat and having enough kimetic emergy to move to intermembrame space in chemoosmotic theory, where ATP is produced via diffusion of protons down ATPSynthase. Energy for movement of protons comes from the photons released as result of redox reactions when electrons move to subsequently lower energy stattes in oxidative phisphorilisation.

- how this then leads to exocytosis of vesicles containing acetylcholine in neuromuscular junctions

- increased temporal summatiom so threshold is more quickly achieved• therefore more changing in 3D shape of post synaptic receptors so more influx of sodium ions in t tube and thus more release of calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic rectillium to bind to troponin.

- therefore myosin heads bind at a higher rate to actin filament and more power strokes/cross bridges occur.

- Therefore shivering is a result of low temperatures and creates friction to increase the internal temoerature to 37°C.I know there's a lot in this process, but I'm worried to death because I'm only talking about ONE process (shivering).

I also mentioned about temperature avoiding enzyme denaturation, and I spoke at the end about the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) stimulating pineal gland to release melatonin to induce sleep in response to low light.I feel like I have talked WAY too much about one topic, instead of covering 4-5 areas in less detail. I am SO WORRIED!!!How badly will my mark be affected by doing this??? someone please reply
Hey guys
for the essay I ran out of time and I am panicking, I only got to write about glucose homoestasis and temperature regulation. With glucose homeostasis I explained how it was controlled so the whole mechanism of adenylate cyclase and alpha cells and glucagon....with high glucose concentration I explained and talked about insulin in cells and glucose transporters and lipogenesis. I also said why its bad, so high glucose bad due to altering water potential, osmotic lysis, low water potential bad due to not enough glucose for cells. For temp I talked about high temp, regulatef by theroregulatory centre in hypothalamus and all the different mechanisms such as smooth muscles in arteriole of the skin etc and also high temp causing hyperthermia and how hyperthermia could lead to fatal death via thermogenesis etc and hypothermia nd how that could lead to death due to low metabollic rate and less shivering. I ran out of time as I went to talk about control of heart rate, what do you think I got on essay? I didn't have time to make a plan....I am so scared. this was such a nice essay title and I ran out of time! There are only two topics covered but in detail but still only two topics! How many marks would I get? I haven't stopped crying since yesterday :/ please any help 😢😢😢😢😢
Original post by hairat
Hey guys
for the essay I ran out of time and I am panicking, I only got to write about glucose homoestasis and temperature regulation. With glucose homeostasis I explained how it was controlled so the whole mechanism of adenylate cyclase and alpha cells and glucagon....with high glucose concentration I explained and talked about insulin in cells and glucose transporters and lipogenesis. I also said why its bad, so high glucose bad due to altering water potential, osmotic lysis, low water potential bad due to not enough glucose for cells. For temp I talked about high temp, regulatef by theroregulatory centre in hypothalamus and all the different mechanisms such as smooth muscles in arteriole of the skin etc and also high temp causing hyperthermia and how hyperthermia could lead to fatal death via thermogenesis etc and hypothermia nd how that could lead to death due to low metabollic rate and less shivering. I ran out of time as I went to talk about control of heart rate, what do you think I got on essay? I didn't have time to make a plan....I am so scared. this was such a nice essay title and I ran out of time! There are only two topics covered but in detail but still only two topics! How many marks would I get? I haven't stopped crying since yesterday :/ please any help 😢😢😢😢😢

OMG literally I did the exact same thing as you and I haven't stopped stressing either! But I went to my bio teacher about this and she said you don't know what the breadth marks are and it sounds to me like your scientific content will be good so honestly don't worry I was in the exact same position:smile: ALso the essay was on the importance- which you explained, not necessarily just describing loads of responses:P
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MevMev
OMG literally I did the exact same thing as you and I haven't stopped stressing either! But I went to my bio teacher about this and she said you don't know what the breadth marks are and it sounds to me like your scientific content will be good so honestly don't worry I was in the exact same position:smile:

I swear I love you! Thank you so much for that, did she say how many marks we can hope to get approximately? Because it also said importance of this and I described the mechanisms and then went on to importance, is that okay for relevance? I desribed the responses more and then went onto importance, did we just have to describe the importance?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hairat
I swear I love you! Thank you so much for that, did she say how many marks we can hope to get approximately? Because it also said importance of this and I described the mechanisms and then went on to importance, is that okay for relevance?

Yeah she said we would probs get full relevance marks, maybe drop 1or 2 in breadth and then at least 10 on scientific content, so all in all maybe 17 or higher so you can still get A/A*
Original post by MevMev
OMG literally I did the exact same thing as you and I haven't stopped stressing either! But I went to my bio teacher about this and she said you don't know what the breadth marks are and it sounds to me like your scientific content will be good so honestly don't worry I was in the exact same position:smile: ALso the essay was on the importance- which you explained, not necessarily just describing loads of responses:P

Same here, I felt the questions required a good bit of thinking which took up most of my time. I only had 25 mins to write me essay and 5 to plan. It was so rushed I was literally going to have a myocarfial infarction in the exam. all I managed to get into the 10a essay was light receptors, pressure, CO2 and insulin. I also squeezed in two sentances on xerophytes and adaptions to external env. load of ****. Im annoyed as I was so ready to smash the essay and tbh im not sure where the marks lie. Its really annoying as everyone is on about the essay and how well it went, but the questions were real bitches sspecially some of the graphs. I really dont know how to feel, its ashame it ended like this.
Original post by Xx1CALUM1xX
Same here, I felt the questions required a good bit of thinking which took up most of my time. I only had 25 mins to write me essay and 5 to plan. It was so rushed I was literally going to have a myocarfial infarction in the exam. all I managed to get into the 10a essay was light receptors, pressure, CO2 and insulin. I also squeezed in two sentances on xerophytes and adaptions to external env. load of ****. Im annoyed as I was so ready to smash the essay and tbh im not sure where the marks lie. Its really annoying as everyone is on about the essay and how well it went, but the questions were real bitches sspecially some of the graphs. I really dont know how to feel, its ashame it ended like this.

Yeah do you know what though forget about the essay theres always gonna be something you could have done better even if you get a high grade, just look forward to a nice long summer ahead and whatever happens on results day, it will happen for a reason:smile:
Original post by MevMev
Yeah she said we would probs get full relevance marks, maybe drop 1or 2 in breadth and then at least 10 on scientific content, so all in all maybe 17 or higher so you can still get A/A*

Thanks!!!!! Still scared!!!!! Hopefully we all get what we want.....☺☺☺☺☺☺
Original post by hairat
Thanks!!!!! Still scared!!!!! Hopefully we all get what we want.....☺☺☺☺☺☺

Thing is I still don't know exactly what course I want to do, Im really torn between Medicine and neuroscience, do you have any advice??
Original post by MevMev
Thing is I still don't know exactly what course I want to do, Im really torn between Medicine and neuroscience, do you have any advice??

Depends on what you enjoy, medicine is more to do with chemistry and neuroscience is more to do with biology, as it is more to do with brain, so depends if you want to do medicine and then specalise in brain or other part of the body or if you want to do neuroscience. Do you see what I mean? Also think about different career paths you might want for neuroscience after the degree
Original post by hairat
Depends on what you enjoy, medicine is more to do with chemistry and neuroscience is more to do with biology, as it is more to do with brain, so depends if you want to do medicine and then specalise in brain or other part of the body or if you want to do neuroscience. Do you see what I mean? Also think about different career paths you might want for neuroscience after the degree

Mmm yeah my teachers are telling me that if you don't get the grades for medicine, its not the end of the world because they see me personally making so much more of a contribution as a scientist rather than a doctor, also they were like your interest lies in finding out about new stuff in science and research would suit me well and I should do post grad med if I still want it after neuroscience
Original post by MevMev
Mmm yeah my teachers are telling me that if you don't get the grades for medicine, its not the end of the world because they see me personally making so much more of a contribution as a scientist rather than a doctor, also they were like your interest lies in finding out about new stuff in science and research would suit me well and I should do post grad med if I still want it after neuroscience

That is true! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending