The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sam.B57
cheers, I wont get my hopes up then

Ah; fair enough.

Sounds like me then. I was optimistic of an A* until I learned that the ISA counts too (just have to hope for an A* in maths now...)
Hi guys I have to show you this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_gold
I bet I totally ****ing forgot to cube the radius in my calculator :lol:
It's probably already been said 15 times, too lazy to check, but if you're wondering why it was 'PHY5A/1R',

This is probably the reason --> www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jun/11/exams-rewritten-after-van-containing-papers-stolen

Sociology at the same time had the same thing as well.

I think that exam went quite well. Hopefully uni placement is sorted now!
Original post by Puzzled_Logician
For anyone else who did the applied module; how do you think it compared difficulty wise to previous years?

Personally I found it harder than some of the previous years; but mainly due to mostly being word based questions (there didn't seem to be much maths this year).

I am better at maths than explaining stuff; but it could've been much worse I guess.

yeah applied was more difficult this year, what did you include for the six marker?
Ah; fair enough.

Sounds like me then. I was optimistic of an A* until I learned that the ISA counts too (just have to hope for an A* in maths now...)

Yeah, we did the EMPA and I'm no good at those
Was hoping for an A* in maths too which was more probable than for physics, but think I mucked C4 up too much too
for the average root mean squared calc, did you have to divide by 3?
Original post by huniibehi
yeah applied was more difficult this year, what did you include for the six marker?

To quote myself (not normally a good idea, as I don't really want to portray arrogance, but I can't really be bothered to retype it)

Can't remember my exact wording (and I've never been good at engine cycle's so I can't assume it is correct) but something like:

More work done as pressure builds; due to adiabatic change going to a greater pressure.
Gas heats up more due to rate of change of pressure increasing (same revolutions per minute).
So power input required goes up as power does.

I can't really remember if those were all the main points I put; but most of them. And it was padded out with some other stuff that may be relevant.
Can anyone confirm what the question was for the Vegas and Earth question, Calculate *something* angle Vegas subtends on Earth? Was it angle subtended when asteriod is at max distance, min distance, or some other distance?
Original post by CD223
Here's what I did.

Picture1.jpg

EDIT: There's an error in the notes as they forget to cube r0.

I feel like that calculation misses out the fact there were 51 or however many nucleons though.
Original post by Sam.B57
Yeah, we did the EMPA and I'm no good at those
Was hoping for an A* in maths too which was more probable than for physics, but think I mucked C4 up too much too

Which exam board do you do for maths?

I found MPC3 alright, and MPC4 was a relief when it was over (I'm not great at vectors questions, but I thankfully this paper had a nice one).

Just a few silly mistakes in each, but nothing too drastic from my perspective; just need to get M2 sorted now!
Reply 3271
Original post by Doomlar
I feel like that calculation misses out the fact there were 51 or however many nucleons though.

The density is independent of nucleon number, as above.
Original post by huniibehi
for the average root mean squared calc, did you have to divide by 3?

I think you square each value (of speed) and divide through by 3 then, to get the Crms^2
Reply 3273

I found MPC3 alright, and MPC4 was a relief when it was over (I'm not great at vectors questions, but I thankfully this paper had a nice one).

Just a few silly mistakes in each, but nothing too drastic from my perspective; just need to get M2 sorted now!

I found MPC3 easier. Core 4 I dropped 10-12 marks. Hoping it doesn't cost me an A* :/

Edexcel for maths and FM, AQA for physics and chemistry
Annoying thing with my C4 paper, I messed up the last 6 marks and only needed a couple extra minutes to correct it :'(
To quote myself (not normally a good idea, as I don't really want to portray arrogance, but I can't really be bothered to retype it)

sounds similar to mine but i didn't really get the question tbh
Original post by CD223
I found MPC3 easier. Core 4 I dropped 10-12 marks. Hoping it doesn't cost me an A* :/

Interesting. Most people here (as in at our school) found MPC4 easier than MPC3.

Personally I thought MPC4 was a nicer paper than it could have been; MPC3 was harder than previous years (like Q.8, took me half an hour to 8a, which is nearly as much as the rest of the paper, before realising dividing through by cot^2 would let it 'drop out') so not impossible papers; not overwhelmingly easy either though...
Reply 3277
Interesting. Most people here found MPC4 easier than MPC3.

Personally I thought MPC4 was a nicer paper than it could have been; MPC3 was harder than previous years (like Q.8, took me half an hour to 8a, which is nearly as much as the rest of the paper, before realising dividing through by cot^2 would let it 'drop out':wink: so not impossible papers; not overwhelmingly easy either though...

I agree. The actual paper for C4 wasn't difficult I just dropped quite a few marks. Praying for 180 :s-smilie:
Original post by Bowenabc
Can anyone confirm what the question was for the Vegas and Earth question, Calculate *something* angle Vegas subtends on Earth? Was it angle subtended when asteriod is at max distance, min distance, or some other distance?

1.73x10^11
Original post by Sam.B57
Edexcel for maths and FM, AQA for physics and chemistry
Annoying thing with my C4 paper, I messed up the last 6 marks and only needed a couple extra minutes to correct it :'(

Yeah; for CHEM4 I found I run out of time, too many questions of typical difficulty where you'd normally have 9.

But none of my exams stick out as going drastically badly to be honest..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending