The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
I said main sequence because it had similar output to the sun :s-smilie:

I said main sequence because it was a bit bigger than the Sun with my radius and a core that size (as a dwarf star is just a core) would have formed a neutron star, and obviously too small to be a giant star, and then mentioned spectral class from temperature... really hoping for follow through marks maybe!!!
Original post by StarvingAutist
For ****'s sake. Assuming this is true, how many marks would I lose?

Hard to tell for six markers, 1 or 2 I'd think.
Original post by Lau14
Hard to tell for six markers, 1 or 2 I'd think.

I hope it's 1. **** me sideways. What a blunder to make.
Original post by OprahWinfrey
For astro, m-M= 5 log d/10 is d measured in parsecs?? I converted into parsecs and idk if i should have :///

Yep, you should convert to parsecs don't worry :smile: everyone that got somewhere around -80 forgot this I think!
Original post by OprahWinfrey
For astro, m-M= 5 log d/10 is d measured in parsecs?? I converted into parsecs and idk if i should have :///

I did that too
I hope it's 1. **** me sideways. What a blunder to make.

I'd say because of the way they mark them and this seemed like one you could write a lot about dropping 1 mark is most likely unless one of the crietria for getting in the 5-6 bracket is to have done both calculations, which is plausible.
Can anyone explain how to do the question about the electron?, if you would be able to show each step as i'm trying to work out how many marks i would get for intermediate stages, thanks.
Reply 3307
Original post by Blablalb
Can anyone explain how to do the question about the electron?, if you would be able to show each step as i'm trying to work out how many marks i would get for intermediate stages, thanks.

Which paper/question was that?
Original post by bwr19
Which paper/question was that?

Turning points, it was a 4-marker.
Original post by k9000
I left muon till last as it looked difficult but it was just a relativity question unstructured :/. The 6 marker was a gift though.. I finished at charge on the droplet and how to measure then said charge is always n*1.6x10-19.. It didnt say mass of the electron needed measuring right?

Yeah that's what I did too, but I ran out of time before I could work it out! I had no idea about the question talking about the Sun being stationary relative to the Earth though!!
I loved the 6 marker! You didn't have to find the electron mass, but you had to explain how to find the radius (by using the forces on it when it's falling at maximum velocity)
Original post by Lau14
I'd say because of the way they mark them and this seemed like one you could write a lot about dropping 1 mark is most likely unless one of the crietria for getting in the 5-6 bracket is to have done both calculations, which is plausible.

Ugh. You know, I just won't think about it any more.
Original post by Puzzled_Logician
For anyone else who did the applied module; how do you think it compared difficulty wise to previous years?

Personally I found it harder than some of the previous years; but mainly due to mostly being word based questions (there didn't seem to be much maths this year).

I am better at maths than explaining stuff; but it could've been much worse I guess.

That 6 marker, kill me please. Everything else was pretty standard though.
Reply 3312
Woop! No more physics!
Ugh. You know, I just won't think about it any more.

Probably for the best, nothing to be done about it until results day now anyway! :smile:
Original post by Puzzled_Logician
For anyone else who did the applied module; how do you think it compared difficulty wise to previous years?

Personally I found it harder than some of the previous years; but mainly due to mostly being word based questions (there didn't seem to be much maths this year).

I am better at maths than explaining stuff; but it could've been much worse I guess.

more difficult indeed, slightly odd question. Rest of it was fine thankfully
you know the one where you had to work out temperature and the radius and then tick the box for what type of star it was. What is the right answer for that radius?
Possible grade boundaries for astro?
Original post by simonli2575
Do you think I might get marks for 0.05m and 1.0m for their ranges?

And what's that about the shield becoming radioactive?

It's 0.06m and 1m in the text book, so yeah.
Original post by Lau14
Probably for the best, nothing to be done about it until results day now anyway! :smile:

Indeed. Good luck :smile:
For nuclei that large using the atomic mass unit is more accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending