The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin Literature Set-texts 2015 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi there!

That's not an ideal situation but you should be fine- being able to pick certain things out of a text and do close analysis is a very good skill to have and will get you good marks in the exam!

In terms of the 8 and 10 mark questions- the 10 markers are always linked to a passage they give you and usually entail doing analysis of language and word order and so themes aren't so much of a problem!

For the 8 marker, quite often they involve comparing the two texts, and are usually based around which writer makes their text more exciting/ vivid/ memorable. Or to do with comparisons of characters. Thus I would recommend looking at how each writer makes their text interesting eg. In Cicero the vivid portrayals of characters especially through Sextius' sadistic nature, and also the pathos he creates for the ships captains and the constant reinforcement of this idea!

For Livy I would look at how action packed it is-brief phrases, mayhem and action and also the focus on pietas- the qualities of being a Roman!

Hope this helps a bit and good luck for it!
Reply 81
What would the major themes of the Aeneid be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone post an example 8 mark answer for livy and cicero
Reply 83
Any ideas for what the eight mark question will be for Cicero/Livy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SUGNA
xx

This helps so much, thank you!! How's the timing on the paper, by the way? Is it as, uh, easy-going as the language paper or is it more like the timing on English lit? And, hmm, referring to your points do you think it'd be a fair conclusion to draw that Livy's characters are analogies for what the perfect Roman should be, whereas Cicero's are the harsh depths that humans can fall to, and therefore the two contrast?
(edited 8 years ago)
how did you guys find it
Reply 86
Though it was pretty good, both the 8 mark and 10 mark were on Cicero though...
Could someone please help me with analysis on Horace's satire (Journey to Brundisium) and a Storm at Sea please? I don't actually have proper Latin lessons :frown::frown:
Reply 88
For the Section A 8 marker, would these points be enough for 6+ marks?:

- Verres is incompetent, he only "vidit" ("saw") the fleet when, as praetor, one of his duties would have been to closely inspect the fleet

- Corrupt and decadent, keeps company with prostitutes - unfit for a praetor

- Cleomenes "considered himself another Verres" - so behaves in similar manner

- Cleomenes tries to emulate a powerful praetor but only drinks in a tent - bathos. Cicero may think that he is almost a pitiful man

- Both of them are evil, their corruption leads to cruelty as they condemn the ships captains for surrendering the fleet when it was their own fault for not having the fleet at Odyssea

- Conclusion: both decadent and corrupt, this corruption then leads to cruelty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393
For the Section A 8 marker, would these points be enough for 6+ marks?

- Verres is incompetent, he only "vidit" ("saw":wink: the fleet when, as praetor, one of his duties would have been to closely inspect the fleet

- Corrupt and decadent, keeps company with prostitutes - unfit for a praetor

- Cleomenes "considered himself another Verres" - so behaves in similar manner

- Cleomenes tries to emulate a powerful praetor but only drinks in a tent - bathos. Cicero may think that he is almost a pitiful man

- Both of them are evil, their corruption leads to cruelty as they condemn the ships captains for surrendering the fleet when it was their own fault for not having the fleet at Odyssea

- Conclusion: both decadent and corrupt, this corruption then leads to cruelty

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's amazing!!
What do you think for mine:
Verres is very corrupt- he keeps the money intended to pay the wages. His corruption is far reaching which is shown by the long list of cities and the fact that the land based garrison troops are in the same state
Verres doesnt do his job properly, he neglects his duties- he is seen with a tunic on, this appears to be feminine imagery which is rather paradoxical showing how unfit he is for his role
Cleomenes also neglects his duties because he is drinking whilst he is meant to be looking after the fleet, he is also delusional because he thinks he is another verres when hes only a henchman
verres is evil- shown by his treatment of the ship captains
ultimately they are both selfish, we see how disgusting verres is because he is never given a name
also do you know what the grade boundaries generally are for these papers?
Reply 91
Original post by Lola1244

Yeah your answer is really good should definitely get 8/8 :smile:

Also last year it was 44/50 for an A* but not sure what the other boundaries were, guessing around 38 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92

What points did you make for the 10 mark question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What points did you make for the 10 mark question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I talked about how harsh the punishment on the parents was- anaphora of prohibentur, the fact that the verb started the line, there must have been some alliteration in there :') oh yes the mother alliteration, the double negative to show how much they are being denied
for sextius i put direct speech, he says filio tuo which is like emotional torture, tantum is repeated
thats it really- do you know how many points you have to have?
what did you put?
What are you doing for verse- if virgil do you guess anything for the 8 marker? Maybe how war is presented
Reply 94
I talked about how harsh the punishment on the parents was- anaphora of prohibentur, the fact that the verb started the line, there must have been some alliteration in there :') oh yes the mother alliteration, the double negative to show how much they are being denied
for sextius i put direct speech, he says filio tuo which is like emotional torture, tantum is repeated
thats it really- do you know how many points you have to have?
what did you put?
What are you doing for verse- if virgil do you guess anything for the 8 marker? Maybe how war is presented

For the 10 mark I too said about the 'm' alliteration and the double negative, the repetition of familial words and "hi patres quos videtis" - causes pathos. I said about the prosopopoeia with Sextius and then the focus on tantum - shows he is interested only in money and the rhetorical question. So I suppose I made about 4/5 points.

Yeah I am doing Virgil, I saw someone suggest it might be how Virgil creates sympathy for Nisus and Euralyus, how he portrays the relationship or how does he maintain our interest? I suppose one of these could also be the 10 mark question, if they give us an extract and then we pick out points from that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing Nisus and Euryalus have any good analysis or any good points for 8 or 10 markers?
Reply 96
Everyone ready for tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone ready for tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

how did you find it?
what do you think for this 8 marker- im not sure its very good haha
they should be praised because they are just ordinary warriors yet undertake a very dangerous expedition
they should be pitied because they are doomed from the start with foreshadowing, but they should still be praised because its admirable that they fight against their destiny
they get carried away so they should not be praised
but then nisus recognizes when to
euryalus has an untimely death which is pitiful
but nisus is able to avenge his death which should be praised as he had to get past 300 rutulians
overall nisus should be praised euryalus should be pitied
Reply 98
how did you find it?
what do you think for this 8 marker- im not sure its very good haha
they should be praised because they are just ordinary warriors yet undertake a very dangerous expedition
they should be pitied because they are doomed from the start with foreshadowing, but they should still be praised because its admirable that they fight against their destiny
they get carried away so they should not be praised
but then nisus recognizes when to
euryalus has an untimely death which is pitiful
but nisus is able to avenge his death which should be praised as he had to get past 300 rutulians
overall nisus should be praised euryalus should be pitied

I said they deserve pity because:

They have a very strong relationship (alludes to Diamedes and Odysseus) but this is ended by war
Euryalus has a certain youthful innocence and immaturity leads to his death
Their death was avoidable, Euryalus was forgetful and they got carried away
They were unlucky, the moon betrayed them and once they were spotted they were outnumbered

But I said they should not be praised as:

- They acted immorally by killing Rutulians
- Human weaknesses such as greed overcame them which led to their downfall
- They ultimately failed in their task, they did not reach Aeneas and were killed

I think your points are definitely enough for 8 marks, what do you think of mine? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I said they deserve pity because:

They have a very strong relationship (alludes to Diamedes and Odysseus) but this is ended by war
Euryalus has a certain youthful innocence and immaturity leads to his death
Their death was avoidable, Euryalus was forgetful and they got carried away
They were unlucky, the moon betrayed them and once they were spotted they were outnumbered

But I said they should not be praised as:

- They acted immorally by killing Rutulians
- Human weaknesses such as greed overcame them which led to their downfall
- They ultimately failed in their task, they did not reach Aeneas and were killed

I think your points are definitely enough for 8 marks, what do you think of mine? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha oh I think I wont get 8 marks lol, but yes your points are soo good!! I think i've got about 40 in that paper, hopefully my language papers will bring it up :smile:

Quick Reply