The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarvingAutist
Indeed. Good luck :smile:

And you! :smile:
Anyone who did Medical Physics, quote me, how did you find the paper?
Reply 3322
Any thoughts on grade boundaries then, folks? I don't think either the Thermal or Astro were much harder or easier than last years (astro was probably a bit harder?). Last years boundaries were really low - something like 58/75 for 120 UMS.

I really hope I get full UMS in this one to make up for my terrible unit 4. Not sure if I can still rescue my A grade even if I got full UMS. :s-smilie:
Original post by Doomlar
My answers for the questions that didn't have a "show that the answer is this" were:

Thermal and Nuclear
Range of α\alpha = 0.1m
Range of β\beta = 2.0m
Density = 1.63×1017kgm31.63 \times 10^{17} kg m^{-3}
Number of nuclei = 2.35×10172.35 \times 10^{17}
Energy used = 47000J
(Crms)2=2.07×107m2s2\left(C_{rms}\right)^{2} = 2.07 \times 10^{7} m^{2} s^{-2}
Temperature = 319K

Astrophysics
Maximum distance = 5.36×1011m5.36 \times 10^{11} m
Diameter = 15m (unsure about this)
In the 6 mark essay my period was 4 days, and my velocity was 109800 ms-1
Magnitude = -0.01 (definitely derped on this; 1sf and I missed the minus lmao)
Temperature = 16100K
White dwarf radius = 9.37×106m9.37 \times 10^{6} m
Black hole radius = 2.95×1013m2.95 \times 10^{13} m
Age of the universe = 4.96×1017s4.96 \times 10^{17} s

I got 48000J for energy used :frown: was it Q=mcdeltaT+ml?
Original post by Disney0702
But the neutron number changes so wouldn't the nucleon number be bigger or smaller so the size of the nucleus should be different.

So shouldn't the dispersion be different?

I think you are confusing scattering with diffraction. It is true that in diffraction mass would make a difference as the radius would change but with scattering of two charged particles only the charge will make a difference.
I think anywhere between last years and 2013 grade boundaries I belive, ie 52-56 for an A*
But for alphas hitting the nucleus, and being deflected back on themselves surely the size of the nucleus matters?

Original post by Jamesbe1993
I think you are confusing scattering with diffraction. It is true that in diffraction mass would make a difference as the radius would change but with scattering of two charged particles only the charge will make a difference.
What was the density question? I did (51*1.67*10^-27)/(4/3 *pi*r^3) but I can't remember what r was.

Also, going off of the past grade boundary trends, A* will be 57 and full UMS will be 62
Original post by JacquesCustard
What was the density question? I did (51*1.67*10^-27)/(4/3 *pi*r^3) but I can't remember what r was.

Also, going off of the past grade boundary trends, A* will be 57 and full UMS will be 62

Was it 1.4x1017? I think r was about 5fm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
Was it 1.4x1017? I think r was about 5fm...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, 5fm or so - think I got 1.6 or 1.4 *10^-17

How did you guys do the number of Neptunium nuclei? N=N_0e^(-lambda*t)?
Original post by sophiebeth100
Anyone who did Medical Physics, quote me, how did you find the paper?

Hey i did the medical paper! I found it alright, except the ear question! How did you find it?
Original post by PoojaRathod
But for alphas hitting the nucleus, and being deflected back on themselves surely the size of the nucleus matters?

Under the assumption of equally distributed charge the electrostatic force on the alpha particle will not change even for an increase in radius of the gold nuclei due to an increase in mass. The charge density of the nucleus will change but the strength of the field produced by it will not. Ergo the scattering effect will remain the same.
Original post by BolognaBoy
Yeah, 5fm or so - think I got 1.6 or 1.4 *10^-17

How did you guys do the number of Neptunium nuclei? N=N_0e^(-lambda*t)?
used A=lambda x N ?
Original post by chizz1889
Yeah there was, the exam code was PHYA5R

I was expecting it to be like that (I heard about the van getting stolen etc.) so I checked and there was no R, I was looking for it !
Original post by Ilovemaths96
more difficult indeed, slightly odd question. Rest of it was fine thankfully

Original post by Razzamataz179
That 6 marker, kill me please. Everything else was pretty standard though.

Have you done 2014 5c? Would you say this was harder or easier? Completely f'd it up. I forgot about the optional unit cause we had to self teach it, only read the book one day before didn't know f all
Urgh lost them marks then 😂😭
Original post by Jamesbe1993
Under the assumption of equally distributed charge the electrostatic force on the alpha particle will not change even for an increase in radius of the gold nuclei due to an increase in mass. The charge density of the nucleus will change but the strength of the field produced by it will not. Ergo the scattering effect will remain the same.
Original post by you-only-live-once
Hey i did the medical paper! I found it alright, except the ear question! How did you find it?

Yes, I thought it was a nice paper! But same here, that graph question on the ear was tricky. I wasn't a fan of the last question on the fluoroscopic image intensifier either as I hadn't revised it. :frown:
how did you write in nuclear eqn?
Original post by sophiebeth100
Yes, I thought it was a nice paper! But same here, that graph question on the ear was tricky. I wasn't a fan of the last question on the fluoroscopic image intensifier either as I hadn't revised it. :frown:

what did you put for the 2 lines P and Q? Ah i found that alright, not so much on the eye bit though.. and for the 6 marker, which points did you write? :smile:
Original post by RemainSilent
how did you write in nuclear eqn?

- Beta decay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending