The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedievalWitch
theres so much though i dont see how we can remember all this if its only a small element of the exam that might not even get asked. im looking at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya_Vision_2030

http://www.vision2030.go.ke/index.php/projects/social

http://www.unep.org/dewa/africa/kenyaatlas/PDF/KenyaAtlas_Pre-Chapter1.pdf

i still dont fully understand it apart from its got 3 pillars and wants to maintain sustained economic growth of 10% p.a. over next 25 years :/

make sure you have a look at some of the policies they're putting in place to further development. On the Vision2030 website there are many policies Keyans government is putting in place to be able to continue development, even though they didn't meet MDGs
Original post by Rawrrr
looool at the riders website crashing! cheers for the pdf one!

I dont see how chi squared can come up but if it does should we learn it or would they tell us how to do it?

If you think about what it would mean then it wont come up, for their to be any form of statistical analysis there have to be statistics and there arent enough in the AIB for it to be calculated:

But if it does come up the equation is X(2)= E(total sum) of (O-E)squared
---------
(E)

Then you work out the degree of freedom by minusing 1 off the number of data sets, then the above equation is used to calculate the critical values, they would give you it all in the exam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPBoFDqNVk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good video
If a question came up in a form like 'Transport is the key to development' discuss. How would I go about answering it. Obviously I know that transport is the best alternative to getting around with Kenyas terrain, but how would I go more in depth to receive high marks?
What kind of statistics/specific facts are people memorising for the exam?
Original post by alexperryyyy
If a question came up in a form like 'Transport is the key to development' discuss. How would I go about answering it. Obviously I know that transport is the best alternative to getting around with Kenyas terrain, but how would I go more in depth to receive high marks?

In the context of development thats very broad but i guess you could say:

Allows for transport of health care supplies
Allows for transport of raw materials for building purposes
The technology must be appropriate technology and be able to be managed by the people using it
Must also be multi functional
Must be organised in a way that it is not taken advantage of or corrupted
It basically lays the foundation for a connected and efficient social and economic economy

Then alternatives can include how you need to build roads before transport as only small motorbikes can traverse the harsh rural environments thats why ambulances cant reach out skirting areas.
Could talk about the types of methods that transport is given i,e, should be given as develop mental aid along with education on upkeep, and also not given to officals and stamped as 'AID'.
Good transport allows for efficient emergency response

Transport also allows children to get to school, water to be collected quickly and efficiently therefore woman can get out of the household job routines and earn a living. It opens up many possiblities in terms of diversification of industry
(edited 8 years ago)
Suggest an alternative graphical technique for representingthe data on figure P7 and justify your choice (8).Examine the factors that lead to the creation of slums inKenya (10). Any help Adam :tongue:
Original post by Jessica Starfell
Suggest an alternative graphical technique for representingthe data on figure P7 and justify your choice (8).Examine the factors that lead to the creation of slums inKenya (10). Any help Adam :tongue:

Alternative techniques include:

Cloropleth maps (as these are isopleths)
Dot density
Cartograms
Proportional circles
Proportional triangles
Micromaps
Custom colouring

The advantages of the others can be worked around the disadvantages of the isopleths in that, they highlight areas which shouldnt be, the range of the key means that small variations are not known or ones close to the boundaries and there is a lack of detailed information

Factors that led to slum creation:

Main slum is Kiberia home to 710,000
factors that lead to spontaneous settlement development include;
Push factors such as low pay and conflict, rapid urbanisation, poor housing infrastructure, high city land prices, lack of employment, lack of skilled migrants, crime, overcrowding, lack of control of law, informal employment sector such as soap and recycling in Dharavi, Mumbai

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
btw guys, every keeps referring to the maps as chloropleth maps, but i think they're actually Isopleth maps?
Original post by jmasterson11
btw guys, every keeps referring to the maps as chloropleth maps, but i think they're actually Isopleth maps?

you are very much correct!
Original post by adam harperRB
you are very much correct!

and surely a good alternative to representing data to a isopleth map would be a chloropleth map? because it's can contain sub-charts for seperated areas, thus being more specific

What is the difference between them?
and surely a good alternative to representing data to a isopleth map would be a chloropleth map? because it's can contain sub-charts for seperated areas, thus being more specific

Yes because then you could group regions together and highlight smaller impoverished regions and can give more detailed information
Original post by subject1
What is the difference between them?

A chloropleth map has distinct boundaries between values, imagine shading in the US states and each state line being a boundary, and can have other forms of information within it like pie charts
Isopleths have no distinct boundaries on the edge of the data and 'flow' think of thermal imaging
most of you on here have completely wasted your time going into the depth of research, yes you know lots about kenya, but the exam are not going to ask things totally out of the blue about random stuff in kenya, people have misunderstood the AIB and should have focussed their research much more on each item and just gone into the depth required in the smaller topics, not some of the things people are saying on here which are completely farfetched and frankly worthless - overcomplicating the whole situation, you'll need to know MDG's, some background of kenya, vision 2030, climate change effects, and then maybe look into the riders work and the geography of kenya such as the ASAL lands and how all of these effect development, aid the MDG's and general knowledge on them.
Original post by fdagfdfd
most of you on here have completely wasted your time going into the depth of research, yes you know lots about kenya, but the exam are not going to ask things totally out of the blue about random stuff in kenya, people have misunderstood the AIB and should have focussed their research much more on each item and just gone into the depth required in the smaller topics, not some of the things people are saying on here which are completely farfetched and frankly worthless - overcomplicating the whole situation, you'll need to know MDG's, some background of kenya, vision 2030, climate change effects, and then maybe look into the riders work and the geography of kenya such as the ASAL lands and how all of these effect development, aid the MDG's and general knowledge on them.

Yeah i understand, its not about figures as there is no mark scheme inclusions for stuff like that, but having figures allows for better interpretation of the booklet, but fundamentally its about words not numbers. As its just about thinking like a geographer
Original post by fdagfdfd

thank you for the list as i was really confused as to what we need to know for further research but can i ask why we need to know climate change effects and ASAL lands?? slightly confused with that
What's the ASAL lands??
climate change is a large section in the chapter 2: MDG's, it is saying abut the relevance of MDG 7 and how it can act as s stepping stone, as increased temperature causes more extreme events, more extreme events = loss of farmland, loss of farmland makes less money, less money can buy less food, less food makes more hungry - its a vicious cycle. Hence the reliance on the success in MDG 7 to have larger forests, to implement some factors to prevent climate change such as other fuels, or climate change acts etc - as you can see its rather large but climate change is linked to; food security, disease, flooding, drought, death, malaria, more mosquitos, stagnant water = more disease, less water = more conflict - and so on.
ASAL lands purely is just slight knowledge as it isn't mentioned in the AIB and its good to recognise what it is, Arid and Semi-Arid lands - less agriculture but more livestock, less people as people have moved where more economic opportunity to the highlands, to grow crops and make money - leading to more people so more poverty - silly choices and lack of organization making kenya pay unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending