The Student Room Group

GCSE Statistics exam 2015

In two days, I have my GCSE Statistics exam (Edexcel) and I don't know how to start revising, but could anyone provide some questions about standard deviation and probability? (These are the areas I'm weakest on). Also, can anyone who's done it, tell me what sort of same questions/topics have popped up in the past few years?

I got an A in my course work (31/40) but I would like to get an A* overall so what mark would I have to get in the exam, in order to achieve this?

Any help will be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by janchiu16
In two days, I have my GCSE Statistics exam (Edexcel) and I don't know how to start revising, but could anyone provide some questions about standard deviation and probability? (These are the areas I'm weakest on). Also, can anyone who's done it, tell me what sort of same questions/topics have popped up in the past few years?

I got an A in my course work (31/40) but I would like to get an A* overall so what mark would I have to get in the exam, in order to achieve this?

Hi, I'm in year 9 and doing this exam too! I got 29/40 on the coursework and my teacher said I had to get 70-80% for an A/A*. To revise I would recommend just practicing a couple of papers before Thursday. Does your school have MyMaths, I would also recommend going through their sections on standard deviation and probability. Remember you don't need to learn the formula for standard deviation off by heart because it is at the front of the paper.

Here is a link to a page with past standard deviation questions. There are videos that go through how to solve most of the questions along with the full paper and mark scheme!

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/statistics/representing-data/discrete/mean/exam-questions/Edexcel/S1/questions.php

The same website also have stuff on probability that might be of use to you, here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/statistics/probability/tree-diagrams/exam-questions/Edexcel/S1/questions-1.php

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on! :smile:

Yh I got the exact same marks in my coursework, we're in the same situation. I've looked at past grades and ums u would need approx 85 marks aim for 90 to be safe that's what I'm doing :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by beccadf1
Hi, I'm in year 9 and doing this exam too! I got 29/40 on the coursework and my teacher said I had to get 70-80% for an A/A*. To revise I would recommend just practicing a couple of papers before Thursday. Does your school have MyMaths, I would also recommend going through their sections on standard deviation and probability. Remember you don't need to learn the formula for standard deviation off by heart because it is at the front of the paper.

Here is a link to a page with past standard deviation questions. There are videos that go through how to solve most of the questions along with the full paper and mark scheme!

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/statistics/representing-data/discrete/mean/exam-questions/Edexcel/S1/questions.php

The same website also have stuff on probability that might be of use to you, here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/statistics/probability/tree-diagrams/exam-questions/Edexcel/S1/questions-1.php

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on! :smile:

Hello! Thank you so much for taking your time to reply back to this thread and providing some useful websites!

I've found another website which may be useful to you as well, as you're also doing your exam:

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/gcse-statistics-revision-exam-questions-6401597

It has 4 revision packs on standard deviation and spearman's rank, probability, data collection and processing data (if you're also with Edexcel).

I found these really helpful and I just thought I'd share as you helped me out :smile:

I wish you good luck on your exam and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
Reply 4
Original post by Phantom reader
Yh I got the exact same marks in my coursework, we're in the same situation. I've looked at past grades and ums u would need approx 85 marks aim for 90 to be safe that's what I'm doing :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the information! I got 70 on my last mock without revising, so hopefully if I revise this time, I'll get round about 85-90.

Good luck on your exam! :biggrin:
My teacher never even told me what I got in my coursework :/
Reply 6
Hello! Thank you so much for taking your time to reply back to this thread and providing some useful websites!

I've found another website which may be useful to you as well, as you're also doing your exam:

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/gcse-statistics-revision-exam-questions-6401597

It has 4 revision packs on standard deviation and spearman's rank, probability, data collection and processing data (if you're also with Edexcel).

I found these really helpful and I just thought I'd share as you helped me out :smile:

I wish you good luck on your exam and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the rating :smile: much appreciated how did you find the exam? I thought it was easy compared to some of the past papers I have attempted!
Reply 7
Hiya! It was easy wasn't it! I only mucked up on geometric mean, comparitive pie chart and the chain index number so I reckon I didn't lose to many marks.
Reply 8
Original post by beccadf1
Thanks for the rating :smile: much appreciated how did you find the exam? I thought it was easy compared to some of the past papers I have attempted!

You're welcome! It was actually easier than I expected (most people in my year told me that this year's paper was going to be nasty..) I thought the 2014 paper was quite hard but luckily there were no questions on venn diagrams and not much on probability :proud:. I'm still nervous though, after the exam but, nonetheless it's over and done with! I'm glad you didn't find it too bad, I'm sure you did well! :h: I'm getting my result on the 20th August, I assume that's when you'll receive yours too?
Reply 9
Original post by student_2902
My teacher never even told me what I got in my coursework :/

Hmm...that's strange...maybe you'll get your overall grade once you get your results? Which exam board are you with and did you do the exam today?
Reply 10
Original post by Rourkey79
Hiya! It was easy wasn't it! I only mucked up on geometric mean, comparitive pie chart and the chain index number so I reckon I didn't lose to many marks.

Hello! Yes I did find it quite easy, but there weren't any geometric mean and comparative pie charts in my exam; by any chance, is your exam board AQA? Some of the topics that came up for me was cumulative frequency, probability, box plots etc. I got told today that I didn't have to know the geometric mean formula because Edexcel don't have questions on that topic? Glad to know you didn't lose many marks, no matter what, I'm sure you did well! :smile:
Reply 11
I found the test hard
Hello! Yes I did find it quite easy, but there weren't any geometric mean and comparative pie charts in my exam; by any chance, is your exam board AQA? Some of the topics that came up for me was cumulative frequency, probability, box plots etc. I got told today that I didn't have to know the geometric mean formula because Edexcel don't have questions on that topic? Glad to know you didn't lose many marks, no matter what, I'm sure you did well! :smile:

Cheers mate! Yeah AQA I done! Very wordy and quite easy to be honest just dropped a few of those 3/4 markers which cause the damage 😃
You're welcome! It was actually easier than I expected (most people in my year told me that this year's paper was going to be nasty..) I thought the 2014 paper was quite hard but luckily there were no questions on venn diagrams and not much on probability :proud:. I'm still nervous though, after the exam but, nonetheless it's over and done with! I'm glad you didn't find it too bad, I'm sure you did well! :h: I'm getting my result on the 20th August, I assume that's when you'll receive yours too?

That's good, I'm sure you did well too! I think that's when we get our results!
Reply 14
Anyone know or have the grade boundaries?
Reply 15
Original post by Jordanf
Anyone know or have the grade boundaries?

Think they're released the day before results day- but I'm not sure if only teachers can access them until we've got our results, but they're most likely made public 😊
i wrote some of my written answers in pencil will they mark that some one please help e what should i do
Original post by nik8754524
i wrote some of my written answers in pencil will they mark that some one please help e what should i do

You should be fine. It might be marked by hand though - but its good
Original post by fyrestrix
You should be fine. It might be marked by hand though - but its good

i hope so thank you xx
I got an A for coursework, want an A overall :smile: Don't know about you guys, but the exam seemed pretty easy. I do Sociology too so the samling questions were easy.

Quick Reply

Latest