The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessicadanby1996
yeah it was identifying the labelled nucleotides finishing off the last 7 for 2 marks

but there weren't any boxes or anything to fill in?
Original post by corey7695
but there weren't any boxes or anything to fill in?

there were 2 or 3 completed for you and then you had to draw them underneath, it was on the second page after a load of text so you must of missed it
Original post by jessicadanby1996
there were 2 or 3 completed for you and then you had to draw them underneath, it was on the second page after a load of text so you must of missed it

oh well, only 2 marks
Original post by AmySomers
Looking at that mark scheme I've only got between 30-40/100 at the most :/ I didnt finish the paper either as my mind went blank on two of the 1 mark questions (geographical isolation and genetic drift ones) and i stupidly sat there staring at it for like half an hour so i lost at least 30 marks with unanswered questions

Same, I was really intimidated by the questions :frown:
Original post by loperdoper
Jan 2013 grade boundaries were the highest they've ever been by the way. I'm aiming for full UMS and this normally comes in at 78-ish, but in Jan 2013 it was 89. I doubt they'll ever go that high again.

C grades normally come in at the low 50's.

In your honest opinion do you think this paper was easier or harder than jan 2013?
Original post by games211
In your honest opinion do you think this paper was easier or harder than jan 2013?

Harder, this paper had a lot more application of scenarios. Jan 2013 was also a shorter paper, it came it at about 19 pages of questions, so people had more chance to look over their answers.

The only paper I found harder than this year's was June 2012 (grade boundaries here), but that's mostly due to the 8-marker on biotech and the final question/two questions on sparrows and starfish.
Just looked at the unofficial mark scheme, correct me if im wrong but it states that the hand moving in front of the face is a reflex of the autonomic nervous system, (question involving the plant and the human) i thought that any movement of the striated muscles and impulses down the motor neurons were the somatic nervous system which is voluntary. The contraction of the pupil in the eye due to increased levels of light would be the autonomic, but the shutting of the eye lids and raising the hand is surely the somatic and a voluntary action?
Original post by games211

I would've bossed the 2013 paper. Actually had lots of content that was ON the syllabus! Found this paper crazy hard
Original post by chelseyrd01
Just looked at the unofficial mark scheme, correct me if im wrong but it states that the hand moving in front of the face is a reflex of the autonomic nervous system, (question involving the plant and the human) i thought that any movement of the striated muscles and impulses down the motor neurons were the somatic nervous system which is voluntary. The contraction of the pupil in the eye due to increased levels of light would be the autonomic, but the shutting of the eye lids and raising the hand is surely the somatic and a voluntary action?

Yeah it is. I went a bit further to say that it's detected by the peripheral nervous system and the sympathetic nervous system causes the eyes to dilate whilst the somatic nervous system causes the person to move their hand to block the light
looked at the ms and it feels like i said nothing thats on it..
Original post by corey7695
looked at the ms and it feels like i said nothing thats on it..

Where's the unofficial ms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4991
Original post by chelseyrd01

I agree to some extent, however I still think its a reflex to shield the eyes from damage. I don't know what the mark scheme will look like.
Original post by NilaJ
Ahh I'm doing 4a AQA, field work and data analysis. Hate it with a passion!

I'm doing this too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NilaJ
I agree to some extent, however I still think its a reflex to shield the eyes from damage. I don't know what the mark scheme will look like.

very true, one can only guess. Looks like i did well based on your handiwork, lets hope the exam board are as generous as you :smile:
Original post by loperdoper
Harder, this paper had a lot more application of scenarios. Jan 2013 was also a shorter paper, it came it at about 19 pages of questions, so people had more chance to look over their answers.

The only paper I found harder than this year's was June 2012 (grade boundaries here), but that's mostly due to the 8-marker on biotech and the final question/two questions on sparrows and starfish.

That is strange

June 2012 was 67 for an a! And you found that the hardest? :hmmm:

That means this years paper will be like 68/69 for an a :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bangla town
That is strange

June 2012 was 67 for an a! And you found that the hardest? :hmmm:

That means this years paper will be like 68/69 for an a :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

It won't be higher than 65 for an a

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain Anonymous
It won't be higher than 65 for an a

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope you're right

I think i got anything between high 60s to mid 70s

Need 127 in f215 for an a*. Really worked hard for it bro. Hope it pays off come august

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bangla town
I really hope you're right

I think i got anything between high 60s to mid 70s

Need 127 in f215 for an a*. Really worked hard for it bro. Hope it pays off come august

Posted from TSR Mobile

128 - you're looking at about 66

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain Anonymous
128 - you're looking at about 66

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's really hard to say

I think grade boundaries for a could be anything from 64-68

I did f215 last year and found it really hard, much harder than this year's paper, and A was 63

I can only see the boundaries increasing for this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending