The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adam harperRB
It has met some such as universal primary education almost at 96%
equality of gender also, although overall it hasnt met them, thats the reason for Vision 2030, they are on there way more than most to meeting them but none have truly been met

When was this education percentage taken? as in 2009 the percentage of primary education was 97.8%
Original post by kingledley
How would you go into any depth on this question?? I can only think of the big 'donate' button and the section that tells people what they do.

In item 5 you were asked to visit a number of websites. Evaluate the effectiveness of the Riders' website in gaining support for their cause. (8)

They have a brief and informative summary of their aims and goals, meaning everyone can understand
Visual image of work gives it a real world context
Shop creates increased revenue
They have an option to donate but dont overemphasise it
easily navigable
One error is that there is also a kenyan althletic cycling team called the kenyan riders which could cause confusion
They have information on how and where they work
Original post by jameswoodland
When was this education percentage taken? as in 2009 the percentage of primary education was 97.8%

i got that from a site by the EU comission and the figure is from 2011, but things like that really dont matter, a 2% difference is nothing, i always just put approx. before percentages
Original post by jameswoodland
quote from website suggesting otherwise: The entrepreneurial approach taken by Riders for Health means the organisation looks for its programmes to be self-sustaining through earning income, removing donor dependency. Andrea has also created an entrepreneurial approach to fundraising, with a commitment to earning as much of their fundraising income as possible.

Doesnt take away from the fact it is an NGO and also there is still a donation aspect to it as highlighted on its website by the large donate button. Its all just opinions on that sort of thing anyway, there are infinite possibilities and no arbitrary unit for if it is a charity or self sustained social enterpenural enterprise
Original post by har1996
Is Vision 2030 just mentioned briefly at the start of Chapter Two, or am I missing it somewhere else where they've told us to properly look at it haha?

can i ask what source are you looking at when you say chapter 2???
Original post by MedievalWitch
can i ask what source are you looking at when you say chapter 2???

Its the booklet referenced on the back of the AIB. It's all about how MDG 7, or the environment, is pivotal in achieving the other MDGs.
Any basic facts about Kenya to aid knowledge?

Anything about ASAL lands and climate change effect?

Would be a great help,

Doesnt take away from the fact it is an NGO and also there is still a donation aspect to it as highlighted on its website by the large donate button. Its all just opinions on that sort of thing anyway, there are infinite possibilities and no arbitrary unit for if it is a charity or self sustained social enterpenural enterprise

Yeah i understand what youre saying, thanks for the explaination
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cpilbeam
Its the booklet referenced on the back of the AIB. It's all about how MDG 7, or the environment, is pivotal in achieving the other MDGs.

okay ive got it thank you :smile:
Reply 629
I would love some help on the question,
Discuss the issues that the physical and social geography of Kenya present for healthcare provision?
You can be asked to evaluate the effectiveness of the websites in attracting donations.
Discuss the relationship between population density and density of poverty (8)
Discuss the relationship between relief, precipitation and cropland (8) help me plz =p
Original post by User567
Discuss the issues that the physical and social geography of Kenya present for healthcare provision?

Physical:

Rough Terrain
Lack of roads
Lack of Vehicles
Population centres are in mountainous regions
Many villages are isolated and unreachable
Advancing desert can make some settled villagers shift

Social:

Stigma against HIV/AIDS
Educating the people
Lack of trained staff as many doctors go to other countries
mention expat program
Lack of communication between central supply centre and individual centres
You could also comment on how this very high mortality rate is odd considering 92% of children get a medical visit before 5, maybe highlighting a lack of training and observation that the riders can provide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're just making stuff up, not sure whether to sabotage people or it was just a mistake. I've read the document you're referring to and it states thatt 92% of women receive some form of antenatal care, though usually only three times during the pregnancy. Perhaps you got the word antenatal and post natal confused
Reply 634
Physical:

Rough Terrain
Lack of roads
Lack of Vehicles
Population centres are in mountainous regions
Many villages are isolated and unreachable
Advancing desert can make some settled villagers shift

Social:

Stigma against HIV/AIDS
Educating the people
Lack of trained staff as many doctors go to other countries
mention expat program
Lack of communication between central supply centre and individual centres

Thank you so Much
Original post by Jessica Starfell
Discuss the relationship between population density and density of poverty (8)
Discuss the relationship between relief, precipitation and cropland (8) help me plz =p

1st question
More populated areas have denser amounts of poverty
this being due to poverty being density dependent
Where there is poverty there are the highest population density: expand by saying lack of free and in cities and overcrowding due to lack of affordable housing
Although high densities of poverty can exist in areas where overall population is low i.e. in the north in migrant camps
There is a positive correlation

2nd question
relief is the difference in the altitudes of certain areas
outline relief (orographic) rainfall, air rises over mountains cools and condenses and rain precipitates on opposite side of the mountain. High precipitation means increased possibility of crop plantation due to plants growing needing water, rain caused by relief, rain in mountain areas, crops in mountain areas due to rainfall as crops are dependent on it. Contrast cropland map to precipitation
In the context of development thats very broad but i guess you could say:

Allows for transport of health care supplies
Allows for transport of raw materials for building purposes
The technology must be appropriate technology and be able to be managed by the people using it
Must also be multi functional
Must be organised in a way that it is not taken advantage of or corrupted
It basically lays the foundation for a connected and efficient social and economic economy

Then alternatives can include how you need to build roads before transport as only small motorbikes can traverse the harsh rural environments thats why ambulances cant reach out skirting areas.
Could talk about the types of methods that transport is given i,e, should be given as develop mental aid along with education on upkeep, and also not given to officals and stamped as 'AID'.
Good transport allows for efficient emergency response

Transport also allows children to get to school, water to be collected quickly and efficiently therefore woman can get out of the household job routines and earn a living. It opens up many possiblities in terms of diversification of industry

thank you this really really helps! good luck x
Original post by User567

Physically - one third of Kenya lies 1000m above sea level, this means infrastructure is hard to build and costly, this is why only 14% of roads are paved, makes it hard for transport such as ambulances to travel long distances to rural communities

socially - 60 % of people live in these rural communities, with lack of infrastructure makes it hard to reach with healthcare provisions, however riders for health have compensated for this and invested in bikes and all terrain vehicles which can cope with the land surface
Original post by henrycg1
You're just making stuff up, not sure whether to sabotage people or it was just a mistake. I've read the document you're referring to and it states thatt 92% of women receive some form of antenatal care, though usually only three times during the pregnancy. Perhaps you got the word antenatal and post natal confused

A. I would never deliberately sabotage anyones a level chances, thats why i have been helping people on here since 11am
B. I am referring to the MDG success document drafted by the USGS and British charity society
C. And if it is an honest mistake then i apologise but to the best of my knowledge it is not
Thanks Adam for all the help today, ill keep the questions coming :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending