The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Do you think that we need to know about GIS???
Original post by MikeBird
I think there is a good chance of a question on Item 5 and possibly a comparison between the user friendliness off the riders site compared to the Unep and Wri sites.

Firstly the riders site is the most user friendly but you could also mention about the downtime today as a disadvantage of it, user friendly with celebrities and royals advertised as advocates for the charity as well as accessible options to donate, in contrast the Unep is a very poor site with a poor user interface and difficult to operate. In comparison, both sites are biased due to the Atlas report being produced by then Kenyan government and Riders trying to promote there website both leaving out the negative points.

Please give you're opinions.

Kenyan website is up to date, containing information about how many kms are covered this month as well as links to ebay auctions. Idea that although negative points are left out and interpreted as 'bias' this is needed in a way as otherwise it could discourage people donating which is essential for riders for health.
Original post by User567
Ahh okay cheers mate,I keep making questions harder than they are and over thinking! I keep doing that, Thanks for you help :smile: I really appriciate it

As suggested before on the thread, the exam is to test your geographical thinking this might include linking two bits of data but the analysis of what the question asks is the main thing the examiner is looking for, dont panic about overthinking just use common sense
Original post by henrycg1
No you said USGS and the British charity society

Which implies a collaboration between people, if you want me to put the references page here to where it references them i will, anyway i dont wish to continue this any further, as they say in kenya

siku Sikunjema!!
Reply 664
Has anyone been able to review the websites and sources in Item 5 I believe, I have been trying to do it by myself but I am not very good at being critical of things
Original post by User567
Has anyone been able to review the websites and sources in Item 5 I believe, I have been trying to do it by myself but I am not very good at being critical of things

I posted an answer to a question similar a couple pages back :smile:
http://www.internewskenya.org/dataportal/data/3

Found this article again showing the comparison between rural-urban doctor disparity as stated in Item 1
Reply 667
Original post by jameswoodland
As suggested before on the thread, the exam is to test your geographical thinking this might include linking two bits of data but the analysis of what the question asks is the main thing the examiner is looking for, dont panic about overthinking just use common sense

Yeahh that makes it sound a bit better :smile: I guess even if the question is difficult that comes up, i f i can show the examiner I have thought about it logically and used my geographical knowledge it should be alright
Original post by User567
Yeahh that makes it sound a bit better :smile: I guess even if the question is difficult that comes up, i f i can show the examiner I have thought about it logically and used my geographical knowledge it should be alright

Exactly!!
Original post by jameswoodland
Exactly!!

at the end of the day this exam is showing if you are thinking like a geographer not just someone who will read a book 1000 times over and throw the info onto a page and everyone here seems to be the thinker!
If a MDG question comes up which goals will you talk about?
Anyform form of prediction for the questions tomorrow??

Depends on the question but talk about all of them, probably focus more on 4,5 and 6 though since the booklet is primarily about the riders.

As in which one specifically, probably 7 as it allows you to comment on the fuelwood crisis, biodiversity, relief rainfall, energy mix, desertification and as there is no correct answer as it is subjective if they asked which was your most important id say that one
Reply 674
What equipment do we need for this exam tomorrow?
Original post by adam harperRB
As in which one specifically, probably 7 as it allows you to comment on the fuelwood crisis, biodiversity, relief rainfall, energy mix, desertification and as there is no correct answer as it is subjective if they asked which was your most important id say that one

I think you're forgetting the booklet focuses on health in kenya, definitely focus on 4,5 and 6

A think a MDG question like "Given the fact that Kenya is unlikely to meet the MDGs, which of the goals should Kenya prioritise and justify your decision.
Original post by JBDorward
Anyform form of prediction for the questions tomorrow??

I think there will be one about the maps, so maybe advantages/disadvantages of choropleth maps - what would be better etc.

Question about linking the maps together e.g. population / poverty location, precipitation / cropland location etc.

Possibly one about the website itself and what's good about it.

The MDGs, and how the Riders have helped achieved them in Kenya maybe.

And something to do with Kenya's environment as there has been large focus on it in Item 5 - I don't know if you watched the 'Kenya Atlas Video' but that has some great facts.

Also if you guys have Twitter look through the GEOG4B tag as there are lots of extra resources that people have found being posted there.
Original post by jmasterson11
I think you're forgetting the booklet focuses on health in kenya, definitely focus on 4,5 and 6

Yeah but you can also link that to health as it determines where people live etc and therefore population densities, 7 is just one i like as it encompasses a lot of issues
Original post by lemxn
What equipment do we need for this exam tomorrow?

Defo bring a calculator and other maths equipment just to cover yourself for everything e.g. proportional circles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending