The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilychapmanxx
Also I will be calling up my firm if I just missed the grades! They might have other courses they could offer. But you will need to be released by your insurance before you can do this as you will hold an offer elsewhere and this can take up to 14 days!

Ahh okay, thanks for your help! Tbh I'd rather do maths at sheffield than choose a different course at nottingham. So if I've missed the grades and they haven't accepted me, do you think it's still worth ringing up to try and get a place in maths? Or is there probs no point
If you missed the A in film and got a B they may still take you depending on numbers and how everyone else who applied did. For example if there are 60 places and 50 reach the offer they will look for the 10 with the closest grade requirements, however if 60 get the grades you may not get in. If you do get the A* you'd be in a really good position! Especially as that's in the subject you want to take so they are likely to take you even if you get the B in film (although they are not obliged to as technically it doesn't meet the offer) but good news, caps are off this year meaning they can let in as many students for each course as they like. I am counting on this anyway if I don't meet the requirements! :smile:

let's hope we are the lucky first caps off generation :biggrin:
The thing with the lack of caps is that this does offer unis more flexibility, but they still aren't going to let everything in. There are practical restrictions on course size, relating to things like number of teaching staff, size of teaching rooms and access to facilities available.

If a uni wanted to take 60 students, they might be able to squeeze in an extra one or two, but they won't suddenly be able to generate extra capacity to take 100 students.

The lack of student number controls doesn't absolutely guarantee a course will be more lenient, only that in some cases they have the capability to be more lenient.
Original post by jubilant_joej
Ahh okay, thanks for your help! Tbh I'd rather do maths at sheffield than choose a different course at nottingham. So if I've missed the grades and they haven't accepted me, do you think it's still worth ringing up to try and get a place in maths? Or is there probs no point

Worth a shot! Even if they say no at least you know you tried
Original post by jubilant_joej

What are you going to tell them that they won't already know?

If you're not giving them any new information, there's little point in ringing up, as the admissions tutors aren't likely to change their mind if they've already rejected you. They've had around a week to think about their decision already. In some cases, you may not be able to speak to a decision making member of staff if you've already been rejected.

That said, if you aren't going to ring anyone else for clearing purposes, all you have to lose is the cost of a phone call.
Also I will be calling up my firm if I just missed the grades! They might have other courses they could offer. But you will need to be released by your insurance before you can do this as you will hold an offer elsewhere and this can take up to 14 days!

Most unis will consider you for other courses while looking at your A-level grades, and contact you themselves if they have another course to offer. Unless you're ringing to ask about a completely different course, phoning up your firm is very likely to be a waste of time.
Reply 86
Is it better to tell your UCAS points first or to say what grades you got, for example you got 300 UCAS points with biology, a language, AS maths and psychology (examples) that's like C's right .... Any ideas on that so during clearing for instance you call up the uni they want 280 for a biology course and you have gained 300 points and also passed your biology alevel... If you get what I mean
Original post by Bybella
Is it better to tell your UCAS points first or to say what grades you got, for example you got 300 UCAS points with biology, a language, AS maths and psychology (examples) that's like C's right .... Any ideas on that so during clearing for instance you call up the uni they want 280 for a biology course and you have gained 300 points and also passed your biology alevel... If you get what I mean

They will ask you for the information they want.
"I'm interested in a Clearing place for Biology/whatever".
They will then tell you that either it isnt in Clearing or ask you questions about your grades etc.

Just answer the questions, stay calm and be polite. There are no 'trade secrets' that will magically get you a place.

Lots of info here about Clearing :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15485-introduction-to-clearing
Guide to Results Day : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15437-Guide-to-A-level-results-day
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
What are you going to tell them that they won't already know?

If you're not giving them any new information, there's little point in ringing up, as the admissions tutors aren't likely to change their mind if they've already rejected you. They've had around a week to think about their decision already. In some cases, you may not be able to speak to a decision making member of staff if you've already been rejected.

That said, if you aren't going to ring anyone else for clearing purposes, all you have to lose is the cost of a phone call.

Ye fair enough, cheers
My offer is for ABB and I think I've gotten A*AD or A*BD, do you think I could still get in with a D? o-o
Original post by infinitytheory
My offer is for ABB and I think I've gotten A*AD or A*BD, do you think I could still get in with a D? o-o

Depends if the D is in a critical subject. What uni is it?
Depends if the D is in a critical subject. What uni is it?

Computer science at Lancaster uni. I think i've got a D or by some miracle a C in maths, which is the critical subject but they told me ABB or equivalent so I don't have to get a B in maths right? ;-;
Original post by infinitytheory
Computer science at Lancaster uni. I think i've got a D or by some miracle a C in maths, which is the critical subject but they told me ABB or equivalent so I don't have to get a B in maths right? ;-;

I guess if they said "or equivalent" it means equivalent in points? So as long as you get 320 points you might be ok. Not 100% sure though! It also comes down to how other people did who applied
I guess if they said "or equivalent" it means equivalent in points? So as long as you get 320 points you might be ok. Not 100% sure though! It also comes down to how other people did who applied

I hope I get 320 points then xD thank you ^^

Is that the exact wording in your offer conditions on Track?
Reply 96
Pretty sure equivalent means points wise yeah

so BBB is same as ABC
If you aren't sure what it means, phone the Uni and ask.
You don't want to find out you were wrong on Results Day.
Original post by mck9777
Hiya, my course is asking BBB, i think i should get AAC, any ideas on my chances? :frown:

Should be :smile: as you have exceeded two of your entry requirements :smile: xxxx
Original post by Bunny2014
Should be as you have exceeded two of your entry requirements

You don't know this - just be careful about giving 'advice' that might be misleading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending