The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The July 1 & 2 Oxford Open Days are fast approaching!

Brasenose's JCR (Junior Common Room) have released a short film to give prospective visitors an idea of what these events are like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OywBq6CNDWw

There is also an associated website consisting of 100% student-generated content:

http://insidebrasenose.bnc.ox.ac.uk/
Original post by SLMS
Does anyone know what the rooms are like in Univ? Do you have to share a bathroom with other people? I won't be able to go to open day so any information on the living conditions in any of the colleges would be welcome :smile:

The rooms are generally very good sizes - everyone gets a sink and a fridge in their room.

Most people share bathrooms/showers between around 4 people. However there is a new building being finished by September which will have all ensuite rooms and kitchens on each floor.

If you have any other specific questions let me know :smile:
Original post by learner248
I have seen no one applying for Chinese/Oriental Studies, are there any orientalists out there? :smile:

I'm applying for Chinese:-)
Hey guys!I'am an Italian Oxford hopeful and my chosen course is Medicine.Is there anyone else considering it? :biggrin:
The educational assessment,here in Italy,is certainly different from yours in the UK.We have a grading scale going from 0 (lowest score) to 10 (highest score,as A*) in each subject so my current grades are : 10 (A*) Chemistry ; 10 (A*) Biology ; 9 (A) English Literature and 9 (A) Physics.
Predicted grades are : 10 (A*) Chemistry,10 (A*) Biology,10 (A*) English L. ; 9 (A) Physics
College: Corpus Christi,Christ Church or Magdalen
Reply 964
Hey guys, anyone for PPE?
Original post by googolplexity
I'm applying for Chinese:-)

Wow.... Do you have any Chinese heritage, or are you just amazing with languages?

What is the degree like - is it language and literature, or also culture, history, philosophy, art etc., as per a Classics degree?

Gez
Original post by Ibac

Yeeeah; I'm for Ppe. What other courses/unis are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibac

I've an offer for PPE if you want any advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I've written posts on Modern Languages at Oxford (course and interviews), and I was wondering if there were anything else anyone would want to read a post about. I'm finishing my third year at Magdalen and would love to hear what you guys want to know.

Chiara
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Wow.... Do you have any Chinese heritage, or are you just amazing with languages?

What is the degree like - is it language and literature, or also culture, history, philosophy, art etc., as per a Classics degree?

Gez

Haha neither! I don't come from a Chinese background (although I do have Taiwanese family) and my Mandarin is pretty basic (like GCSE level which I did this year). But you're not expected to have any knowledge of the language before you apply.

At Oxford, I've heard it's largely language and you study both Modern Mandarin and Classical Chinese, but it's also quite literature/culture/history based.
Original post by aasvogel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man. Whenever you are available, I've got a few questions: 1) Were you asked in the interview to solve any Economics math problems? Since I am an international and haven't studied any Economics at school, I will most likely be unable to solve them, if there are any. 2) Can you give a quick description of your interview if you can? It's a big request so if you can't, don't mind it 3) Lastly, which college did you pick? And why? Thanks in advance!!
Reply 971
Original post by ceco_moev
Yeeeah; I'm for Ppe. What other courses/unis are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I think I will apply for Oxford, Ucl and Warwick. Then I still have to decide. Lse is great but much difficult to get.
And what about you?
Ps what do you think about Edinburgh per EP? Is it as good as the other uni?
Reply 972
Original post by aasvogel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! Can I write you a pm?
Original post by Ibac
Thank you very much! Can I write you a pm?

Yeah go ahead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else wanting to apply for experimental psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be applying for PPL (Psychology and Linguistics) or Experimental Psychology. :smile:
Just found out yesterday that I very likely made the 7,6,6 required for IB admission.
Original post by such_a_lady
Hi everyone,

I've written posts on Modern Languages at Oxford (course and interviews), and I was wondering if there were anything else anyone would want to read a post about. I'm finishing my third year at Magdalen and would love to hear what you guys want to know.

Chiara

Hey!

I'm not sure what else I'd want to read about if I'm honest, but I just wanted to let you know that I read your blog post on Modern Language interviews amongst others and it was so helpful. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by Ibac
Hi! I think I will apply for Oxford, Ucl and Warwick. Then I still have to decide. Lse is great but much difficult to get.
And what about you?
Ps what do you think about Edinburgh per EP? Is it as good as the other uni?

Hi,
So a friend of my brother works in LSE and I will talk to her whether the course is worth it. My brother is sceptical about me applying to LSE though so I may not try my luck there. I will certainly go for King's, Oxford, UCL and possibly Warwick. Edinburgh does not sound bad but I would like to study all theree components of the course so probably will have to find another course. I am an international though so can't really tell about the atmosphere :biggrin: Where does your main interest lay in? I mean in which subject (s)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 978
Original post by ceco_moev
Hi,
So a friend of my brother works in LSE and I will talk to her whether the course is worth it. My brother is sceptical about me applying to LSE though so I may not try my luck there. I will certainly go for King's, Oxford, UCL and possibly Warwick. Edinburgh does not sound bad but I would like to study all theree components of the course so probably will have to find another course. I am an international though so can't really tell about the atmosphere :biggrin: Where does your main interest lay in? I mean in which subject (s)?

Thank you! Lse is tough and I don't want to loose an offer. King's is interesting but even the course at Durham.
Actually I like all of them but If I have to drop one subject in the second year I will go for philosophy.What about you? Do you have some ideas about your future career?
Ps i am international too
Original post by Ibac
Thank you! Lse is tough and I don't want to loose an offer. King's is interesting but even the course at Durham.
Actually I like all of them but If I have to drop one subject in the second year I will go for philosophy.What about you? Do you have some ideas about your future career?
Ps i am international too

Haven't looked much at Durham. Edinburgh sounds okey although they don't have exactly the PPE course. I like Politics most of all and equally the other two. The modules are awesome in most places. Woow another international - I'm no longer unique :biggrin: Where are u from? Well, I haven't studied Economics in depth - only come around some of its topics ocassionally. However, now I read a book of Yannis Varoufakis. I will probably drop Economics, if I have to, even though it really depends on whether I will enjoy the Philosophy part. I have no specific plan for the future. You?

Latest

Trending

Trending