The Student Room Group

Is there a worse country than Chad?

Can't imagine anybody would want to visit?
Reply 1
i don't know but i'm going to become a hermit in the desert so i can run away from women
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Can't imagine anybody would want to visit that Saharan dump.

Somalia is certainly a contender, but I think the title of 'World's worst country' goes to North Korea.

Nowhere else on Earth will you find a nation lead by a despotic toolbag (his porcine majesty Kim Jong-Un) who's sole aim is to uphold his blood-bound hierarchy by purposely keeping his citizens in a state of terror.

Nowhere else on Earth will you find such violent hatred towards South Korea, the US, Japan & any other country that isn't either North Korea or China. The sheer amount of vitriolic propaganda spewed by the regime is staggering.

Words cannot describe how terrible the lives of ordinary North Korean citizens must be - forced to live in a despotic dictatorship that outlaws any freedoms of speech, religion, expression or even freedom of movement, whilst under constant surveillance from the authorities:

Say one bad thing about the regime in North Korea and its off to the concentration camps with you...
Sahara's quite beautiful actually
Reply 4
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Can't imagine anybody would want to visit that Saharan dump.

try Greece at the moment
Original post by KommunistCake

tbh you don't know what it's like living in North Korea, the North Korean people could be blissfully unaware of how unlucky they are and therefore be happy
Original post by Necrofantasia
tbh you don't know what it's like living in North Korea, the North Korean people could be blissfully unaware of how unlucky they are and therefore be happy

who wouldn't be happy to have won the last three world cups?
Original post by Necrofantasia

One way of finding out how life in the DPRK is so crap is to watch Vice News' 3 part series on North Korea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24R8JObNNQ4
Yes, there are 3, according to the Human Development Index:

Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Niger

However, it is worth noting that there are 8 UN member states which are not included in the HDI due to lack of information, 3 of which I would consider possible candidates for being 'worse than Chad':

North Korea
Somalia
South Sudan

So, there are between 3 and 6 countries in the world that are worse than Chad.
Although you would be right in saying that Chad is one of the worst.

Source: http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/hdr14_statisticaltables.xls
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TimGB
Yes, there are 3, according to the Human Development Index:

Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Niger

However, it is worth noting that there are 8 UN member states which are not included in the HDI due to lack of information, 3 of which I would consider possible candidates for being 'worse than Chad':

North Korea
Somalia
South Sudan

So, there are between 3 and 6 countries in the world that are worse than Chad.
Although you would be right in saying that Chad is one of the worst.

Source: http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/hdr14_statisticaltables.xls

Don't forget Syria, if the torture images that were released are true they (the government areas) are living among actual Nazis
Original post by KommunistCake
Somalia is certainly a contender, but I think the title of 'World's worst country' goes to North Korea.

Nowhere else on Earth will you find a nation lead by a despotic toolbag (his porcine majesty Kim Jong-Un) who's sole aim is to uphold his blood-bound hierarchy by purposely keeping his citizens in a state of terror.

Nowhere else on Earth will you find such violent hatred towards South Korea, the US, Japan & any other country that isn't either North Korea or China. The sheer amount of vitriolic propaganda spewed by the regime is staggering.

Words cannot describe how terrible the lives of ordinary North Korean citizens must be - forced to live in a despotic dictatorship that outlaws any freedoms of speech, religion, expression or even freedom of movement, whilst under constant surveillance from the authorities:

Say one bad thing about the regime in North Korea and its off to the concentration camps with you...

their camps make Auschwitz look like Center Parcs.
The USA
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
The USA

you're funny
Reply 13
There are worse countries than Chad to visit.
I think Syria would probably be worse.
Original post by Bubzeh
There are worse countries than Chad to visit.

So elaborate Bruv!
Original post by whorace
Don't forget Syria, if the torture images that were released are true they (the government areas) are living among actual Nazis

There are many countries in the world where awful things are done by those with power (Syria, Sudan, Eritrea etc.) but I was just looking at the statistics. Syria does rank rather low in the development index, but in the context of this question, statistically Chad is worse than Syria. However, you would be right in a human rights sense. Syria has the worst human rights risk in the world, while Chad doesn't even make it to the top ten. It's just that, considering other factors such as GDP per capita, life expectancy and years of education, Chad ends up worse off than Syria.

Human rights bottom 10: http://reliefweb.int/map/world/world-human-rights-risk-index-2014
Reply 17
Congo.
Somalia.
Syria.

I'd say off the top of my head but then I've not lived in them.

Quick Reply

Latest