The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Does anyone actually take note of ESPN coverage? They seem to spout controversy in order to make a splash. Some oaf said the Jags had the worst roster in the NFL today. Who actually has the worst roster? I'd argue that the Jags certainly don't belong in that spot.
Reply 961
Go Saints.
Original post by Wattsy
I was a rookie last year and came 1st and 2nd in my 2 leagues. If you know about players you can surprise yourself.

I don't know the players that well though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 963
Original post by Motorbiker
I don't know the players that well though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try and get hold of a draft board then?

Mine looked like that on draft day. Each highlight colour meant something different.
Well apparently Brady will take the NFL to court if hes not fully exonerated .
What if I told you American Football isn't a proper sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malevolent
Well apparently Brady will take the NFL to court if hes not fully exonerated .

I'm leaning towards thinking he'll win at this point. By refusing to recuse himself from the appeal, Goodell has basically said to the NFLPA "if you don't get it in writing, I'm not doing it." The thing is, that's exactly the reason the NFLPA advised Brady not to share his phone records. One rule for them one rule for us will work out in the NFL's favour in its own arbitration process, but it won't (or at least shouldn't) in a court of law. So the ban for non-cooperation doesn't make sense to me. Then it's a question of the Wells report holding up in spite of fairly scant evidence.
Original post by LetMeGoUni
What if I told you American Football isn't a proper sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then I would say that you are entitled to your opinion, but I would say it's completely wrong. It's so multi-faceted as a sport.
Original post by jammy4041
Then I would say that you are entitled to your opinion, but I would say it's completely wrong. It's so multi-faceted as a sport.

You can be overweight and be a sportsman. Any sport that allows that to happen isn't a proper sport, its just a joke.
Also the fact that they have about 10 seconds of action, then an ad break, its laughable.
Original post by Wattsy
Does anyone actually take note of ESPN coverage? They seem to spout controversy in order to make a splash. Some oaf said the Jags had the worst roster in the NFL today. Who actually has the worst roster? I'd argue that the Jags certainly don't belong in that spot.

Let me take this from a slightly different viewpoint. I like Elway's school of thought that a good roster begins with QB, LT, EDGE, WR and CB. You could even make a case that the Broncos have two top-ten talents at EDGE, WR and CB.

Yes, there are holes in the Broncos roster, and it will be difficult to keep in tact beyond 2015, but it's a roster built for the future as well. People are quick to point out the flaws in the o-line, but they could trot out a line of Chris Clark-Ben Garland-Matt Paradis-Louis Vasquez-Ryan Harris, with two solid and proven bookends, a proven stud at RG, and two guys who have had some seasoning in a NFL program. They'd still be two deep at each o-line spot, with Shelley Smith, Max Garcia and Gino Gradkowski occupying the interior positions. Defensive line is two deep. All the linebackers are three deep. Sure, the o-line and the linebacker talent isn't the best, but there will be some fierce competition. Shoot, there's going to be a brrutal punting and kicking competition, between Schmitz and Colquitt, and Barth, McManus and Schmitz. WR is deep, as is TE, as is FB and RB. That's a well built roster.

And it speaks volumes that Tony Carter is now the team's sixth cornerback. In 2012, he was essentially the starting nickel back, putting in some good perfomances. I still stand by my statement that he'd be starting, or at least as the nickel back, for a team like Jags, or the Browns. He's better than Buster Skrine, for sure.

Now, when healthy, the Broncos for instance, have a top 5 QB, EDGE, WR and CB. Unquestionably. Clady should have turned out to be a top 5 position pick at LT, but then he got that Lisfranc and hasn't been the same since. That's a roster. Moreover, the Cowboys have good roster at QB, EDGE, WR, CB and LT, as do the Packers, Seahawks and Colts. Patriots do have a great roster, and that's why they're superbowl champions, so even though CB is a bit of a question, they are in the convo. Heck, you can book the Vikings in the conversation too. They are doing some good things in the Twin Cities.

In terms of the worst rosters, you could make a good case for the Redskins and the Titans. Yes, the Redskins have a decent WR corps, and two capable EDGE rushers, but the secondary was abysmal, QB is up in the air, and the o-line play was awful. Titans, while I'm sure Mariota will be fine in the NFL, have a below average WR corps (though we shall now see, with Mariota as the QB), an over-the-hill EDGE rusher, and some no-name CBs. At least the Jags have some semblence of a defense, with an elite MLB, EDGE rushers. QB, WR and CB are a bit of a question mark, but at least there have been steps to address it, and you can see an upward direction. I can't say the same for the Redskins and the Titans.

Why am I not saying the Raiders? They'll go 7-9 this year, and surprise a lot of people. There's a lot of talent at in that roster. Carr is a stud. The EDGE play is a bit sloppy, but Mack is a stud, and a legitimate franchise DE. Donald Penn is still above average for a LT, while the line play wasn't exactly horrible last season, either. Amari Cooper is a bluechip WR, and gives a bit more quality in the lineup. CB is questionable, but they have one of the league's best safeties -- still -- in Charles Woodson.

Bucs should at least get to 8-8 with the quality on their roster too. I'd be shocked if they were picking in the top half of the draft again, in 2016.
You can be overweight and be a sportsman. Any sport that allows that to happen isn't a proper sport, its just a joke.
Also the fact that they have about 10 seconds of action, then an ad break, its laughable.

Whatever, I'm not going to get through to you.

But, for what it's worth...

Even a tiny school like Idaho State, still had a 320lbs guard/center prospect, who runs a 4.9s 40 yard dash. Each player is on a regimented diet. I know for a fact, that even the offensive line, were in the gym every freaking day for 2 hours, waking up at 5am to fit it all in before school. One can only imagine what the powerhouses of College Football, the Alabamas, the Florida States, the Ohio States of the world, do for their players. In the NFL, it's entirely devoted to weight work, film work, practises and getting ready for games.

Those who make it to the NFL, are the best athletes in the world. Even the offensive linemen, are most certainly not, just simply 'fat.' I'd argue that this hasn't been the case since the Sixties, as well. Sports nutrition is more crucial to the NFL than any other sport. Heck, take the invention of Gatorade, and the required understanding of what electrolytes do, to combat dehydration -- standard in any sport now, but developed, tested and proved in American Football games.

Even on Idaho State's o-line, most of our 300+ linemen had less than 25% body fat, and all should be under 20% body fat. Idaho State, a small college. When they get to the NFL, it is expected that even linemen should have body fat percentages of around 15% by the end of their rookie season. The weight and fitness program is second to none.

What of the TEs, who are 260-270lbs, 6ft 4 to 6ft 7 on average, who run anything from a 4.5-4.8s 40 yard dash? What of Calvin Johnson, a 6ft 5, 230lbs WR, who runs a 4.4 flat 40 yard dash, and has vertical jump of 42.5 inches?

What of JJ Watt? The League's best player, and a sure-fire hall of fame DE candidate in just his fourth NFL season? He box jump 60 inches. Runs a 4.8 40 yard dash. He has a 6.88 3-cone drill, which is better than most WRs, for crying out loud. But it gets better! He Broad Jumps 10ft, has a 37 vertical -- again, better than a lot of WRs and DBs, he Benches 34 reps of 100kg, (not easy, considering his 34" arms)...and he does this standing at 6ft 5 and weighing, 290lbs. That's just a few examples of the freaky athleticism that is apparent in the NFL. And yes, his body fat percentage is under 10%.

How's that all of a joke?
The Titans roster seems pretty bad to be honest. I'm not expecting Washington's OL play to be bad this year with Trent Williams and Scherff bookending (NFL half slide protections work similar to coverages in a way, so the ability to leave Williams on an island should help Scherff) but their defense isn't very good and obviously the biggest question is at QB. I wouldn't call the Pats' roster great currently. In Wilfork and Revis they lost probably their 2nd and 4th best players, and their 1st and 2nd best defenders. Brown doesn't replace Wilfork, and rather than replacing Revis they also lost Browner. Saying CB is "a bit of a question" in New England is like saying the Iraq-Syria situation is "a bit of fisticuffs." Any other team with that CB situation would be up **** creek, but NE are the ultimate benefit of the doubt team because of Brady, BB and their offense.

I'm not remotely convinced about the Raiders either. The thing with Derek Carr is that he's a very conservative decision maker and I'm not sure he improves as fast as people think he will. Teams seem to find it easier to take a naturally over-aggressive QB (P Manning, Luck, Tannehill, Big Ben) and rein him in a bit than they do to get someone like Carr to cut loose and make the throws he will eventually need to to win NFL games.

People are extremely low on the Bears this year but I think that might be partly because of an overreaction to how disappointing they were compared to last season's expectations. Also the 49ers now have a pretty weak roster especially if you don't consider their QB to be very good, and that guy will be getting a new coach this year.

Also Buffalo have a pretty good roster all around, but so did the 2012 Chiefs and Matt Cassel still lead them to a #1 overall pick, so that's worth thinking about.
I look forward to watching Goodell get absolutely torn apart :lol:
Reply 973
Original post by jammy4041
x

Great effort with that guy! 2nd most annoying to the 'why is it called football?' people
Original post by Wattsy
Great effort with that guy! 2nd most annoying to the 'why is it called football?' people

To be fair, JJ Watt did most of the talking.

JJ-watt-workout-nfl.jpg

Not going to lie, if it meant trading von Miller and Demaryius Thomas for a chance to get JJ Watt...so be it.

I'd be over the moon, if somehow he became a Bronco. JJ Watt is the best player in the NFL right now, and has been for three seasons now. He is on a completely different level, and yet, while he is a gym rat and football robot mostly, he's a character-guy in the locker room. Some of his quotes are really motivational, too.

Shoot, Arnie just turned around and said he wanted JJ Watt to be the next Terminator. I really believe he'll finish his career as the best DE to ever play.
Reply 975
Hahaha JJ Watt is THE man. I'm supposed to dislike him from a Jags perspective but I just can't bring myself to do it. He's amazing, though, it must be said infinitely less likeable is the prospect of him bearing down on Blake Bortles twice a year.
Something about Watt that you just cannot dislike. He really is THE MAN. So far and away the best defensive player in the NFL.

If you don't like American Football, what the **** are you doing commenting on an American Football thread. Get a life, mate...
"The disparity between today’s rapid-fire disagreement with Schefter’s procedural nuance and January’s silence in response to Mortensen’s critical factual assertion is stunning. And it lends credence to the belief that the NFL deliberately leaked false information in order to pin the Patriots against ropes that simply weren’t there.

If Aiello or anyone else from the NFL had responded swiftly to Mortensen’s erroneous report with the true numbers, which were measured by two significantly conflicting pressure gauges, the Patriots would have been able to shout down the readings by explaining the application of the Ideal Gas Law, the mainstream news media never would have paid serious attention to the situation, and Ted Wells never would have been called in to conduct an investigation that by all appearances was aimed at reaching a predetermined result.

The failure to rebut Mortensen’s report therefore bolsters the idea the entire episode was indeed orchestrated to catch the Patriots doing something, even if it’s still not clear what they did."

Taken from Mike Florios article about Deflategate. The more I see the more and more I think the NFL has ****ed up.
I can't believe the guy who did Jaxon de Ville retired. I have to admit, he's the best mascot in the NFL. Hands Down.
This post from The Draw Play is so apt.

Quick Reply

Latest