The Student Room Group

Honesty can you help me with my life?

Ok, originally way back when I wanted to be a teacher but my mum said scratch that be a dentist as they earn more mula- dreams crushed. Then I realised dentistry is seriously long and extremely gross, which is not my style. Anyway one day I was watching a film (i cant remember what) and there was a scene with investment banks in flash suits and I though I wanna be that! I missed four months of school- exclusion so I'm catching up (yr 10)
do you think if I try I could be an IB (I wanna go LSE with a passion!!!)

Im currently at GCSE, my recent grades are:

French: A* work but "not enough written" so no grade
English: A, predicted A*
Maths: C (no revision at all) predicted B.
History: B (could not finish 12 mark had literally no time) predicted A*
Physics: U (no revision but last year got a B) predicted) A
Biology: A predicted A-
Chemistry: C (literally no revision) predicted A
Art: U (missed 4 months) predicted A
RE: B predicted A

My Uncle got similar grades to me and literally worked sooooo hard and got into LSE but it's different times now and I don't actually know if I can achieve the A* Maths A Further Maths that are required at A-Level, help please?

I'm not to stressed about my GCSE's as I'm a A grade student but I don't revise at all and I just do so bad with timing and wording it's unbelievable, but starting Sept Im going to be working notoriously.
I think literally all you need is a bit more direction in your education. Try to revise all the specification points by making concise notes on each topic then practice answering exam questions in timed conditions. Foolproof method, works every time.
Original post by docmartensgirl
Ok, originally way back when I wanted to be a teacher but my mum said scratch that be a dentist as they earn more mula- dreams crushed. Then I realised dentistry is seriously long and extremely gross, which is not my style. Anyway one day I was watching a film (i cant remember what) and there was a scene with investment banks in flash suits and I though I wanna be that! I missed four months of school- exclusion so I'm catching up (yr 10)<br />
do you think if I try I could be an IB (I wanna go LSE with a passion!!!)<br />
<br />
Im currently at GCSE, my recent grades are:<br />
<br />
French: A* work but &quot;not enough written&quot; so no grade <br />
English: A, predicted A*<br />
Maths: C (no revision at all) predicted B.<br />
History: B (could not finish 12 mark had literally no time) predicted A*<br />
Physics: U (no revision but last year got a B) predicted) A<br />
Biology: A predicted A-<br />
Chemistry: C (literally no revision) predicted A<br />
Art: U (missed 4 months) predicted A<br />
RE: B predicted A<br />
<br />
My Uncle got similar grades to me and literally worked sooooo hard and got into LSE but it's different times now and I don't actually know if I can achieve the A* Maths A Further Maths that are required at A-Level, help please?<br />
<br />
I'm not to stressed about my GCSE's as I'm a A grade student but I don't revise at all and I just do so bad with timing and wording it's unbelievable, but starting Sept Im going to be working notoriously.

Investment banking isn't like in the films you know.

You're only in gcse, you don't need to make these decisions now. Ionly made my choice of what I wanted to study at the end of year 12 in the summer after the ucas fair. Originally I wanted to do maths but further maths completely killed my passion for it and goes to show how opinions can change easily.

You have time and this isn't worth stressing about now.maybe do more research this summer, see how your a levels at the end of year 12and then see where you want to go from then on.

Stressing about it now is like stressing over gcses when you're in year 8
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Investment banking isn't like in the films you know.

You're only in gcse, you don't need to make these decisions now. Ionly made my choice of what I wanted to study at the end of year 12 in the summer after the ucas fair. Originally I wanted to do maths but further maths completely killed my passion for it and goes to show how opinions can change easily.

You have time and this isn't worth stressing about now.maybe do more research this summer, see how your a levels at the end of year 12and then see where you want to go from then on.

Stressing about it now is like stressing over gcses when you're in year 8

I know but I have to pick my a levels and I'm so lost, I don't wanna pick any a levels that won't be able to get me a degree that can do a job I want to pursue but I also don't wanna do any a levels that I'll fail
Original post by liverpool786110
I think literally all you need is a bit more direction in your education. Try to revise all the specification points by making concise notes on each topic then practice answering exam questions in timed conditions. Foolproof method, works every time.

I'll try but I'm really easily distracted but thanks
x

I'm a current Summer Analyst at a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank and have done several placements at top banks before.

The universities you want to be aiming for to enter this profession (coming from my experience of employees here and other top banks):

Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial

Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Cass, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Edinburgh, King's

Top academics is almost a given in this profession. GCSEs matter more to getting into the above universities than the actual profession. With regards to Academic requirement, banks generally require AAB+ at A levels and a predicted 2:1. That being said, academics play a very small part in the application process.

People have many misconceptions about what bankers actually do, so if you have any questions, ask away or PM me, I'd be happy to advise.
(edited 8 years ago)
I know but I have to pick my a levels and I'm so lost, I don't wanna pick any a levels that won't be able to get me a degree that can do a job I want to pursue but I also don't wanna do any a levels that I'll fail

Put it this way, you're better off having 3 As in media studies, business studies and economics than 3 Bs in maths, physics and chemistry if you want to do investment banking.

Sure, they might see the latter subjects more favourably but if you want to go to LSE, you need the grades first and foremost. Focus on what you're good at as the last thing you want is to do a levels you hate and won't do as well in just because they're seen more highly to *some*

Don't think about jobs now - choosing the right a-levels is much more important at this point in time. If you're looking to go on a highly ranked university course, your best choices are to a) pick at least 3 'facilitating' subjects, as defined by the Russell group, and b) pick ones you enjoy. There is very little point in doing an a-level that you are going to find uninteresting, as your morale will likely affect your final grade. If your preferred job requires doing subjects that you don't like, then it probably isn't the right job for you. Similarly with universities - do a course which you find interesting, as there will likely be jobs for people who do whatever course.

Also, if you're an A grade student and you're NOT revising, then you are missing out on a lot of potential paths that many people could only dream of. Being smart is not an excuse to do less work, rather it is an opportunity to go even further in life than the average person.
Reply 8
Ok, originally way back when I wanted to be a teacher but my mum said scratch that be a dentist as they earn more mula- dreams crushed. Then I realised dentistry is seriously long and extremely gross, which is not my style. Anyway one day I was watching a film (i cant remember what) and there was a scene with investment banks in flash suits and I though I wanna be that! I missed four months of school- exclusion so I'm catching up (yr 10)
do you think if I try I could be an IB (I wanna go LSE with a passion!!!)

Im currently at GCSE, my recent grades are:

French: A* work but "not enough written" so no grade
English: A, predicted A*
Maths: C (no revision at all) predicted B.
History: B (could not finish 12 mark had literally no time) predicted A*
Physics: U (no revision but last year got a B) predicted) A
Biology: A predicted A-
Chemistry: C (literally no revision) predicted A
Art: U (missed 4 months) predicted A
RE: B predicted A

My Uncle got similar grades to me and literally worked sooooo hard and got into LSE but it's different times now and I don't actually know if I can achieve the A* Maths A Further Maths that are required at A-Level, help please?

You have to think if IB is right for you? - Lots of money but then again 80-100 hour weeks, constant glaring at spreadsheets and very little job security. Also, if you watched the Wolf of Wall Street that is about stock broking not investment banking + it isn't really a true portrayal of work in finance - Jordan Belfort doesn't represent the 1000s of others working on Wall Street, Canary Wharf etc.

You ought to get your Maths grade up. Keep on working and you'll do fine - just study and don't be lazy - you're practically wasting talent if you do no work.
Original post by FTSE420
You have to think if IB is right for you? - Lots of money but then again 80-100 hour weeks, constant glaring at spreadsheets and very little job security. Also, if you watched the Wolf of Wall Street that is about stock broking not investment banking + it isn't really a true portrayal of work in finance - Jordan Belfort doesn't represent the 1000s of others working on Wall Street, Canary Wharf etc.

You ought to get your Maths grade up. Keep on working and you'll do fine - just study and don't be lazy - you're practically wasting talent if you do no work.

I second this.

Firstly, you need to know that per hour, most investment banking analysts (the post that you will take when you start investment banking) earn less per hour than a job in McDonald's. So don't go in it for the money initially. Once you work your way up the investment banking ladder, then you can start to earn big bucks.

Banking, as mentioned by FTSE420, is a profession with the longest hours out of all. The movie portrayal of it is entirely wrong. Yes, they wear swanky suits, but that is about as true as the movies get about investment banking.

Contrary to everyone's thinking, you do not need maths to be a investment banker. However, you will need a very high grade in maths to get into LSE.

And, the bottom line is, frankly, it doesn't matter how intelligent or talented or bright you are: if you want to go to LSE, you WILL have to work very very hard as LSE is one of the most selective universities in the world. You cannot afford to be lazy, if you really want to go to LSE.

All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest