The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just take it off
Liberate yourself.
Tbh you shouldn't wear it that young unless you've been to meccah innit
Reply 4
Keep wearing it. Unfortunately you are still a child and so should follow you parent's wishes.. no matter how misguided they may be.

Soon as you hit 18, disown the hell out of them and do whatever you want :biggrin:
Original post by heyitscraziix
Ivee been wearing it since 3 years and im in year 10 and i really want to take it off because i cant be bothered but im scared of the reactions of my parents school ppl i was always shouted at and made to wear one.

If your parents are crazy don't do anything like that, you don't want to end up getting hurt (psychologically and physically) in the end. Just tolerate it for now, until you go to uni. However, if you think the worst reaction they could have is just disappointment and a bit of yelling, then I guess you can do it; that is if it's okay with you that they become disappointed.
Original post by Valyrian
Tbh you shouldn't wear it that young unless you've been to meccah innit

I have been mecca when i was 7 but i started 2 years later

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell your parents it's not really compulsory and there are loads of Muslim girls that don't wear it, and that you might decide to wear it again when you're an adult.
Original post by Reue
Keep wearing it. Unfortunately you are still a child and so should follow you parent's wishes.. no matter how misguided they may be.

Soon as you hit 18, disown the hell out of them and do whatever you want :biggrin:

That is ridiculous, you are entitled to be your own person before the ages of 18.. being a passive servant to your parents is not healthy.

OP should either just wear it infront of her parents and take it off at other times or tell them straight.
Reply 9
Original post by AverageExcellence
OP should either just wear it infront of her parents and take it off at other times or tell them straight.

I suspect that 'tell them straight' will not have the desired result.

Wearing it infront of them and then taking it off is a viable option assuming no-one is likely to rat to the parents.
If you want a burger, eat a burger. If you want a french fry.....
You should explain to them how you feel because it's about the intention and there's no point wearing hijab if you don't feel like wearing it. The hijab should be worn with intention to please God not because you're scared of your parents.
I'm in year 11 and I still don't wear hijab because I don't emotionally feel ready to go through it even though I've been going to a Muslim school since I was 5 and hijab part of school uniform since year 6.
Now finally I'm going to a mixed non islamic school but I don't want to feel pressured into wearing hijab and I won't wear it till I personally feel ready. In my heart, I know it is compulsory but I want to wear it to please God not because someone is forcing me to or telling me I have to wear it.

I advise you tell your parents exactly how you feel and try and make them understand, explain to them you want to have the correct intention and at the moment you feel uncomfortable wearing the hijab, you're parents will be sure to listen to you.
Also highlight that you didn't want to be forced into wearing it and you don't want to make them angry, but genuinely tell them how you feel,
Original post by Ravenous
Tell your parents it's not really compulsory and there are loads of Muslim girls that don't wear it, and that you might decide to wear it again when you're an adult.

It is actually compulsory to wear the hijab in Islam. And saying there are "loads of Muslim girls that don't wear it" is like saying loads of people steal and I will stop stealing when I get older.
You might say oh but stealing is against the law but so is not wearing the hijab is going the against the laws of Islam.
Original post by Crepsley8
You should explain to them how you feel because it's about the intention and there's no point wearing hijab if you don't feel like wearing it. The hijab should be worn with intention to please God not because you're scared of your parents.
I'm in year 11 and I still don't wear hijab because I don't emotionally feel ready to go through it even though I've been going to a Muslim school since I was 5 and hijab part of school uniform since year 6.
Now finally I'm going to a mixed non islamic school but I don't want to feel pressured into wearing hijab and I won't wear it till I personally feel ready. In my heart, I know it is compulsory but I want to wear it to please God not because someone is forcing me to or telling me I have to wear it.

I advise you tell your parents exactly how you feel and try and make them understand, explain to them you want to have the correct intention and at the moment you feel uncomfortable wearing the hijab, you're parents will be sure to listen to you.
Also highlight that you didn't want to be forced into wearing it and you don't want to make them angry, but genuinely tell them how you feel,

But what if die today and in judgment when Allah questions you will your answer be "oh I didn't feel emotionally ready" would that be an acceptable answer. I know you might not feel ready to wear it. But wear it because you want Jannah and in turn the need to please Allah will come. Because wearing for a better Akhira is also good enough intention it means you want to go Jannah and that makes Allah happy!!
Just wear it, what u playin at???? :s-smilie:
I've been wearing it since I was in year 2/3 and I love it. It's your religion!!!
Original post by Reue

What? According to whom? Being under 18 doesn't mean you have to follow every word your parents say. Children have some degree of autonomy.
Reply 16
Original post by Wahid-r
What? According to whom? Being under 18 doesn't mean you have to follow every word your parents say. Children have some degree of autonomy.

According to the common sense that her parents could make things far more uncomfortable than wearing a hijab.

Please dont attempt to misinterpret my response as a justification for their control.

Children do have some degree of autonomy, however in a majority of cases; where this autonomy clashes with the parent's wishes... it is the child who comes of worse.
Original post by Reue
According to the common sense that her parents could make things far more uncomfortable than wearing a hijab.

Please dont attempt to misinterpret my response as a justification for their control.

Children do have some degree of autonomy, however in a majority of cases; where this autonomy clashes with the parent's wishes... it is the child who comes of worse.

Fair enough, I took the wrong meaning from your post. My apologies.
Reply 18
I'd rather have my daughter not wear the Hijab than wear it and misrepresent Islam because she disagrees with its teachings if I'm honest. Not saying that you will misrepresent Islam, but that's just a personal opinion. Obviously you'd need to confront your parents before you do anything so maybe you could start be asking them why you are wearing the Hijab. If you are desperate to take it off, then I'm almost sure it's because you haven't learnt enough about it. If you're truly passionate about your religion, then don't be hasty with your decision. I know some people who took off their Hijab and have regretted it!

I actually love wearing the Hijab, when I wore it I was the only person in the school wearing the Hijab and I went through a lot of trouble but now I'm really happy with myself and proud that I put up with that!

The only con about the Hijab for me is that I can't seem to fit all of my headscarves into my drawer. :colondollar:

That being said, I'm not putting down non-Hijabis. I know that non-hijabs can be much better Muslims than the Hijabis.
Original post by Abdoulaye2chingy
**** u mean just take it off ur head silly

I think you replied too early to this thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending