The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
factor formulae again but this time
sinA + sinB = ...
cosA + cosB = ...

Yh I just looked at the question again and saw it, but you posted before I could say anything! :colondollar:

One more question and I promise that that will be it, but with regards to the reduction formula what do you do with the x^2 to make it go away and split the bracket?
Reply 421
Original post by Teddysmith123
Yh I just looked at the question again and saw it, but you posted before I could say anything! :colondollar:

One more question and I promise that that will be it, but with regards to the reduction formula what do you do with the x^2 to make it go away and split the bracket?

I wrote x2 as (x2 + 1) -1 then I split the fraction into 2
the first section gives me after cancellation the In again.

This trick causes problems (I remember myself when I was a student) but it comes in various contexts in this work.

Once you have done it a few times with different "set ups" you begin to recognise it.
My book on reduction formulae may have one or two questions on this theme
Original post by TeeEm
I wrote x2 as (x2 + 1) -1 then I split the fraction into 2
the first section gives me after cancellation the In again.

This trick causes problems (I remember myself when I was a student) but it comes in various contexts in this work.

Once you have done it a few times with different "set ups" you begin to recognise it.
My book on reduction formulae may have one or two questions on this theme

Could you possibly show me an example?
Reply 423
Could you possibly show me an example?

have a look at these 4 questions and try to follow the workings ...(hopefully when you are fresher)
Original post by TeeEm
have a look at these 4 questions and try to follow the workings ...(hopefully when you are fresher)

Thank you so much you don't know how much I appreciate all the help!

I would rep you but apparently I've repped you already and can't until I rep some other members! :s-smilie:
Reply 425
Thank you so much you don't know how much I appreciate all the help!

no worries
Original post by TeeEm
that guy possibly could have done better, but maybe he did not prepare good enough.

A 2 in STEP 1 is actually really good. It wouldn't quite get you into Cambridge of course, but it's really difficult to achieve a grade 2 in STEP.

@bangla town
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 427
Original post by Emmi12345
A 2 in STEP 1 is actually really good. It wouldn't quite get you into Cambridge of course, but it's really difficult to achieve a grade 2 in STEP.

I am sure it is ...

All I was saying is

how can you get 600/600 in straight Maths, A* in Further and fail STEP?

It can happen but what is more likely to have happened is the person underestimated STEP and did minimal preparation, like 1 or 2 weeks before the exam.

@bangla town

Im sure it is very respectable

He did have an offer for cambridge maths, but because of his step results, he didnt get in.

He needed 1,1 in step 1 and 2, if i remember correctly
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
I am sure it is ...

All I was saying is

how can you get 600/600 in straight Maths, A* in Further and fail STEP?

It can happen but what is more likely to have happened is the person underestimated STEP and did minimal preparation, like 1 or 2 weeks before the exam.

Ah I know... I was more trying to tell the other person, 'bangla town' or something, but it wouldn't let me tag them for some reason when I tried.
And that's true but I personally believe you could revise for STEP all you like and still 'fail' if you just don't have the ability, whereas with A-levels you can revise everything from a textbook and get 600.
Anyway that's just my personal take on it, others might have their own view and I respect that.
But he didn't 'fail' - a 2 would get you into Warwick and a 3 is a pass!
By the way, did you reveal your true identity? :tongue: Or is it a secret?
Original post by bangla town
Im sure it is very respectable

He did have an offer for cambridge maths, but because of his step results, he didnt get in.

He needed 1,1 in step 1 and 2, if i remember correctly
Posted from TSR Mobile

Most likely he will have needed 1, 1 in STEP 2 and 3, yes. I see! The Cambridge offer is tough though. I'm sure he was still really good at Maths!
Reply 431
Ah I know... I was more trying to tell the other person, 'bangla town' or something, but it wouldn't let me tag them for some reason when I tried.
And that's true but I personally believe you could revise for STEP all you like and still 'fail' if you just don't have the ability, whereas with A-levels you can revise everything from a textbook and get 600.
Anyway that's just my personal take on it, others might have their own view and I respect that.
But he didn't 'fail' - a 2 would get you into Warwick and a 3 is a pass!
By the way, did you reveal your true identity? :tongue: Or is it a secret?

I agree...

(I am definitely one of the 7 pictures...)
Reply 432
Edexcel S2, Grade Boundaries

Also when I was uploading undergrad material, I came across the "proofs" for the expectation and the variance of Poisson and Binomial Distribution (tough but not examinable at S2).
It might be of use to somebody interested in this stuff.
Reply 433
Original post by Fvthoms
How useful would you say it is to complete the mechanics A-Level syllabus if you are going into an engineering degree next year? Just been handed the Edexcel M1-5 textbooks, wondering if I should work on them over the summer.

For mechanical engineering it will be very useful to have completed (even if an exam is not sat) FP1-FP3 and M1 to M6, if you can find an old M6 textbook.
Reply 434
Original post by Andjffff
Well I'm doing

C1-4
M1-3
D1 & FP1

How is the transistion of M2 to M3? Does these modules suffice for Engineering courses?

Thanks

From M2 to M3 there is a biggish jump.(see attachment)
One of my current student (Y13) did exactly the same modules except he did S1 instead of your D1. I advice him to cover FP2 and FP3 over the summer because he will find himself very "light".

He rarely comes on line,his username is
christoforoua
send him a PM as he will give you his views from a student's point of view.

all the best
Reply 435
Original post by fatart123
Tried sending you a PM, but you have them off? Anyway...

Hey,

I think there's a small error in q239 in the trig book:

With the 5 on the RHS of the = sign, I got a quadratic equation that was impossible to solve without a calc for sin^2(x) (formula gave it in terms of sqrt(41) etc). In your work, the 5 is on the LHS and works as it should.

Thanks.

I will correct itright now, many thanks.
(It will be a few weeks however until I update my site)

Sorry about the PMs ... I used to get too many ... So I use as an office this thread.
(that is why I took this post here, so we do not litter the AEA thread)
Original post by TeeEm
I will correct itright now, many thanks.
(It will be a few weeks however until I update my site)

Sorry about the PMs ... I used to get too many ... So I use as an office this thread.
(that is why I took this post here, so we do not litter the AEA thread)

Yeah, np.
Reply 437
Any strong further mathematicians out there?

Try this integration (without clues) if you are hard enough...
I will write and post solutions after my dinner (about 1 hour)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
Any strong further mathematicians out there?

Try this integration (without clues) if you are hard enough...
I will write and post solutions after my dinner (about 1 hour)

Seen the sub straight away hehehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 439
Original post by physicsmaths
Seen the sub straight away hehehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

all yours ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending