The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3560
Original post by shropshirelass51
Has anyone heard anything back from BCU after sending their health questionnaire in? I sent mine off about three weeks ago and haven't had an acknowledgement, or heard anything, so was wondering if they had received it, or whether the process just takes some time.

I only took mine in today when I went to the DBS day as finding out my vaccination dates has been a bit of a nightmare. Hope it all goes through soon as I really want the certainty of my place as it feels like I've been waiting for ages.
Original post by AmyPilot
No worries - always pleased to help (or try to help as the case may be lol).

Feels like there is loads to sort before you even start doesn't it?

You getting excited yet?

:biggrin: yes there does! Have you got much else to complete? I am pretty excited but that email from Cardiff explaining that even if we have been offered a conditional place, the NHS may not have grant funding for everyone really scared me! So still trying to not get my hopes up too high just in case that happens, even if that means waiting until August :frown: are you excited? Where have you applied? :smile:
Original post by jredwards21
:biggrin: yes there does! Have you got much else to complete? I am pretty excited but that email from Cardiff explaining that even if we have been offered a conditional place, the NHS may not have grant funding for everyone really scared me! So still trying to not get my hopes up too high just in case that happens, even if that means waiting until August :frown: are you excited? Where have you applied? :smile:

Scary news about the funding! Hope it all works out.

I am just finishing my first year at MMU - just waiting on results now to enable me to progress to second year so its all a bit easier when you are just reapplying rather than your first application.

Good luck
Hello. What's all this about the NHS and potentially not funding??!!:eek:
Is that just Cardiff?
I'll hopefully be at DMU! I am just waiting on my offer to go unconditional -- DMU said this should happen once I have been okayed by the Occupational Health Nurse. I sent in my documents for the NHS Bursary last Saturday, and they were (according to Royal Mail) received on Tuesday, but I am still awaiting an email from the NHS Bursary people to say they've been scanned in.

DMU were concerned that the NHS wouldn't classify me as a Home Student - DMU is classifying me as a Home Student (I am Canadian but with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, and I'll get British Citizenship in January 2016) and will have been in the UK for 3 years on 27th August 2015 - which is 6 days after the deadline for the NHS Bursary applications! I do have a job & mortgage here, so I'm not going anywhere.

DMU have asked that I keep them appraised of how my Bursary application goes.

I have looked into the NHS guidelines, and it does say so long as you will have been in the UK 3 years, and have no restrictions on your coming and going in and out of the UK on the first date of the academic year (September 2015) then you will be classified as a Home Student. However DMU have said they've had issues in the past with students they thought would be classified as Home Students, ended up being classed as International by the NHS and weren't given funding.

So I'm hoping for the best.
Original post by mrsrev
I only took mine in today when I went to the DBS day as finding out my vaccination dates has been a bit of a nightmare. Hope it all goes through soon as I really want the certainty of my place as it feels like I've been waiting for ages.

I wish they would let us know what the process involves and the time scale. My drs didn't have any evidence of me ever having any vaccinations, even though I have a TB vaccination scar on my arm, so goodness knows what will happen!
Original post by JaaySLT
Hello. What's all this about the NHS and potentially not funding??!!:eek:

I think basically each year the NHS obviously state how many places there will be. So for example (completely making thia up) 2013: 30 spaces, 2014: 29 spaces etc Cardiff base their offers on previous numbers. However the NHS could potentially offer 20 one year and so Cardiff would have offered the course to too many applicants. In this case some applicants (even with a conditional and grades) would have to be rejected. In this instance Cardiff said they would allocate places based on an scenic achievement on ucas. Something like that for example :smile:
I think basically each year the NHS obviously state how many places there will be. So for example (completely making thia up) 2013: 30 spaces, 2014: 29 spaces etc Cardiff base their offers on previous numbers. However the NHS could potentially offer 20 one year and so Cardiff would have offered the course to too many applicants. In this case some applicants (even with a conditional and grades) would have to be rejected. In this instance Cardiff said they would allocate places based on an scenic achievement on ucas. Something like that for example :smile:

Also this will all be done in August

I meant "academic achievements" (autocorrect!)

Phew!! It's not as bad as I thought then. Hopefully we all get our places funded...Thanks for explaining:smile: and have a great day!!
Thanks, does everyone have a health interview then? Do you know what it involves?

Have you decided whether you are taking the Part time route?

Hope all is well.

Hi! I'm not too sure if everyone has to have the health interview...something makes me think so, but to be honest I can't remember what the nurse said!!
Yes, in the end I opted for the part time route - at least for the first year anyway. Really looking forwards to starting now....
Original post by JaaySLT
Phew!! It's not as bad as I thought then. Hopefully we all get our places funded...Thanks for explaining:smile: and have a great day!!

No problem! And you! :smile:
Original post by JaaySLT
Hi! I'm not too sure if everyone has to have the health interview...something makes me think so, but to be honest I can't remember what the nurse said!!
Yes, in the end I opted for the part time route - at least for the first year anyway. Really looking forwards to starting now....

Thanks, have sent you a PM
Reply 3574
I wish they would let us know what the process involves and the time scale. My drs didn't have any evidence of me ever having any vaccinations, even though I have a TB vaccination scar on my arm, so goodness knows what will happen!

I had the same issue, so I asked why my records hadn't travelled around the country with me. The receptionist then said that they had only looked at their electronic records since I moved to the Practice (the last 8 years). Another visit and the nurse had looked through all my paper records - still no luck.

Apparently they don't keep records of your vaccinations after you are 21... Not very helpful! Thankfully my Mum keeps everything and was able to give me all my dates from the 'blue card' she had when I was born. No MMR though, so I have written the dates of my measles and Rubella vaccinations instead.
Original post by mrsrev
I had the same issue, so I asked why my records hadn't travelled around the country with me. The receptionist then said that they had only looked at their electronic records since I moved to the Practice (the last 8 years). Another visit and the nurse had looked through all my paper records - still no luck.

Apparently they don't keep records of your vaccinations after you are 21... Not very helpful! Thankfully my Mum keeps everything and was able to give me all my dates from the 'blue card' she had when I was born. No MMR though, so I have written the dates of my measles and Rubella vaccinations instead.

What they'll probably tell you is that if they were more than 10 years ago, you'll have to do them again.

I lived in another country until age 16, so had no records of my vaccinations, except for polio when I was about 23. Last year when I enquired about this with my GP I was told that vaccinations more than 10 years old should be done again.
Original post by DeeHarg
What they'll probably tell you is that if they were more than 10 years ago, you'll have to do them again.

I lived in another country until age 16, so had no records of my vaccinations, except for polio when I was about 23. Last year when I enquired about this with my GP I was told that vaccinations more than 10 years old should be done again.

Not sure that is right for all vaccinations though I know some (like tetanus) have to have a booster after 10 years - I had MMR jab as a baby and didn't have to have that again when I started - I have had to have two sets of vaccinations one of which was the TB jab as they don't give that as routine in schools anymore.
Hi guys, hope all your exams went well! Not long now until you're starting first year!

I decided to start my blog as I know a couple of people replied to my post in here saying they would be interested! Here's the link if any of you want to check it out and feel free to follow
https://sltstudentgem.wordpress.com

Also if any of you have any more questions that haven't been answered in here or you want to be featured in my blog then please send me a message as I will be posting a Q&A blog post in the next week! Questions can be about the course in general, University of Manchester or general university life questions- anything you want!

I hope some of you find this useful so far and please feel free to suggest any blog posts for me to write that you would like/find useful!

Thank you and good luck with the rest of your exams!! :smile:
Awesome idea, thank you!
Just checked out the blog and it looks like something that could definitely be useful for a lot of us here in the future, thanks once again*
Original post by gscott10
Hi guys, hope all your exams went well! Not long now until you're starting first year!

I decided to start my blog as I know a couple of people replied to my post in here saying they would be interested! Here's the link if any of you want to check it out and feel free to follow
https://sltstudentgem.wordpress.com

Also if any of you have any more questions that haven't been answered in here or you want to be featured in my blog then please send me a message as I will be posting a Q&A blog post in the next week! Questions can be about the course in general, University of Manchester or general university life questions- anything you want!

I hope some of you find this useful so far and please feel free to suggest any blog posts for me to write that you would like/find useful!

Thank you and good luck with the rest of your exams!! :smile:

Many thanks for this, useful stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest