The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JNicholl
It was resistant with PM inhibited and resistant (without PM inhibited). The question said that other factors (besides PM) increased survival. As the flies with resistance but PM inhibited was greater for surviving. Roughly 125 minutes for them to all die as opposed to 55 minutes for non resistant flies. So from that you know that resistance (another factor) is increasing survival. You could also compare that to the flies that don't have PM inhibited to show that it's not as effective for survival but nonetheless it improves it.

Yeah I wrote something about there being a difference and they'd be the same so there must be other factors. Just seemed a bit weirdly worded to me but aqa are experts at that:tongue:
Hy guys just wanted to ask if anyone made an unofficial mark scheme? Thanks :smile:
Reply 2302
Anyone predicted any sort of grade boundaries?
Original post by Faaiz Shah
Oh yeah!!
I remember writing actin and tropimyosin and atpase haha fail!!

I think it was actin (as per the diagram on the next page), troponin (tropimyosin holds it in place) and ATPase
For the essay (a), I wrote about temperature,blood ph, blood glucose and water potential, immune responses and eye receptors. Included a tonne of other stuff in my plan like haemoglobin and tropisms and taxis/kinesis but didn't have time to write it all! My paragraphs were all in quite a lot of detail and for most paragraphs I wrote about two sentences of off spec stuff, is that enough? When they say you get marks for stuff off spec I never really know how much they're talking about? Any help would be great thanks!
Original post by Jatyization
Hey everyone. I just wanted to ask about the essay. I did essay 10a, And I am wondering if my topics are relevant:

-Control of body temperature
-Control of blood sugar
-Control of blood pH
-Xerophytes and reducing water loss
-Glycolysis (Producing ATP in low oxygen conditions)
-Immune response (endocytosis)
Help would be great :smile:

Yep! That's literally exactly what I included but eye receptors instead of xerophytes but did include that on my plan
Original post by Jatyization
Thanks for replying. Im glad im not the only one :biggrin:. What are you aiming for in the exam?

Haha sounds good to me! Do you know how much off spec stuff they expect you to write to give you marks for it? Because I wrote a bit in almost every paragraph but only about two sentences, would that count do you think? An A is what I need so an A really, but id rly like an A*, you?
Original post by jackkilbeyy
I think it was actin (as per the diagram on the next page), troponin (tropimyosin holds it in place) and ATPase

Someone On here explained that it was tropomyosin not troponin a dew days back ahha
Hello! I did B and I was worried coz no one else did haha
I wrote about tumour suppressor genes and cancer, succession, bacteria, atheromas (controlling the growth), recombinant DNA with antithrombin for haemophilliacs
I did essay 10a and wrote about

Blood glucose levels
Control of temperature
Blood pH
Taxis/tropism
Digestion
I wrote some off spec stuff for blood glucose and talked about the tomato plants for tropism and how the carrier proteins moved IAA out. Do you think that will count as off spec because it was already in the paper?
Thanks!!:smile:
Where's the unofficial mark scheme for both papers?????
So for the essay I also wrote about autonomic nervous respones to a harmful stimulus. Is this relevent for 10a)
Is autonomic nervous response to harmful stimuli relevant to 10a)? I also wrote about he formation of carbonic acid and how its a secondary weak acid. Wrote the equilibrium equation hoping for out of spec marks.
Original post by Faaiz Shah
Someone On here explained that it was tropomyosin not troponin a dew days back ahha

Plus, troponin is not actually on the spec? The AQA book only describes the movement of tropomyosin, so although troponin could be an acceptable answer (idk?), it would not be the main one that they were looking for :smile:
Original post by Wanderlust__
Hello! I did B and I was worried coz no one else did haha
I wrote about tumour suppressor genes and cancer, succession, bacteria, atheromas (controlling the growth), recombinant DNA with antithrombin for haemophilliacs

i did controlling the growth and development of bacteria for insulin production

controling animal growth for intensive battery farming and artificial selection

controlling the growth of plants with fertilisers and inhibiting the growth and development of pest species.

for humans, i spoke breifly about controling mating (genetic screening to avoid genetic diseases)
what sort of mark would maximum ums be for bio5? I mucked up bio4, but this went really well, so I'm feeling somewhat hopeful that I could still get an A overall :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
what sort of mark would maximum ums be for bio5? I mucked up bio4, but this went really well, so I'm feeling somewhat hopeful that I could still get an A overall :smile:

I feel the same, as do quite a few people so grade boundaries for bio 4 probably won't be too high. Also if you got an A last year and especially if you got an A in this paper, a B in the other paper will be fine
Original post by Uberphuq
I think your teacher might be telling porkies.

How can you possibly know something that is outside the syllabus us for every essay question?

Anyways, its over, im just happy all 14exams are done :biggrin:

you have to go outside the spec in order to get full marks
Reply 2318
Biology GCSE ISATopics anyoneany idea what they might l be?
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
As some of you requested, here are the June 15 papers. I have also uploaded the ISA P and Q papers with their mark schemes. Note that I will upload unit 5 by tomorrow.

Thanksssss :smile: Any update on the EMPA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending