The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamesbe1993
I can confirm that he is correct on all those. Does anyone need a summary of the six marker?

For last question:
Mean square = 20000000 and something ?
Anybody remember KE of molecules?
Original post by ShihabHa
does anyone remember the answers for medical physics?

can't remember a huge amount but for the first question the lens was diverging, you had to draw rays, myopia for defect, 0.19m to 2sf for corrected near point

question 2 first answer was dB as flat response at all frequencies and second was dbA as different frequency response. they then asked the significance of the point where the two lines crossed which I think was because 1kHz is the reference frequency and the significance of the peak at 3Hz on line Q - because the ear is most sensitive at this frequency. then they asked for a calculation of intensity which I got to be 3.16 x 10^-3

Was 3 the 6 marker??

4 was about incoherent and coherent bundles and their purpose and a calculation for the critical angle which I got to be around 76.5 idk

5 was a question on a image intensifier where you had to state the purpose of each labelled part and then they asked why you had to use a contrast for X-rays for soft tissue.
was the mean square speed question; (2000^2 + 3000^2 + 7000^2)/3 ?
Reply 3623
Original post by Sam.B57
was the mean square speed question; (2000^2 + 3000^2 + 7000^2)/3 ?

Yup
Original post by bwr19
Yup

woooo
Ok I've just worked out the AVERAGE grade/raw mark boundaries for A2 since 2010

Unit 4
A* = 58 (108 ucas)
A = 51 (96 ucas)
B = 45 (84 ucas)
C = 40 (72 ucas)

Unit 5 thermal + astro
A* = 59 (108 cuss)
A = 53 (96 ucas)
B = 46 (84 ucas)
C = 41 (72 ucas)

Unit 6x EMPA
A* = 39 (48 ucas)
A = 36 (42 ucas)
B = 33 (36 ucas)
C = 30 (30 ucas)
Original post by Sbarron
Ok I've just worked out the AVERAGE grade/raw mark boundaries for A2 since 2010

Unit 4
A* = 58 (108 ucas)
A = 51 (96 ucas)
B = 45 (84 ucas)
C = 40 (72 ucas)

Unit 5 thermal + astro
A* = 59 (108 cuss)
A = 53 (96 ucas)
B = 46 (84 ucas)
C = 41 (72 ucas)

Unit 6x EMPA
A* = 39 (48 ucas)
A = 36 (42 ucas)
B = 33 (36 ucas)
C = 30 (30 ucas)

I've made an account just to tell you that it is UMS and not Ucas points lol.

Anyway thank you for the averages. I personally think that the A* would be around 55 for Unit 5A and 57 for Unit 4.
Reply 3627
Will there be no unofficial mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got same as you on most parts of ear questions, then I did "threshold frequency" and then "threshold of feeling" for the next two parts.
Then for X-rays one I wrote somewhere about "similar attenuation coefficients" for the barium sulfate question and on the X ray diagram I wrote image intensifier which provides real time moving image somewhere as well! Can't remember exactly which part where though haha
How did you find the 6 marker, can you remember any of your points on the ECG

Original post by aprocrastinator
can't remember a huge amount but for the first question the lens was diverging, you had to draw rays, myopia for defect, 0.19m to 2sf for corrected near point

question 2 first answer was dB as flat response at all frequencies and second was dbA as different frequency response. they then asked the significance of the point where the two lines crossed which I think was because 1kHz is the reference frequency and the significance of the peak at 3Hz on line Q - because the ear is most sensitive at this frequency. then they asked for a calculation of intensity which I got to be 3.16 x 10^-3

Was 3 the 6 marker??

4 was about incoherent and coherent bundles and their purpose and a calculation for the critical angle which I got to be around 76.5 idk

5 was a question on a image intensifier where you had to state the purpose of each labelled part and then they asked why you had to use a contrast for X-rays for soft tissue.
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Got same as you on most parts of ear questions, then I did "threshold frequency" and then "threshold of feeling" for the next two parts.
Then for X-rays one I wrote somewhere about "similar attenuation coefficients" for the barium sulfate question and on the X ray diagram I wrote image intensifier which provides real time moving image somewhere as well! Can't remember exactly which part where though haha
How did you find the 6 marker, can you remember any of your points on the ECG

Did you elaborate on either of those points? I think they are technically right but I think you had to explain it in context of the graph?
can't remember what I wrote for that lol. Yeah I think I put that!
The 6 marker was a gift, it was almost the exact replica of a question that came up recently in a past paper
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA5-2B-W-QP-JUN11.PDF 4a
Reply 3630
Original post by MSB47
Will there be no unofficial mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will attempt to piece one together next Tuesday after my last exam in the first post. I've compiled my answers so far for nuclear - Astro is slightly harder to do given not everyone does it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I ellaborated!! :smile: I know, it was insane how lucky we were!!

Did you elaborate on either of those points? I think they are technically right but I think you had to explain it in context of the graph?
can't remember what I wrote for that lol. Yeah I think I put that!
The 6 marker was a gift, it was almost the exact replica of a question that came up recently in a past paper
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA5-2B-W-QP-JUN11.PDF 4a
Yes I ellaborated!! :smile: I know, it was insane how lucky we were!!

oh that should be fine then! YES! but high grade boundaries probably :/ although I reckon I got 6/6 I completely memorized the mark scheme and the textbook for that lol
I didn't do good on sectionA 6 marker, drew a massive blank!!

oh that should be fine then! YES! but high grade boundaries probably :/ although I reckon I got 6/6 I completely memorized the mark scheme and the textbook for that lol
I didn't do good on sectionA 6 marker, drew a massive blank!!

lol me either, I wish I had read that section more in the textbook :frown: oh well, still a nice paper overall!
Anyone remember applied answers?
Did anyone here do the applied one? You know that question where we had to calculate the number of revolutions of the washing machine? Did you just calculate the area under the graph and then divided that value by 2pie? I got several thousand something, I can't remember the answer exactly. Anyway, is the method right? Thank you
Original post by Daniel....
I did...yeah area under graph etc, I got 3600 ish I think...
What about drawing the velocity curve? I did decreasing acceleration, steep initially...

There we go. Yes, I did the same.the gradient is decreasing.
Original post by Vincent Song
There we go. Yes, I did the same.the gradient is decreasing.

Nice....my justification was the moment of inertia increases as the machine spins because the washing is spread around the outside, giving greater r...meaning as Torque is constant, the accelaration must decrease...is that right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daniel....
Nice....my justification was the moment of inertia increases as the machine spins because the washing is spread around the outside, giving greater r...meaning as Torque is constant, the accelaration must decrease...is that right?

Nice one. I did exactly the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending