The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know of any more questions I can do? I've done all of the past papers and the pdf that has al the relevant questions from 2002-now, I don't think doing the same questions over again is too effective..
Original post by Elcor
Could someone explain what their method would be for part (d) of this question please? Here was my method but it was fairly algebra-heavy and I'm rusty on vectors so I'm wondering if there's an easier way:

Find the plane that l2 lies in by using r.n=b.n (plane has same normal vector but passes through B)
Sub components of D into Cartesian equ of this plane to get a linear equation with a in terms of b
Use Pythagoras with the given distance and sub in previous equation to get a quadratic in terms of b
Solve for b then sub back into equation for a.

This is what i did (hopefully correct)

Find AC, use this as direction vector of l2, form equation of line with this and point B.

Since B lies on this line, equate vector B to L2 to get a=3 and b = -6?

Is that right?
Original post by chemlover12
I-zero = the integral of one (limits of 0 --> sqrt3)

I forgot about the limits, now I feel stupid. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by smem_96
I forgot about the limits, now I feel stupid. Thanks for the help :smile:

Haha, no worries :smile:
Original post by Ilovemaths96

Find AC, use this as direction vector of l2, form equation of line with this and point B.

Is that right?

When trying to assist I ended up doing a similar long method and getting the same answers; your method is probably the hoped for quick one
Reply 285
Original post by Ilovemaths96

Is that right?

Yeah that's right
Reply 286
Original post by luckystar1900
Does anyone know of any more questions I can do? I've done all of the past papers and the pdf that has al the relevant questions from 2002-now, I don't think doing the same questions over again is too effective..

Check out http://mathematics-solutions.co.uk/EdexcelDirectory/index.php for pre 2000 spec questions :P
FP3 and S2 at the same time. Why?:angry:
Original post by Boop.
Check out http://mathematics-solutions.co.uk/EdexcelDirectory/index.php for pre 2000 spec questions :P

Thank you!

Original post by simonli2575
FP3 and S2 at the same time. Why?:angry:

Haha right??? Especially silly as most people taking S2 are further mathematicians so are likely to be doing FP3 as well! They should have put S2 on same day as M5 or even have FP3 tomorrow or something...

Haha right??? Especially silly as most people taking S2 are further mathematicians so are likely to be doing FP3 as well! They should have put S2 on same day as M5 or even have FP3 tomorrow or something...

Don't you mean today?:tongue:
Only just realised that my cashed in Maths A Level will be recashed, they'll rearrange modules, and essentially I need 17 UMS max in this for my A*. Not too much lower than the 35 I thought I needed but still takes some more pressure off 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simonli2575
Don't you mean today?:tongue:

Yeah haha, forget what day it is without regular school :smile:
Yeah haha, forget what day it is without regular school :smile:

We boarders are still forced to go to school for breakfast. God ****ing dammit.:angry:
Cant even be bothered for this exam tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 295
Original post by physicsmaths
Cant even be bothered for this exam tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was STEP III?

Posted from TSR Mobile
for example 33 of green pearson textbook, we could just use the formula given in the formula book for perpendicular distance between point and plane rather than the given method which is slightly complicated right?
Original post by physicsmaths

Sounded like you banged step II tho
Original post by DanTheMan358
Sounded like you banged step II tho

Na didn't bang it one of my solutions had errors so I'm sitting in 70s which might not even get me a 1. My partials were **** aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending