The Student Room Group

AQA English Language A A2 (ENGA3) 2015.

Scroll to see replies

good luck my bredrens
Good luck everyone!! Thanks for helping me out; may the odds be ever in your favour madtinggg
Original post by Liaamm
There's two, there's Dr.Samuel Johnson's dictionary (1750's I believe?) which was the first dictionary written and it added 3000+ words into the English language

Then there is orwells dictionary (1984 I think?) for language determinism which trys to reduce vocabulary in an attempt to stop politically incorrect thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a heads up, Johnson's is one of the most influential dictionaries but it wasn't actually the first dictionary made. And Orwell's 'Newspeak' isn't necessarily a dictionary, it was part of his novel '1984' where the government removed all words that had negative connotations so they would not elicit negative feelings upon people. That's why it relates to determinism because it explores language controlling thought.
Original post by frankthebunny
do we need to know theorist names or just the theory

Think it would be good to know the theorists names, however if you're completely stuck in the exam just use the theory.
Thoughts?
Reply 145
did we have to analyse text B and was the second one pc or gender so weird

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found it so challenging at first I was staring at both Q1 and 2 not having a clue which one to choose so I did Q3 first and didn't write anything about PC I'm so annoyed, the questions/topics aren't clear
Anyone else incredibly frustrated at section B? We've never looked at gender in relation to change, only variation. To have to talk about change, pc and gender was just ridiculously restricting, my answer was horrific
Original post by danihamilt0n
Anyone else incredibly frustrated at section B? We've never looked at gender in relation to change, only variation. To have to talk about change, pc and gender was just ridiculously restricting, my answer was horrific

Yeah same here I didn't have a clue what to write at all, so annoyed I didn't even mention PC. Ended up talking about feminist movements having an impact on language it was a shambles. Did you do question 1 or 2?
I talked about PC in third question like language is androcentric, reflectionism and determinism theory, negative semantic space theory and reclamation. I felt like mine was just an entire feminist rant
Oh and I talked about the euphemism treadmill I tried to link it all in it was so hard
Original post by maisiemclaughlin
Yeah same here I didn't have a clue what to write at all, so annoyed I didn't even mention PC. Ended up talking about feminist movements having an impact on language it was a shambles. Did you do question 1 or 2?

I swear there's hardly anything to talk about for PC!! I did question 2 and thought it was an absolute beauty
Original post by Sammyxo
Oh and I talked about the euphemism treadmill I tried to link it all in it was so hard

I literally don't recognise a single one of those terms... My teaching this year has been appalling I knew practically nothing for change
I swear there's hardly anything to talk about for PC!! I did question 2 and thought it was an absolute beauty

There really isn't!! Can't believe I didn't even realise it was PC, don't even know what I'd have written anyway and I know same I was buzzing, did you write about like gender, ethnicity, and class??
Original post by maisiemclaughlin
There really isn't!! Can't believe I didn't even realise it was PC, don't even know what I'd have written anyway and I know same I was buzzing, did you write about like gender, ethnicity, and class??

I opened the paper and saw gender and was over the moon, then when I came to answer it and realised it wasn't about gender and you couldn't apply a single gender theory I was ready to up and leave. But yeah at least section A was so nice! I didn't talk about gender because I was expecting to do that in section B and didn't want to waste it (lol) so I talked about age, occupation, social class, social networks etc. Hopefully that's what it meant by identity bc I freaked out when I first read that but then realised it surely means the majority of the topics within variation as they all form a person's identity??
I opened the paper and saw gender and was over the moon, then when I came to answer it and realised it wasn't about gender and you couldn't apply a single gender theory I was ready to up and leave. But yeah at least section A was so nice! I didn't talk about gender because I was expecting to do that in section B and didn't want to waste it (lol) so I talked about age, occupation, social class, social networks etc. Hopefully that's what it meant by identity bc I freaked out when I first read that but then realised it surely means the majority of the topics within variation as they all form a person's identity??

I was the exact same as you!!!! I completely panicked when I read question 1 cos I didn't even know when the 20th century was hahaha and I know there was like no gender theorists you could put in there I just feel like I don't have a clue how it went I just literally chucked in everything I knew and hoped for the best. Found the bullet point 1's hard, I couldn't decide whether that writer was that bothered about gender differences in language or not?? It was hard I thought and that Romany gypsy I just didn't get it I'm annoyed overall felt like it was challenging paper
Reply 156
I literally don't recognise a single one of those terms... My teaching this year has been appalling I knew practically nothing for change

same like it was pc wasn't it???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
did anyone else find this pretty hard? do grade boundaries like tend to change between english how they do for other subjects ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's normally like a* 80 and then like ten less for each grade roughly, did anyone have an r paper?
The r paper was for engb3 I think not our one??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending