The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

definitely worth looking at STEP questions especially if you want to prepare well for the beastly summation questions they dish out almost every year.
Original post by TeeEm
Here are some typical questions, characteristic of my style.
(can you guess what is the main feature of my style?)

Note this is not a sample paper, just the type of questions in these papers.

How difficult are these questions?

Such questions can be expected on AEA ?
Hm... ive done 0 prep for this and wont start till the 23rd, thank god STEP 1 went well :colondollar:
Reply 63
Original post by xyzmaster
Such questions can be expected on AEA ?

Not the same style ... It is the principle of dealing with hard questions which matters... brain training.

STEP has its own style ...
AEA has its own
IYGB SPECIALS will have their own. I do not know their eventual difficulty and I am tempted not to release solutions for a while.

the questions that I will put in these papers are generally shorter and will have minimal or no structure.
Original post by TeeEm
Not the same style ... It is the principle of dealing with hard questions which matters... brain training.

STEP has its own style ...
AEA has its own
IYGB SPECIALS will have their own. I do not know their eventual difficulty and I am tempted not to release solutions for a while.

the questions that I will put in these papers are generally shorter and will have minimal or no structure.

Q1 was quite a 'warm up'. Hopefully get around to doing the rest
Reply 65
Original post by xyzmaster
Q1 was quite a 'warm up'. Hopefully get around to doing the rest

This is not a paper... it is just a few questions put in random order...
Somebody asked me when I will start writing the special papers and what will the questions look like
Reply 66
Original post by 11234
Yep

I might try to put solutions up for some of these before the AEA exam.
Original post by TeeEm

IYGB SPECIALS

Is that the same thing as your Old Specials?
Reply 68
Original post by Necrofantasia
Is that the same thing as your Old Specials?

not quite, but they will be some very hard papers that I will put together soon
Original post by TeeEm
some of the Heavyweights which frequent the forum could write them.
The "y = f(x)" question seems to be missing information; as it stands I don't see how it's possible to determine f (that is, I could provide an (non-countably!) infinite set of functions f that satisfy the conditions).

The vectors/cube question seems to be missing some wording too.
Reply 70
Original post by DFranklin
The "y = f(x)" question seems to be missing information; as it stands I don't see how it's possible to determine f (that is, I could provide an (non-countably!) infinite set of functions f that satisfy the conditions).

They may be errors in wording as these are fastly written questions, as a user asked for a sneak preview, and not the finished product... will look at it tonight
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I was also taken a little by surprise by Q2.
Original post by TeeEm
They may be errors in wording as these are fastly written questions, as a user asked for a sneak preview, and not the finished product... will look at it tonight
Understood - please take it as "free proofreading" rather than criticism!
Reply 73
do you guys recommend anything for summation bits
Reply 74
Understood - please take it as "free proofreading" rather than criticism!

you should know by now how thick my skin is ...:smile:
Reply 75
can i just ask, is there a deadline for applying for the AEA exam
Reply 76
and do you lot think AEA is harder than STEP 1
Reply 77
Original post by adz008

ring EDEXCEL
Reply 78
Original post by adz008
and do you lot think AEA is harder than STEP 1

Personally I think STEP I is harder than AEA, but they are very different in style to attempt a direct comparison.
Reply 79
Original post by adz008

Nope, but you'll have to pay triple the normal fee if you register for it now, and I'd recommend doing it as soon as possible to give your school enough time to order the paper

Quick Reply