The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
Man, that sucks! Do you at least have feedback from them to help you improve?

Haha, yeah, marking's always been a strength and I actually quite enjoy it. Just stick some loud drum and bass on and off I go!

My feedback isn't helpful. I'm going back in in July to talk about it in more detail.

Wow, having marking as a strength isn't bad going!
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It never rains but it pours, eh? I'm very sorry. You haven't had a good year, have you?

Not really! My lecturers keep trying to reassure me by telling me that the QTS is all I need for a job, but I'm not buying it. No-one is going to hire someone with just QTS and no PGCE because it's obvious I failed the academic part and there are loads of PGCE graduates so it will be completely and utterly wasted.
Original post by Airfairy
My feedback isn't helpful. I'm going back in in July to talk about it in more detail.

Not really! My lecturers keep trying to reassure me by telling me that the QTS is all I need for a job, but I'm not buying it. No-one is going to hire someone with just QTS and no PGCE because it's obvious I failed the academic part and there are loads of PGCE graduates so it will be completely and utterly wasted.

I'm kind of dreading the NQT year for the marking tbh, more classes, eurgh! Not worried about the extra planning or teaching, but yeah - the increase of marking is panicky me slightly.

It's not over until they tell you it is. Whilst redoing your essays sucks, you will be doing them without the strain of doing the rest of the course and the teaching practice at the same time, so it will be much easier to polish them up.
Thats it, I've just picked up my folder from the department and have officially passed etc so there we go!
Rather glad thats all over!
My final report has come out as very good. I am so happy. Just spent my last lunchtime finishing a robot with a group of year 7 pupils :':wink:

Don't know why I'm feeling a bit sad - I'm back again on Tuesday. I haven't finished my folder yet - I have about 4 weeks of diary missing and I need to the spend the weekend putting together two units of learning.

Essentially, it's the end but not really the end so it all feels a bit odd.

And we're still waiting on our final masters essay report that comes out today. I should know if I'm a PGDE or PGCE by the end of teh day.
Got a level 6 pass for my last essay and my sister has been taken in for emergency surgery.

Today has sucked so much :frown:
Placement is over, finishing with my Uni's equivalent of outstanding...
Cried when I said goodbye to my mentor, my department also got me an A3 replica of the Magna Carta for my new classroom. So sad to be leaving but so happy I'm through the PGCE at the other side!
It's really hard to balance the congratulations with the commiserations and I'm fearful of saying the wrong thing, but having followed you all through the year, I just wanted to say well done to those who were successful and how sad I am that not everyone had the same, positive outcome. Good luck to all of you, whichever camp you fall in.
It's really hard to balance the congratulations with the commiserations and I'm fearful of saying the wrong thing, but having followed you all through the year, I just wanted to say well done to those who were successful and how sad I am that not everyone had the same, positive outcome. Good luck to all of you, whichever camp you fall in.

Thank you for taking the time this year to reply to all of us! Sometimes it's been so helpful to have someone on the other end who's been in the career for a long time.
Well yesterday was the finish line. I had my last day on placement. Last lesson was with my wonderful year 7s who all got my presents and some of the things they wrote in the cards made me cry. One of the students also stood up at the end and gave me a speech. I had to hold off bawling in front of the class! I am sad to leave that school, and a little worried about the future but glad it's over. Annoyed it's not totally over because I have to redo those essays in August though...

Original post by Samus2
Thank you for taking the time this year to reply to all of us! Sometimes it's been so helpful to have someone on the other end who's been in the career for a long time.

Yes, I second Samus2 here. You have been an excellent advisor and shoulder to cry on Carnationlilyrose!

Also thanks for everyone else for advice. kpwxx, you've been wonderful too. And I think as trainees with have all helped each other! This thread has been my pillar of strength at times. I may come over to the NQT thread even though I won't be starting a job.

It seems like yesterday I was trying to find my way to uni for the first lecture and now we are here. It has gone fast. It has been challenging and tough. I don't regret it though. I have learnt more in this one year than three years at undergrad. I believe I have a lot of transferable skills no matter what I decide to do and I think (cheese alert) I have grown as a person.

There have probably been a lot of prospective students following this thread, and all I can say is that it does go fast, the workload is manageable (and in my personal experience not as bad as it's made out to be), and it is a challenge but in a good way I think.

Best of luck to everyone in the future.
@Samus2 @Airfairy
Thank you both for your kind words. As you will/have already discovered, taking the teaching hat off when off-duty can be hard! I shall find it even harder in a fortnight, when I have retired, I don't doubt. I suspect we may all stick around this thread for quite a bit longer than our status entitles us to!

Whatever you do and wherever you go, I wish you all the very best.

(PS Airfairy, I had to repeat my first essay, too. No harm came of it. Best of luck!)
@Samus2 @Airfairy
Thank you both for your kind words. As you will/have already discovered, taking the teaching hat off when off-duty can be hard! I shall find it even harder in a fortnight, when I have retired, I don't doubt. I suspect we may all stick around this thread for quite a bit longer than our status entitles us to!

Whatever you do and wherever you go, I wish you all the very best.

(PS Airfairy, I had to repeat my first essay, too. No harm came of it. Best of luck!)

Thank you :smile: .

What are your plans once you've retired? Hope you have some nice plans. Or rather none at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Got a level 6 pass for my last essay and my sister has been taken in for emergency surgery.

Today has sucked so much :frown:

What does a level 6 pass mean for you? You get a pgce instead?

Sorry to your about your sister. I hope she's okay. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does a level 6 pass mean for you? You get a pgce instead?

Sorry to your about your sister. I hope she's okay. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, I get a PGCE. Seems so silly to be upset about it. I tried so hard for it and fell at the last blinking hurdle.

She's still waiting for surgery so she's not happy at being starved and her blood sugar is all over the place because she's diabetic.

Feeling right miserable this weekend :frown:

Thank you for all your support you've given us, you were like our online PGCE mentor.
Original post by Red Lightning
Thank you for all your support you've given us, you were like our online PGCE mentor.

Aww, thank you. It's a job I did in real life for about 8 years, but it was a long, long time ago now. Good luck to you.:smile:
Thank you :smile: .

What are your plans once you've retired? Hope you have some nice plans. Or rather none at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

None at all is the one I'm going for. I'm planning on taking a year or so to detox and get it out of my system. I don't know how long Pavlov's dogs took to become unconditioned to responding to bells, but I think it'll be at least that for me!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Yup, I get a PGCE. Seems so silly to be upset about it. I tried so hard for it and fell at the last blinking hurdle.

She's still waiting for surgery so she's not happy at being starved and her blood sugar is all over the place because she's diabetic.

Feeling right miserable this weekend :frown:

I am sorry you are having a rough time. As far as the PGCE goes, no one except your OQT mentor at your job will even know or think to ask you, so put that out of your head and I bet you will have forgotten all about it by October half term.
Well yesterday was the finish line. I had my last day on placement. Last lesson was with my wonderful year 7s who all got my presents and some of the things they wrote in the cards made me cry. One of the students also stood up at the end and gave me a speech. I had to hold off bawling in front of the class! I am sad to leave that school, and a little worried about the future but glad it's over. Annoyed it's not totally over because I have to redo those essays in August though...

Yes, I second Samus2 here. You have been an excellent advisor and shoulder to cry on Carnationlilyrose!

Also thanks for everyone else for advice. kpwxx, you've been wonderful too. And I think as trainees with have all helped each other! This thread has been my pillar of strength at times. I may come over to the NQT thread even though I won't be starting a job.

It seems like yesterday I was trying to find my way to uni for the first lecture and now we are here. It has gone fast. It has been challenging and tough. I don't regret it though. I have learnt more in this one year than three years at undergrad. I believe I have a lot of transferable skills no matter what I decide to do and I think (cheese alert) I have grown as a person.

There have probably been a lot of prospective students following this thread, and all I can say is that it does go fast, the workload is manageable (and in my personal experience not as bad as it's made out to be), and it is a challenge but in a good way I think.

Best of luck to everyone in the future.

I completely agree with this. In general, doing the PGCE and teaching has taught me so so much. Whatever happens in my future I would never take back the time spent doing this as I have developed so much, had my ideas challenged and come out understanding children so much more. I feel like my moral values are much more defined and I am a better, more understanding person (not that I was a horrible person before, hopefully lol - it's just given me additional perspectives and helped me mature as a person). And along the way I have helped little people develop as people and be safe and happy.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
None at all is the one I'm going for. I'm planning on taking a year or so to detox and get it out of my system. I don't know how long Pavlov's dogs took to become unconditioned to responding to bells, but I think it'll be at least that for me!

One year to remove toxic substances from your system. Was teaching so toxic? :biggrin:

Do you feel nostalgic/melancholic/sad that you won't be teaching anymore?

Also, do you have 3 thoughts/advice for new teachers?

P.S. Will you remain in TSR with Mr. R? It is funny but I always thought you two were a couple. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending