The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

pls help! if you study with OU,can you get any other financial help for living costs?

With open uni, i had to apply for the part time tuition fee loan and that meant i couldn't apply for maintenance grant/loan.

i will start my studies in October but i shall be studying full time. but i will have to apply for tuition fee loan in 2 parts. one, I've applied for now, and then in October i change my studies by adding an extra module and tuition fee loan will fund me for that.

my issue is, that if i cannot apply for maintenance loan/grant..what about my living costs? i live with family but they wont get any benefits for me so what other help can i get?
Original post by Wallflowercharm
With open uni, i had to apply for the part time tuition fee loan and that meant i couldn't apply for maintenance grant/loan.

i will start my studies in October but i shall be studying full time. but i will have to apply for tuition fee loan in 2 parts. one, I've applied for now, and then in October i change my studies by adding an extra module and tuition fee loan will fund me for that.

my issue is, that if i cannot apply for maintenance loan/grant..what about my living costs? i live with family but they wont get any benefits for me so what other help can i get?

The point is that it is part time so it's designed for people supporting themselves with jobs. Unless there are any local grants or bursaries for students in your area there just aren't any living costs for part time students.

Actually, also you shouldn't have to reapply for the loan as you can only have one application at a time. Why are you planning on doing it like that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by SuperCat007
The point is that it is part time so it's designed for people supporting themselves with jobs. Unless there are any local grants or bursaries for students in your area there just aren't any living costs for part time students.

Agreed. If you can fit full time studies around your job, great, some people can. Otherwise you may need to study part time or accept that there is no funding to help support you.

Actually, also you shouldn't have to reapply for the loan as you can only have one application at a time. Why are you planning on doing it like that?

I'm actually going to do 120 credits this year but with student finance I can only apply for one module. So that meant part time tuition fee loan. Then once I start the module they'll send me another form where I'll state I've made changes and I'm doing another module so I require extra money on top. So then that way I can do 2 module and 120 credits a year. So that is full time study x
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm actually going to do 120 credits this year but with student finance I can only apply for one module. So that meant part time tuition fee loan. Then once I start the module they'll send me another form where I'll state I've made changes and I'm doing another module so I require extra money on top. So then that way I can do 2 module and 120 credits a year. So that is full time study x

I'm doing the same. But I ticked the box in the online application form saying that SFE can automatically adjust my finance once the OU tell them I'm studying 120 credits. You can only apply for one loan and it's loads easier to get SFE to do it automatically.

Unfortunately as far as SFE are concerned it's still part time as it's distance learning. Hence the lack of maintenance loans etc. (I do think that these should be available to part time students though, especially as it's a loan which must be repaid by all.)
Ah yes, but I think I did tick the box, just can't remember..
So I can't get any financial help?
Of course even living with parents I'd need something. But I also have a stomach condition but I don't know what it is but I think it's a long term health condition and treatment and Checkups are going on. So that may be some sort of way to get help cause I'm doing distant learning because of my stomach pains.. Thanks though x
Ah yes, but I think I did tick the box, just can't remember..
So I can't get any financial help?
Of course even living with parents I'd need something. But I also have a stomach condition but I don't know what it is but I think it's a long term health condition and treatment and Checkups are going on. So that may be some sort of way to get help cause I'm doing distant learning because of my stomach pains.. Thanks though x

So hopefully it will be updated automatically, you'll have to check with the SFE and you'll obviously need to be registered on the module before that with the OU to get the funding.

No, you can't get any financial help for living costs from Student Finance. You'll have to either go onto Job seekers, which may be a problem with the amount of time you will need to put aside to study full time. Or if you qualify with your condition go onto disability benefit, again this will probably be affected if you are studying full time.

OR find a part time job (like most of the rest of us have to) which will allow you to work enough to earn enough money to live, but not be so many hours that your health and study time will be affected. I can sympathise, I studied with the OU when I was too ill to go to a 'normal' uni. I still had to find a part time job, because whilst I did manage to get disability and/or job seekers at the time I found the stress of constantly having to go back to the job centre and being constantly questioned too much so managed to find a 16 hour a week job which actually fitted in perfectly.

Maybe the private bursaries are better in your area, Google it. They're pretty poor where I live and I haven't heard back from a single one.
(edited 8 years ago)
So hopefully it will be updated automatically, you'll have to check with the SFE and you'll obviously need to be registered on the module before that with the OU to get the funding.

No, you can't get any financial help for living costs from Student Finance. You'll have to either go onto Job seekers, which may be a problem with the amount of time you will need to put aside to study full time. Or if you qualify with your condition go onto disability benefit, again this will probably be affected if you are studying full time.

OR find a part time job (like most of the rest of us have to) which will allow you to work enough to earn enough money to live, but not be so many hours that your health and study time will be affected. I can sympathise, I studied with the OU when I was too ill to go to a 'normal' uni. I still had to find a part time job, because whilst I did manage to get disability and/or job seekers at the time I found the stress of constantly having to go back to the job centre and being constantly questioned too much so managed to find a 16 hour a week job which actually fitted in perfectly.

Maybe the private bursaries are better in your area, Google it. They're pretty poor where I live and I haven't heard back from a single one.

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider it, I just thought the whole point of studying from home would be fine since I'm chosing to study and only focus on my studies rather than working.
Well, I guess ill just have to wait and see which doors are open for me :/
Thanks anyway :smile:
Thanks for the advice, I'll consider it, I just thought the whole point of studying from home would be fine since I'm chosing to study and only focus on my studies rather than working.
Well, I guess ill just have to wait and see which doors are open for me :/
Thanks anyway :smile:

Sadly, nobody cares about that when it comes to getting help. Especially with the current government, getting any benefits is going to get even harder.

Unless you have a university close enough to you to study full time there (excluding medicine, you'll probably only have 16-20 hours of lectures a week) and still live at home, then you won't get any maintenance cover from Student Finance.

Assuming your stomach condition is considered as a qualifying condition, you can apply for Disabled Student's Allowance which will help you get tools to help you study easier. But again, you don't get any actual money, but it will get you a laptop, printer, chairs, software etc which makes studying easier.

Quick Reply

Latest