The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2520
Original post by CD223
I'll alter the mark scheme soon. I plotted a graph of 1/2x-3 and said that as x tends towards infinity, h(x) decreases towards zero. I'm sure you'll get the marks for saying that as well because it does show it's a decreasing function. Differentiating it is just the more common method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't actually differentiate. I just sub 2 into the function h(x) and since I got 1 as my answer it is less than 2... Is this wrong?
Original post by Tiwa
I didn't actually differentiate. I just sub 2 into the function h(x) and since I got 1 as my answer it is less than 2... Is this wrong?

Yes, for all you know if you subbed in another value like x=3 it would be an increasing function

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
Yes, for all you know if you subbed in another value like x=3 it would be an increasing function

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait...... I simplified it, and got 1/f(x) cant remember or something similar and x>4 so as x increased, the whole function tended towards 0. This means its decreasing?
Reply 2523

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, alright. Thank you.
Reply 2524

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about plotting the graph? Surely that shows for all values of x in that domain it is a decreasing function?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
How about plotting the graph? Surely that shows for all values of x in that domain it is a decreasing function?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you couldnt sub in 3, x was greate than or equal to 4

I think we may be wrong, even though its getting smaller, its still increasing because its positive?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2526
Original post by madmenace
you couldnt sub in 3, x was greate than or equal to 4

I think we may be wrong, even though its getting smaller, its still increasing because its positive?

Decreasing just means that the function decreases in value when greater values of x are input. The domain was restricted to x greater than or equal to 2, so if you drew the graph beyond this point then surely that shows it's a decreasing function?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Decreasing just means that the function decreases in value when greater values of x are input. The domain was restricted to x greater than or equal to 2, so if you drew the graph beyond this point then surely that shows it's a decreasing function?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i drew the graph for this and also subbed in x =2, 3 and 4 to show it was a decreasing function! should get the marks either way :smile:
Reply 2528
Original post by HennersPD
Yeah i drew the graph for this and also subbed in x =2, 3 and 4 to show it was a decreasing function! should get the marks either way :smile:

Hope so! Need to bring this awful exam mark up somehow :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hope so! Need to bring this awful exam mark up somehow :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

me too! :smile: hope we both get into bath, it'll good to meet up in freshers :smile: which accommodation have you applied to? :biggrin:
Reply 2530
me too! :smile: hope we both get into bath, it'll good to meet up in freshers :smile: which accommodation have you applied to? :biggrin:

Yeah man I'm hoping I got AAA comfortably so I can go!

Westwood was the only one left when I came to apply! Crazy how fast it all went. Not too bothered though - I'm sure I'll be spending most of the first year out of my bedroom anyway :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah man I'm hoping I got AAA comfortably so I can go!

Westwood was the only one left when I came to apply! Crazy how fast it all went. Not too bothered though - I'm sure I'll be spending most of the first year out of my bedroom anyway :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

cool good luck then! ah nice, I've applied to polden court so that should be good! :smile: ah yeah me too :wink:
Grade boundary predictions for A and A *
Reply 2533
Original post by Yunus_Eskisan
Grade boundary predictions for A and A *

A = 58
A* = 64

Personal prediction obviously. I'm hoping they're slightly more lenient but who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
A = 58
A* = 64

Personal prediction obviously. I'm hoping they're slightly more lenient but who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so too as you know I need an A* in maths so I hope they're this or lower :smile:
Reply 2535
I hope so too as you know I need an A* in maths so I hope they're this or lower :smile:

Praying for us both man! September won't be fun otherwise :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Praying for us both man! September won't be fun otherwise :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know haha! how'd your Physics Unit 5 exam go? I had mine yesterday and thought it went well! I'm done now for the summer thank the lord! :biggrin:
Reply 2537
I know haha! how'd your Physics Unit 5 exam go? I had mine yesterday and thought it went well! I'm done now for the summer thank the lord! :biggrin:

Good! Did you do AQA? I made so many silly mistakes :/ but if the boundaries are the same as last year I'll be happy.

I still have M2 and a computing exam on Monday and Tuesday! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Good! Did you do AQA? I made so many silly mistakes :/ but if the boundaries are the same as last year I'll be happy.

I still have M2 and a computing exam on Monday and Tuesday! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm on OCR B! yeah me too, it's funny what the pressure of exams does to you! :/ ah right, good luck in those, fingers crossed you'll do well :smile:
Reply 2539
No, I'm on OCR B! yeah me too, it's funny what the pressure of exams does to you! :/ ah right, good luck in those, fingers crossed you'll do well :smile:

I'd call it incredibly frustrating rather than funny :wink: I'm sure we've both worked harder than our grades reflect this year. Thanks man! Just praying I did well enough in maths really - my other subjects don't mean as much to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending