The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adz008
and do you lot think AEA is harder than STEP 1

I think that AEA's much easier than I. Probably just a tad easier to get a D tho because of the % that get it.
Don't know how I feel about AEA. Sometimes I find the questions so ridiculously easy that I feel as though I must be doing something wrong. Othertimes I just miss that little trick that makes the question accessible. Did 2 mocks for it during this year. Got 90 something percent in one and I'm fairly sure the most recent one was somewhere around 30% :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by Mendeleev
Don't know how I feel about AEA. Sometimes I find the questions so ridiculously easy that I feel as though I must be doing something wrong. Othertimes I just miss that little trick that makes the question accessible. Did 2 mocks for it during this year. Got 90 something percent in one and I'm fairly sure the most recent one was somewhere around 30% :frown:

Why are you doing AEA in the first place?
Original post by TeeEm

Lol I only did AEA last year because my maths teacher didn't allow me to :biggrin:

(Had to take it at another centre)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lllllllllll
Lol I only did AEA last year because my maths teacher didn't allow me to :biggrin:

(Had to take it at another centre)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85

Posted from TSR Mobile

why?
Reply 86
Really wish I could still be entered for AEA; would love to (and probably should) be taking this exam. Many Warwick offer holders here?
Original post by TeeEm
why?

I think the HoD of maths just doesn't like me. She taught me at gcse and I fell asleep in so many of her lessons (I couldn't help it, you know how your get really tired in the afternoon lessons just after lunch) and I was always late for those lessons because I had sports during lunch on most days. She didn't think I would do well in AEA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
I think the HoD of maths just doesn't like me. She taught me at gcse and I fell asleep in so many of her lessons (I couldn't help it, you know how your get really tired in the afternoon lessons just after lunch) and I was always late for those lessons because I had sports during lunch on most days. She didn't think I would do well in AEA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did you get at the end?
Original post by TeeEm
what did you get at the end?

A merit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90

That is very good for Year 12
Original post by TeeEm
That is very good for Year 12

Tried sending you a PM, but you have them off? Anyway...

Hey,

I think there's a small error in q239 in the trig book:

With the 5 on the RHS of the = sign, I got a quadratic equation that was impossible to solve without a calc for sin^2(x) (formula gave it in terms of sqrt(41) etc). In your work, the 5 is on the LHS and works as it should.

Thanks.
Original post by TeeEm

It was in case I messed up STEP for Warwick. Luckily I haven't messed it up. However, I still want to do well because of personal achievement and all that :tongue:
Original post by fatart123
I think that AEA's much easier than I. Probably just a tad easier to get a D tho because of the % that get it.

imo it's easier to get a 2 in STEP 1 than a D in AEA. That's just me though :smile:
imo it's easier to get a 2 in STEP 1 than a D in AEA. That's just me though :smile:

I'm much more used to the type of questions that you get on AEA tbh. Only questions that are kinda hit and miss are the vectors ones and the occasional nasty series.
Reply 95

It does really depend depending on who you talk to.
(people forget there is no choice in AEA)

A lot of people disliked AEA, (I am actually very fond of it).
As a result AEA fell out of fashion and it is to be scrapped which is a loss (for mathematics)
there is politics even in maths.
Reply 96
Here are solutions to the first 5 questions to the sample questions I posted earlier in the week ...
I had a look at AEA and step papers and I'm guessing somewhere between 80-90% on AEA would be about the equivalent of 1 in STEP 1
Original post by Necrofantasia
I had a look at AEA and step papers and I'm guessing somewhere between 80-90% on AEA would be about the equivalent of 1 in STEP 1

I would say 90% in AEA would be better than a 1 in STEP 1 as you dont have any choice in the questions in AEA, maybe even 80% but that is debatable.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I would say 90% in AEA would be better than a 1 in STEP 1 as you dont have any choice in the questions in AEA, maybe even 80% but that is debatable.

I don't know why but you don't get your mark for AEA. My admissions officer said they couldn't find the mark, only the grade (distinction, merit, pass).

I solved all the problems when I did it last year and got a distinction so i really wanted to know my mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending