The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fizzel

Cech has got quite a commanding presence but he's always played behind a good defence with strong characters, and his shot stopping ability has been a key part of his game.

Yeah that's true to an extent. In an individual sense we have always had strong defenders. However during AVBs time and Benitez'/Di Matteo's time our defence as a collective unit was not strong in any sense of the word, yet Cech was putting in match winning performances(e.g. Barcelona home 2012). I guess how Arsenal play now is different as they're more defensively aware, so I can't see anything other than Cech beasting it there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wouldn't say its a bad move financially though considering as i've said we're gaining Lollichon from Chelsea too, its just unusually short sited of Wenger really but when you take in to account that we're gaining a WC keeper something we've lacked for so long and a mentor to the other brat, who as much as I dislike has the potential to be our future number 1, as well as a very highly rated GK coach who will stay with the club long after Cech. Also taking in to consideration our current GK coach whos moved to Swansea wouldn't work with Szczesny iirc.

At face value £14m is a lot, even taking in to account all of the above its still on the expensive side but they definitely havent fleeced us or anything.
It is bad financially. It shouldn't be more than 8m. But **** it money isn't a thing anymore- with BT CL money and next season PL money, it won't even be noticed. Certain players are worth overpaying for and I'm one that's uncomfortable with signing a Chelsea legend and will probably quickly hate on him.

He won't decline either and is obviously an upgrade on what we have.

But chelsea are a bitch to deal with, KGB definitely involved. Every transfer window, they manage to sell a player surplus to recruitment for big money.

BRB loftus cheek to City for 50m, bamford to WH for 30m.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
Mental health issues are one of the biggest social disasters in this country, it's so underfunded and now cut to shreds, then stigmatised in the media. It's despicable.

it's what you get when humans with those primitive "survival of the fittest", pack-hunting minds take over our countries / corporations
Going to be strange actually having confidence in the keeper watching us play.
Original post by De Chirico
Going to be strange actually having confidence in the keeper watching us play.

It's been what, 15 years? Seaman wasn't great in his last season and Lehmann was prone to the odd **** up.
I don't understand why Mourinho would let him go to Arsenal. He's strengthening probably the weakest position of one of his closest title rivals, and if the 14m figure is true then yeah it's a great deal but it's still not a huge amount. If Cech refuses to go anywhere outside London then sell him to Crystal Palace.
Original post by atom y humber

BRB loftus cheek to City for 50m, bamford to WH for 30m.

I'd prefer "Loftus Cheek to Loftus Road"
Original post by difeo
I don't understand why Mourinho would let him go to Arsenal. He's strengthening probably the weakest position of one of his closest title rivals, and if the 14m figure is true then yeah it's a great deal but it's still not a huge amount. If Cech refuses to go anywhere outside London then sell him to Crystal Palace.

It's a gesture of good will for his years of service more than anything. It's like saying why did Mourinho sell Mata to United?
I know you get utter bellends at every club who photoshop players into their own teams kit at the slightest sniff of a transfer, but for cringe factor this tops the lot by a long way ffs

IMG_20150620_204706.jpg
Original post by The Shed End
I know you get utter bellends at every club who photoshop players into their own teams kit at the slightest sniff of a transfer, but for cringe factor this tops the lot by a long way ffs

IMG_20150620_204706.jpg

And I bet I could find you a dozen fans acting like girls over those Messi to Chelsea rumours
Original post by Stefano93
And I bet I could find you a dozen fans acting like girls over those Messi to Chelsea rumours

Hence the reason I said you get bellends at every club, but hey, thanks for taking the time to actually read my post.

Reported for offensive language
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Shed End
Hence the reason I said you get bellends at every club, but hey, thanks for taking the time to actually read my post.

Reported for offensive language

just lol
We'll see who's laughing when the TSR police come to your house at 4am and ban your account.
I miss baconbutty and smaug.
Pot kettle Black. Every time shed declares he's reporting a post
Original post by shawn_o1
Pot kettle Black. Every time shed declares he's reporting a post

Pot Kettle Black when you say someone's particular post is trolling and doesn't add anything to the general conversation.

Out of all the Arsenal fans on here, you're probably the one most #obsessed with me - every single time you post it references me in some way - i'm actually quite worried.
Just lol, you'd have thought these lads would have learnt not to take the bait, actually painful to see 2 posters get absolutely mugged off on such a regular basis but fall for the trick again and again.

Quite surprised Cech signing is all but complete, never thought Chelsea would sell, and certainly won't celebrate until it is on the Arsenal website. To be honest £14mil is a lot, but if it helps us win the league it's nothing, United did the same with RVP a few years ago.
can we get a little kitty going for Shed End?

Original post by swirly
can we get a little kitty going for Shed End?

I'll go in for that

#SilenceShed2015

Latest