The Student Room Group

Biology GCSE

Hello!
I am 18 and currently only have BTEC science although this is a good grade I have been told by multiple that this could definitely lower my chances of getting into midwifery. So I was wondering if anybody knows how I go about doing my biology GCSE? I am 18 and am willing to pay but I have no idea where to start, all I can find on the internet is iGCSE.
Thank you for any help
Original post by Tiffany0596
Hello!
I am 18 and currently only have BTEC science although this is a good grade I have been told by multiple that this could definitely lower my chances of getting into midwifery. So I was wondering if anybody knows how I go about doing my biology GCSE? I am 18 and am willing to pay but I have no idea where to start, all I can find on the internet is iGCSE.
Thank you for any help

You could try local sixth form colleges as they may offer evening classes/part time courses for people in your position. Try them first, and go from there. If they don't offer it, they may know where you can do it :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by PaediatricStN
You could try local sixth form colleges as they may offer evening classes/part time courses for people in your position. Try them first, and go from there. If they don't offer it, they may know where you can do it :smile: Good luck!

I've tried a few and they just said they won't offer it until I'm 19 😔

That sucks :frown: Maybe you could do that when you are 19 then, alongside some part time work/volunteering related to Midwifery? Plenty of students enter nursing/midwifery a bit later on, so if you started the course, say, at age 20, you'd still be one of the youngest :smile:
What are your level 3 qualifications? A levels? BTEC? What subjects/grades?
That sucks :frown: Maybe you could do that when you are 19 then, alongside some part time work/volunteering related to Midwifery? Plenty of students enter nursing/midwifery a bit later on, so if you started the course, say, at age 20, you'd still be one of the youngest :smile:

he's right, i m starting at 20 and i m the third youngest or something like that so far.
have you considered self teaching and then just paying an exam centre to do the exams and coursework there?
Reply 6
Original post by physio_sparkly
What are your level 3 qualifications? A levels? BTEC? What subjects/grades?

I'm starting health and social care in September and have 9 a*-c GCSEs
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
he's right, i m starting at 20 and i m the third youngest or something like that so far.
have you considered self teaching and then just paying an exam centre to do the exams and coursework there?

Yeah I have thought about this and think it would be a good idea as I'll be studying at college for my level 3 qualification at the same time, I just don't know how to find my local exam centre
Reply 8

I will be 20 anyway cause still have to do my level 3 qualification 😊 I'm an auxiliary nurse at the local hospital but also want to get some work experience in a children's related work place 😊
Yeah I have thought about this and think it would be a good idea as I'll be studying at college for my level 3 qualification at the same time, I just don't know how to find my local exam centre

some exam board websites have lists of them on:smile:
I'm starting health and social care in September and have 9 a*-c GCSEs

I would speak to Uni's though - those who accept the L3 Health and Social as you main qual for nursing/midwifery alone should have no problem with the L2 in replacement of your science GCSEs. Some places will want A level Biology alongside the L3 BTEC - those may well not accept the L2 BTEC....

Once you are sure where you wish to apply will require the GCSE then speak to the college. They should have provision for this sort of thing and let you do core science alongside the BTEC. If they don't they are not offering you a personalised learning plan which is right for your progression - this is what OFSTED want :wink: If not, go elsewhere - lots of places will offer the BTEC and will be happy to offer you a place based on your GCSE grades.

The second option is to go back to your school and ask if you can take it there. Sometimes they can be quite helpful. The fact you didn't take it the first time won't be in your favour here though because you would have to teach yourself the whole course.
Also, if you are 20 with work experience I would strongly recommend an Access program. This can be done in 1 year and these courses will have options to resit GCSEs (English/Maths/Science) within them due to the requirements for progression. This would be a much better option for you....
Reply 12
Also, if you are 20 with work experience I would strongly recommend an Access program. This can be done in 1 year and these courses will have options to resit GCSEs (English/Maths/Science) within them due to the requirements for progression. This would be a much better option for you....

I won't be 20 until next November, I've enquires about a lot of access courses as this was going to be my plan but I'm only 18
Reply 13
I would speak to Uni's though - those who accept the L3 Health and Social as you main qual for nursing/midwifery alone should have no problem with the L2 in replacement of your science GCSEs. Some places will want A level Biology alongside the L3 BTEC - those may well not accept the L2 BTEC....

Once you are sure where you wish to apply will require the GCSE then speak to the college. They should have provision for this sort of thing and let you do core science alongside the BTEC. If they don't they are not offering you a personalised learning plan which is right for your progression - this is what OFSTED want :wink: If not, go elsewhere - lots of places will offer the BTEC and will be happy to offer you a place based on your GCSE grades.

The second option is to go back to your school and ask if you can take it there. Sometimes they can be quite helpful. The fact you didn't take it the first time won't be in your favour here though because you would have to teach yourself the whole course.

I will email ones I'm interested in, I emailed the one closest to me and they accept Health and social care but not BTEC science. I wish school told me I would have troubles doing a health related degree with BTEC science 😒
Reply 14
Original post by claireestelle
some exam board websites have lists of them on:smile:

Lovely thank you!
Lovely thank you!

good luck with your application :smile:
You should still be able to take the GCSE core science whilst studying for your BTEC..... speak to the College...
Reply 17
You should still be able to take the GCSE core science whilst studying for your BTEC..... speak to the College...

I'll go see them, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending