The Student Room Group

How did you find this year's C4 (EDEXCEL)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by geetu123
Hey Teem,
What would a 46 on C4 result in UMS, its like a 61% in its rawest form......

hard to predict as boundaries are not linear, but I would say typically a low C
Original post by TeeEm
I am teaching tonight 19.00 to 23.00

Do you mind telling me how many marks you think I will get for the following :6b) Left the answer as pi+ root3/2 + pi/3. IDIOT!7c) Put in 4000 and then stopped at the point Arsey realised he made the mistake in his solutions.8b) I only figured out the volume of the cone.

Thanks
Original post by Dylann
Yes those answers are correct, well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh great, thanks!
Original post by TeeEm
hard to predict as boundaries are not linear, but I would say typically a low C

If I used degrees and got 27.1 will I lose all 3 marks or will I lose just 1? I don't take further maths so my "understanding" of maths perhaps isn't that great and I've never thought about degrees vs radians in calculus, and I can't remember anyone ever saying we should use radians. 27.1 years seemed a reasonable answer for a population question too. Will they be lenient?

And I also wrote 7.45 rather than 7.46 for the last vector length question...will I lose my accuracy mark or again do you think they'll be lenient?

Thanks.
Original post by Dylann
If I used degrees and got 27.1 will I lose all 3 marks or will I lose just 1? I don't take further maths so my "understanding" of maths perhaps isn't that great and I've never thought about degrees vs radians in calculus, and I can't remember anyone ever saying we should use radians. 27.1 years seemed a reasonable answer for a population question too. Will they be lenient?

And I also wrote 7.45 rather than 7.46 for the last vector length question...will I lose my accuracy mark or again do you think they'll be lenient?

Thanks.

Since most of the question was rearranging to get to a point where you had a trig equation you could solve, the only mark you should lose is the very last one for the answer. I did the same thing, didn't even think to check if my calculator was in radians or degrees and just typed it in.

Also with that other one you should just lose an accuracy mark for incorrect rounding,
Original post by Jemy
Yeah usually that is the right way about writing exams. However, I personally think that it is relatively unfair to have started such a trend within this specification instead of waiting for the next one to start making maths more challenging or rather actually challenging....

Sometimes I wonder whether the pain of such a D is more felt on the side of the tutor or student. I feel a bit awful for my tutor as he put loads of efforts and hours into working with me this year (teaching me 2 hours, 5 days a week during the holiday) and getting a C in the end most likely unless a miracle happens. I might just tell him I got a B anyways...

Luckily I just need technically speaking 3 E's as I got a conditional offer at a Dutch Uni that says I only need 3 GCE A-Level certificates, but I want good grades for my own ego xD

It's because too many Tom, Dick and Harrys are getting A/A* grades. In the previous years, if you had done all the past papers you would have guaranteed to get yourself an A* in your real paper. The first exam season in which edexcel really made their maths exams challenging was the June 2013 season. From then onwards till now all the past papers have tested whether students actually understand the mathematics behind what they're doing. I personally felt the C3 this summer really was heavy on knowledge, with asking questions such as why an inverse cannot exist or increasing/decreasing functions, the k for which there is only one solution for trig etc.

Anyone who sat their maths alevels from 2005-2012 is very lucky.
Original post by TeeEm
the polling does not look good...
it looks around 60-61 for A around 68-69 for 90.

I need to see the paper

any additional thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending