The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shadez
I'm stuck on question 5b from this exercise sheet:http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m2_m3_elastic_strings_springs.pdf

The answer is 1.65m
Here's what I've done could someone point out where I went wrong
hneans.jpg

Attachment not found

Doesn't matter I've figured it out :smile:
Reply 361
Can anyone try to explain question 5 from january 2012 please?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MM2B-QP-JAN12.PDF

Edit: I read the question wrong, I thought it was going down a hill instead of around a bend :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samlyon
Can anyone try to explain question 5 from january 2012 please?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MM2B-QP-JAN12.PDF

Centripetal force in the case of the parcel is provided by friction cause surface is rough

f<=uR but for max speed, centripetal force is max so friction is max so

uR=mv^2/r

R=mg so

umg=mv^2/r

you can see the mass cancels so 'm' is not required

ug*r=v^2
v = root(ugr)

sub in the values and find v
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 363
Original post by sum1random
Centripetal force in the case of the parcel is provided by friction cause surface is rough

f<=uR but for max speed, centripetal force is max so friction is max so

uR=mv^2/r

R=mg so

umg=mv^2/r

you can see the mass cancels so 'm' is not required

ug*r=v^2
v = root(ugr)

sub in the values and find v

Thank you
We wont lose marks for using column vectors as opposed to using the i and j format aren't we? Because i and j require so much more effort to work with than column vectors.
Reply 365
Original post by Jetraft87
We wont lose marks for using column vectors as opposed to using the i and j format aren't we? Because i and j require so much more effort to work with than column vectors.

You shouldn't do, it means the same thing! My teacher recommends writing them out in the same format as the question for your final answer but I usually forget
Why are the grade boundaries for M2 so high 😩 I don't understand, it's quite a big step up from M1 in my opinions and the grade boundaries are so much higher
Reply 367
Original post by JackNorman
Why are the grade boundaries for M2 so high 😩 I don't understand, it's quite a big step up from M1 in my opinions and the grade boundaries are so much higher

It's a unit that a lot of people do as a further maths module. I'm doing it as part of normal maths A level as I did M1 last year, but the boundaries are always so high because generally the people who do it are insanely clever 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 368
Can u explain 9c to me, please? I do not get where the cos 2theta come from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 369
Original post by ike96
Can u explain 9c to me, please? I do not get where the cos 2theta come from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kA4F-p5Hj_4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 370
Hey can someone do question 9 part c june 2014 i dont understand how they got 2.04m
Reply 371
june 2013*
Reply 372
Original post by olatee
Hey can someone do question 9 part c june 2014 i dont understand how they got 2.04m

The extension was 2.5m initially but A has moved 0.46m, so the extension now is 2.5-0.46 = 2.04m. Using a quadratic where the distance travelled is defined to be x, the extension at x metres can be expressed as (2.04 - x).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 373
For Jan 09 question 7b, how do they expect me to know the angle.....
Reply 374
Thanks for the video.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiwa
For Jan 09 question 7b, how do they expect me to know the angle.....

Its a standard rule in vertical circles that when the object is in the below half of the circle the height it has gained is
=r-rcostheta

this is cause the angle the vertical line makes with the radius line at point B is theta as well (alternate angles)
where theta is the angle between radius at A and radius at B

so r-rostheta = 2m (height)

rearrange to get theta=60deg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 376
Can anyone quickly go over the rules needed for a complete circle in each situation?

Bead on a wire
Ball in a cylinder
Ball on a hill
Ball on a string

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im so confused as to how to work this out, supposedly the answers are Ta = 24.2N and Tb = 4.6N.Photo on 21-06-2015 at 12.30.jpg

If anyone can help out I would be massively grateful - I've wasted an hour trying to figure it out haha.
Has anyone done Question 7 on page 136 Exam style practice papers in the M2 textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending