The Student Room Group

Advice about moving to England

Hi guys,
I've recently done my Leaving Cert in Ireland, I've been accepted to Coventry University this September to do Psychology and Criminology which is my absolute dream course. I'm just unsure about whether to go or not, first of all because of the extremely high fee's, to do psychology on it's own here in Dublin cost about 2000 pounds a year. Im also worried that i wont fit in or find it hard to make friends. Is there anyone out there in a similar situation or has any experience it'd be much appreciated thanks!
I met quite a few Irish at uni, they seemed to fit in perfectly-good luck.
Original post by Becca8837
Hi guys,
I've recently done my Leaving Cert in Ireland, I've been accepted to Coventry University this September to do Psychology and Criminology which is my absolute dream course. I'm just unsure about whether to go or not, first of all because of the extremely high fee's, to do psychology on it's own here in Dublin cost about 2000 pounds a year. Im also worried that i wont fit in or find it hard to make friends. Is there anyone out there in a similar situation or has any experience it'd be much appreciated thanks!

I've met quite a few irish and they are really nice people and you will be really nice, so you should have no problem fitting in, most people at unis are really nice
I wouldnt worry about fitting in, Im from abroad as well and so are tons of people and everyone seems to have settled in just fine!

Yeah the fees are higher, honestly I would just think about all the pros and cons of staying in Ireland v going to Coventry Uni.. have you visited the campus of Coventry Uni, did you like it, would you rather spend three years in Coventry or Dublin, course structure ...think about why you want to go to England and why it would be better than staying in Ireland etc! It's your decision. xo
I would say definitely go for it normally however when the university at question is situated in Coventry the question becomes more difficult. Coventry really is a complete and utter ****hole.
Hey, i just finished my leaving cert too ! Got offers from loughborough and leicester for computer science, and while im excited about the course, im not sure about the places itself..

You might have noticed that grades in uk are higher than in IE, have you though about the bigger places like ucc or ucd? Their reputations are much higher so you might want to think about that.. Fees are another thing, and this might be a crazy way to think about it, but in the end youll still be in debt, whether 2k a year or 9k.. Plus dublin is hella expensive, so overall costs might not be so distant. Overall it goes down to where you see your future - if you are thinking of living in uk in the future, then its better to set up now, establish yourself, etc. but if you think youll live in ireland anyways, going to uni in ie is a better choice imo. Anyways, good luck to you getting your results, hope you do well !!
Reply 6
Original post by RoundTrip
I would say definitely go for it normally however when the university at question is situated in Coventry the question becomes more difficult. Coventry really is a complete and utter ****hole.

Really? I've been there quite a few times and thought it was nice, i also have family there that love it. What makes you think that?
Reply 7
Original post by BlueWolf16
Hey, i just finished my leaving cert too ! Got offers from loughborough and leicester for computer science, and while im excited about the course, im not sure about the places itself..

You might have noticed that grades in uk are higher than in IE, have you though about the bigger places like ucc or ucd? Their reputations are much higher so you might want to think about that.. Fees are another thing, and this might be a crazy way to think about it, but in the end youll still be in debt, whether 2k a year or 9k.. Plus dublin is hella expensive, so overall costs might not be so distant. Overall it goes down to where you see your future - if you are thinking of living in uk in the future, then its better to set up now, establish yourself, etc. but if you think youll live in ireland anyways, going to uni in ie is a better choice imo. Anyways, good luck to you getting your results, hope you do well !!

Thanks so much and good luck to you too! :smile:
Really? I've been there quite a few times and thought it was nice, i also have family there that love it. What makes you think that?

It's just a dump but if you've been and you like it then fair enough go for it.
Reply 9
Original post by RoundTrip
It's just a dump but if you've been and you like it then fair enough go for it.

My other choice was Birmingham but i thought Coventry had a more homely feel and the people seemed nicer.
My other choice was Birmingham but i thought Coventry had a more homely feel and the people seemed nicer.

Birmingham is a bit of a dump too but its the second city and will have MUCH more things to do and a much better night life than Cov if that matters.

Be aware though, that British people call every place in the UK a dump. It's a British thing, I have noticed that no matter what place you mention there will always be people warning you about it being a ****hole and infested by chavs etc. :colondollar:
Hi guys,

Don't worry first of all this is just cold feet when you move in to halls remember that Everyone is in the same boat so to speak and most people will want yo make frends you may be teases a littel (good natured teasing) because of the accent but it's all in fun. Then there are society's and nights out oh and in the subject of the Irich accent guys myself included love the Irish accent on girls so (if you are single) you should have no problems finding a boy frend good luck.
I'm Welsh and will be doing Psychology with you in Sept, but I won't be in your classes. You can message me if you want to and we could meet on the first day of class? Help ease your nerves
Hi guys,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending